Spark plug change interval confusion

*BIG update*

I called E3 today at : 904.567.5994 (this is tech support)

I gave them NGK DILKAR7M8 and they gave me their part number: E3.81

Scott at E3 said this is the direct application replacement. Now who will try it out? :)

That's pretty risky since that plug is more of a catchall for various plugs and not specific for the 2.5L Turbo.

**edit**
Looked into it further and that E3.81 plug is actually for the standard 2.5L engine and NOT turbo

Last edited:
The pre-gaps are different on the NGK site... CX-9 gap is .030 vs CX-5 is .044 ..... so there's that... I just thought if it was the same engine, but looks like they've tuned them differently if the gaps are different with different part numbers. I dunno... It's never really been that big of a deal until now with this vehicle.... This job should cost like like $120-150 parts & Labor... The 4 plugs aren't even hard to get to.... like an hour or less labor. Oh well...

The pre-gaps are different on the NGK site... CX-9 gap is .030 vs CX-5 is .044 ..... so there's that... I just thought if it was the same engine, but looks like they've tuned them differently if the gaps are different with different part numbers. I dunno... It's never really been that big of a deal until now with this vehicle.... This job should cost like like $120-150 parts & Labor... The 4 plugs aren't even hard to get to.... like an hour or less labor. Oh well...
CX-9 has 2.5L Turbo but CX-5 has either 2.5L or 2.5L Turbo. 2.5L and 2.5L Turbo use different spark plugs with different spark plug replacement interval.

They are all gapped at .044 for the cx-5 on the NGK site... it just says 2.0 or 2.5L and all the plugs are the same on the NGK site... no matter what you choose for CX-5... Guess we have to just pay about $95 for four plugs.... That should cost around $35....

So can you use the same CX-5 plugs for the 2.5T engine in the CX-9??? I'm on the hunt for "normal priced" plugs to get this done...
No, 2.5L and 2.5T use different spark plugs with different replacement interval, 75,000 miles vs. 40,000 miles.

For 2.5L Mazda OEM spark plug is PE5R-18-110 and the NGK equivalent is NGK Laser Iridium spark plug ILKAR7L11 / 94124.

For 2.5T Mazda OEM spark plug is PY8V-18-110 and the NGK equivalent is NGK spark plug DILKAR7M8.

Apparently NGK USA hasn’t officially imported DILKAR7M8 plug into the USA market. The only place you can get such plug is from Mazda dealers or online Mazda dealers. Those eBay sellers are all from out of the States and you‘re taking the risk of high shipping cost and long shipping time, and hopefully there’s no other disputes which could happen.

@yrwei52

where does this part number fit in ? My understanding it is also for the 2.5L
PE5S-18-110 made by Denso ZC20HPR11
For 2.5L the OEM spark plugs have 2 types: PE5R-18-110 and PE5S-18-110. PE5R-18-110 is made by NGK and PE5S-18-110 is made by Denso.

Back