Wheel weight Qs and how if affects mpg?

Wheel weight Qs and how if affects mpg?

1. Does anyone know weight of stock touring 17 wheels?

2. Anyone know weight of the 19 pizza wheels?

3. Anyone switched from one of the above to the other? And how did it affect gas mileage?

Have the 17s on our new touring awd , and out of the gate mpg seems pretty damn good (28 mpg on drive home from dealer) . Not a big fan of the look and would like to upgrade to the pizzas or something aftermarket & clean-looking (almost an oxymoron), but dont want to sacrifice fuel economy to do so. Thanks for any input

There are plenty of clean looking aftermarket wheels that are cheaper and a little bit lighter than the OEM 19s. Try wheels from Niche (Misano, Vosso) or Rotiform (WGR, KPS, FLG).

Rotiform also makes the SPF, which looks similar to the pizza wheel design. Their 19x8.5 +38 wheel weighs in at 26lbs and has a load rating of 1600 lbs. Also, the FLG wheel I listed above apparently weighs 16 lbs per wheel, according to their website. If that's accurate (and that's a big IF), I would opt for the FLG wheels. You'd get much better mileage with 16 lb wheels all around. But I think it's just a typo, as it's a cast monoblock wheel just like the other wheels I mentioned.

Thanks...Ive been looking at rotiform wheels among others, but most are still pretty heavy in the cast series. Would prefer to be around the 20-22 lb range for an 18 or 19 wheel.

My favorite style Ive come across so far is the Axis FL01 as a real clean 5-spoke wheel (havent figured out posting pics) but it is on the heavy side at 26 lbs for a 19 wheel. What id really like to find is a set of mazdaspeed 6 forged split 5-spoke 18s, which I believe are make by Rays and weigh less that 20 lbs each

Thanks...Ive been looking at rotiform wheels among others, but most are still pretty heavy in the cast series. Would prefer to be around the 20-22 lb range for an 18 or 19 wheel.

My favorite style Ive come across so far is the Axis FL01 as a real clean 5-spoke wheel (havent figured out posting pics) but it is on the heavy side at 26 lbs for a 19 wheel. What id really like to find is a set of mazdaspeed 6 forged split 5-spoke 18s, which I believe are make by Rays and weigh less that 20 lbs each

My OEM's pizzas with factory Toyos (with 900 miles on them) weighed 66.3 pounds. My 20" TSW Sprints with BFG 245/45 gForce Comp 2 tires weigh 59.4 pounds.

20180301-142446.jpg

20180301-142346.jpg

IMG-6814.jpg

OE Toyo A36 tire weights 29 lbs. So the OE 19" pizza wheel should be ~37 lbs?

Sounds about right. The OEM 20" rims on the CX-9 weigh 39.5 lbs each. I replaced them with 22" rims that weigh 36 lbs each.

1. Does anyone know weight of stock touring 17* wheels?

2. Anyone know weight of the 19* pizza wheels?

3. Anyone switched from one of the above to the other? And how did it affect gas mileage?

Have the 17*s on our new touring awd , and out of the gate mpg seems pretty damn good (28 mpg on drive home from dealer) . Not a big fan of the look and would like to upgrade to the pizzas or something aftermarket & clean-looking (almost an oxymoron), but don*t want to sacrifice fuel economy to do so. Thanks for any input

You can get Flow One Race Spec and OZ wheels that are 20-22 lbs each in 19" X 8.5" size through tirerack. Forged wheels can be quite a bit lighter but at much higher cost.

I'm not sure how much my 20's weigh but I definitely feel a difference compared to stock pizza wheels and tires. I'm currently on 20X9 wheels with 235/45r20 tires which overall diameter is a tad smaller than the stock 225/55r19. Car feels lighter on its feet and mpg is pretty much same or a tad better than when I had stock wheels. I never had the chance to compare and measure actual weight between both tho :/

For ride quality and tire prices, would probably want to stick with 17 or max 18 wheels. At this point looking into Enkei pf05 or maybe the even lighter rpf1s. Got a bit of time to figure it out until these stock Yokos wear out

I'm not sure how much my 20's weigh but I definitely feel a difference compared to stock pizza wheels and tires. I'm currently on 20X9 wheels with 235/45r20 tires which overall diameter is a tad smaller than the stock 225/55r19. Car feels lighter on its feet and mpg is pretty much same or a tad better than when I had stock wheels. I never had the chance to compare and measure actual weight between both tho :/

100% agree...ours is definitely more responsive with the lighter wheel/tire combo. Handles much better as well.

For ride quality and tire prices, would probably want to stick with 17* or max 18* wheels. At this point looking into Enkei pf05 or maybe the even lighter rpf1*s. Got a bit of time to figure it out until these stock Yokos wear out

Although not a CX-5...I swapped my OEM 19's from my MAzda6 which are similar size/weight as the OEM CX-5 19's. Installed Enkei TS-10 18 x8.5 with 35 offset. Wheels are about 20-21lbs each.

Damn.

Improved braking, engine response, handling, looks, and easier to clean. The #1 mod you guys should be saving for any car imho is lighter quality wheels.

[video]http://enkei.com/video-enkei-ts-10-mat-tuning-series-weighed/[/video]

I think rolling resistance matters much more. I say this, because the lightest tires don't always "win" by several mpg even, in Tirerack's mpg evals.

I think rolling resistance matters much more. I say this, because the lightest tires don't always "win" by several mpg even, in Tirerack's mpg evals.

It's more the unsprung weight that I see resulting improvements in, specifically with responsiveness. Don't think I see any MPG improvements. Best MPG gains are when I drive the CX-5 versus my wife, she is hammer down!

Yep, also have orange and lime (in the motorhome shadow - kinda stunts it's growth). The lemon tree was supposed to be a dwarf, it's like 12 feet tall...lol.

Part of my young life was spent with guava, grapefruit, lemon, orange, etc. trees in the yard. Was nice.

Dont have the 19s but I am curious as well. I weighed the stock 2019 OEM 17s with tires and they were 49lbs.

I added 20 inch asanti ABL-13 with 255/45/20 tires and they weighed in at 59 lbs.

So far MPG hasnt changed much at all. Just finishing my second tank and its still roughly the same.

Back