Guide 2nd Generation CX-9: CorkSport Air Intake installation notes

sm1ke

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature
Contributor
:
Canada
These are just some notes I made regarding the instructions that come with the CorkSport air intake for the Mazda6 2.5T and the 2016+ CX-9. While the instructions are generally ok, as a technical writer I found myself making some notes that I thought others might benefit from.

These pictures were taken using my crappy cellphone camera and my 2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature as the "demo" vehicle. This info is provided as a learning aid and reference guide. I assume no responsibility for any warranties this process may void, or damages you may inflict on yourself or your vehicle.

attachment.php

Regarding the MAF sensor wiring clip

The instructions state that in order to remove this clip, you have to pinch the underside of the clip and release it. This is accurate, but I just thought I'd post a pic of the actual clip so you know what you have to pinch. Also, for the record, this clip is not reused in the installation of the CS intake, so if you wanted to, you could just cut this clip off of the wiring harness to avoid having to try to pinch the underside of the clip. This part was pretty frustrating for me because I couldn't really see what I was pinching, and my fingers were too fat to fit in some areas. I ended up muscling it out with a flat head screwdriver, lol.

attachment.php

Hidden MAF sensor wiring clip

I'm not sure why this wasn't detailed in the instructions, but on my car, the wiring harness was also attached to this clip on the back of the OEM airbox. Rather than removing the clip from the airbox, I just cut the electrical tape.

attachment.php

Keeping the "snorkel"

The instructions call for removing the whole OEM airbox. If you want to keep the "snorkel" for whatever reason, you can. Initially, I wanted to keep both the snorkel and the lower half of the OEM airbox. However, the mounting bracket for the CS intake reuses the mounts that the lower box attaches to, so I had to get rid of the lower box. To retain the snorkel, lift this tab on the "front" side of the airbox, then twist the snorkel counterclockwise to free it.

attachment.php

Reinstall the snorkel with the two 10mm bolts, but be sure to install the bottom lip of the snorkel underneath the plastic panel shown here. You kind of have to jam it in there a little bit. If you don't do this, the bottom part of the snorkel is loose and can vibrate against the other parts, which could cause unwanted noise.

attachment.php

That's all the notes I had. Everything else was pretty much spot on, and I'm really enjoying the added sound the intake provides. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20190608_193655.jpg
    IMG_20190608_193655.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,127
  • IMG_20190610_195826.jpg
    IMG_20190610_195826.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 1,160
  • IMG_20190610_200510.jpg
    IMG_20190610_200510.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 1,131
  • IMG_20190610_202657.jpg
    IMG_20190610_202657.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,097
  • IMG_20190610_203500.jpg
    IMG_20190610_203500.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 1,100
Oh, one other thing I noticed with the CorkSport intake. When the car is in Park, and you rev the engine up to 3.5 or 4k, you won't hear the intake. Also, if you accelerate lightly enough, you will not hear the intake. For example, if you accelerate with 15-20% throttle, it sounds just like the OEM airbox is installed. But if you accelerate with 30% or higher, the intake noise becomes quite prominent. Note that the percentages are just based on my own approximations.

EDIT: Just an amendment to this post, if you're in Park, you can rev it to like 5k and you'll hear the intake make that "blow-off" noise.

Last edited:
I believe this installation also applies to the CX-5 2.5T engine. Meaning that this intake meant for the Mazda6 2.5T and 2016+ CX-9 can also be installed on the CX-5 GT Reserve or Signature. I base this assumption on the engine layout in the CX-5 GT Reserve/Signature (looks identical to the CX-9's engine bay). Also the CX-9 and CX-5 GT Reserve/Signature use the same OEM engine filter, and look like they share the same "snorkel" and air box design as well.

Last edited:
Awesome write up as always. First driving impressions of the intake?

Thanks! Loving it still, the suction sound during moderate acceleration is borderline addicting to me, haha. One thing I'll note is that the sound is quite intrusive, so if you prefer the quiet cabin that the CX-9 offers, you might want to stay away from this mod (and the exhaust as well).

As far as power increase, if I'm being honest I don't really feel any, but that's typical with an air intake as the only modification. Mileage might have improved slightly, but I haven't driven it enough to notice much of a difference.

2nd Generation CX 9 CorkSport Air Intake installation notes

Looks great As for the electrical connector, its definitely close, but I wouldnt worry about it. The box doesnt move at all, really, but the motor will. Couldnt hurt to keep an eye on it for the first month or two, but weve had the airbox on our car for quite a while with no issue

As for the battery disconnect, my understanding is that it just helps the ECU adjust to the intake faster. Ill see what super smart technical input Chase has on that in the morning

Matt Beenen
Engineering

Mileage and power improvement?

Thanks! Loving it still, the suction sound during moderate acceleration is borderline addicting to me, haha. One thing I'll note is that the sound is quite intrusive, so if you prefer the quiet cabin that the CX-9 offers, you might want to stay away from this mod (and the exhaust as well).

As far as power increase, if I'm being honest I don't really feel any, but that's typical with an air intake as the only modification. Mileage might have improved slightly, but I haven't driven it enough to notice much of a difference.

Now you've had this fitted for a while I'm wondering what the differences are with power increase and mileage at all?

Cheers,

Foxy

Now you've had this fitted for a while I'm wondering what the differences are with power increase and mileage at all?

Cheers,

Foxy

Honestly, I'd say little to none in every day driving. Maybe an increase in mileage by 0.5. CorkSport has published a dyno graph that shows an 8-12 WHP increase from 3500 RPM to redline, but I'm usually shifting around 4k while driving aggressively, so I don't really notice much of the increase.

Intake%20Dyno.jpg

If you're a little heavier on the throttle and see RPM over 4k more often, I think you'd notice a benefit. IMO, if you want the car to be a little more peppy in the lower RPMs, I'd look into the Sprint Booster or the Pedal Commander. I installed the Sprint Booster a few days ago and the car is noticeably more fun to drive around the city.

Back