Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 56

Thread: Spark plug change interval confusion

  1. #31
    Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Denver, Colo-fornia
    Posts
    4,864
    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonLewis View Post
    I've seen 15k, 30k, and 43k on here, with every 15-30k thereafter... All comical as all get out...Hopefully you can blame it more on gullible fools and stealerships more than preventative maintenance concerns...lol
    I've seen 45k, 50k, 60k. I'd love a link to whoever is changing ATF at 15k miles which is agreed, absurd. In terms of intervals, I agree 15k is too aggressive. 30-50k makes more sense to me.

    But hell, I am in this car for the long haul, so perhaps I feel a bit differently than you and Uno on ATF.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 82k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

  2. #32
    Registered Member

    16.5 CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech BRMica

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Dirty South
    Posts
    2,092
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    I've seen 45k, 50k, 60k. I'd love a link to whoever is changing ATF at 15k miles which is agreed, absurd. In terms of intervals, I agree 15k is too aggressive. 30-50k makes more sense to me.

    But hell, I am in this car for the long haul, so perhaps I feel a bit differently than you and Uno on ATF.
    As much as I'd like to have a CX-5 turbo, hell even be the first to push one to 300+hp and 400ft lb tq, this think will probably be in the stable for double digit years. Girl kept her last car 15 years, however, this one sees a lot more miles than that one, and has racked up quite a few as of late (more miles last 6 months than in the 1.5 years total before that), but still under average...

    As for ATF, I'll think about it at 60k, but I don't see a need, honestly, having a daily driver with 218k (4x4 too) currently, and another beater with 250k with neither one ever having anything ever done to the trannies at all, I'm good with taking whatever risk one deems to think I'm taking, however stubborn, or should I say dense (that was a new one on me today, lol'd seriously) I may come off as at times. I mean it's an instance that I actually agree with Uno as well, so there goes that, too...
    Last edited by NelsonLewis; 06-11-2019 at 05:41 PM.

  3. #33
    Registered Member yrwei52's Avatar
    Donated: $8

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Plano, Texas, USA
    Posts
    7,714

    Arrow Spark plug change interval confusion

    Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    Does anyone know of any other make/model that requires iridium plugs be replaced as soon as 40k? Seems way low.
    Iridium plugs should last a lot longer, usually be 100,000 miles.

    $8 a set of spark plugs can't be iridium plugs. Those copper-tipped plugs although are cheap but they won't last too long either.

  4. #34
    Registered Member

    16.5 CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech BRMica

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Dirty South
    Posts
    2,092
    Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post

    $8 a set of spark plugs can't be iridium plugs.
    They aren't, they're good ole NGK BPR7ES (sometimes 8), and they can be had for less than $2 a piece, and are as good as anything out there (so are NGK imo, even run em in domestics)

  5. #35
    Registered Member yrwei52's Avatar
    Donated: $8

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Plano, Texas, USA
    Posts
    7,714

    Arrow Spark plug change interval confusion

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonLewis View Post
    They aren't, they're good ole NGK BPR7ES (sometimes 8), and they can be had for less than $2 a piece, and are as good as anything out there (so are NGK imo, even run em in domestics)
    NGK BPR7ES is a standard type spark plug with copper core and nickel electrode. There's no comparison to an iridium plug both on longevity and price. My 1998 Honda CR-V uses standard type NGK ZFR5F-11 plugs which has 25K-mile replacement interval and costs only $3.04 each from Honda dealer.

  6. #36
    Underutilized Member shadonoz's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    State of Jefferson
    Posts
    1,914
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    Umm I think he agreed with you there Nelson in calling it overmaintenance.
    Quote Originally Posted by RepeatMazda View Post
    Over maintenance =/= preventative maintenance
    So what does =/= indicate? Does not equal, like = with a slash thru it?

  7. #37
    Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Denver, Colo-fornia
    Posts
    4,864
    Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    So what does =/= indicate? Does not equal, like = with a slash thru it?
    Correct.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  8. #38
    Registered Member

    2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport FWD Auto

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    I've seen 45k, 50k, 60k. I'd love a link to whoever is changing ATF at 15k miles which is agreed, absurd. In terms of intervals, I agree 15k is too aggressive. 30-50k makes more sense to me.

    But hell, I am in this car for the long haul, so perhaps I feel a bit differently than you and Uno on ATF.
    I do 1 drain and fill on my Odyssey every 15k which I mentioned elsewhere. He probably attributed that to my CX5 by accident. Every 50k for my CX5.

  9. #39
    Registered Member

    16.5 CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech BRMica

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Dirty South
    Posts
    2,092
    Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    NGK BPR7ES is a standard type spark plug with copper core and nickel electrode. There's no comparison to an iridium plug both on longevity and price. My 1998 Honda CR-V uses standard type NGK ZFR5F-11 plugs which has 25K-mile replacement interval and costs only $3.04 each from Honda dealer.
    Never said they were. Good gawd dude, you are straight over the top with everything here...

  10. #40
    Registered Member

    16.5 CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech BRMica

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Dirty South
    Posts
    2,092
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    Umm I think he agreed with you there Nelson in calling it overmaintenance.
    Correct. Answer still stands. All of this is a stealerships dream come true. Quite a common theme around here, unfortunately (minus you, of course).

  11. #41
    Registered Member PatrickGSR94's Avatar

    2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Memphis TN area
    Posts
    501
    I've been using good old NGK BKR6E-11 copper plugs in my Integra almost as long as I've owned it, over 18 years now. I change them every 10K-15K miles. I use them because they're cheap af and conduct current better than the factory platinum plugs which were like $80 a set, or at least they used to be back in the day. Car runs perfectly, and it takes all of 5 minutes to swap them out.

    However on the CX5 I'll probably go with the OE-spec NGK Iridiums. I have 92K on the car now and to my knowledge the plugs are still original.
    1994 Acura Integra GSR - 368K miles, a few mods
    2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring - 88K miles, the family hauler!

  12. #42
    Registered Member

    16.5 CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech BRMica

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Dirty South
    Posts
    2,092
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
    I've been using good old NGK BKR6E-11 copper plugs in my Integra almost as long as I've owned it, over 18 years now. I change them every 10K-15K miles. I use them because they're cheap af and conduct current better than the factory platinum plugs which were like $80 a set, or at least they used to be back in the day. Car runs perfectly, and it takes all of 5 minutes to swap them out.

    However on the CX5 I'll probably go with the OE-spec NGK Iridiums. I have 92K on the car now and to my knowledge the plugs are still original.
    Smart man...

  13. #43
    Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Denver, Colo-fornia
    Posts
    4,864
    Yep, get the NGK (94124) ILKAR7L11. You can get 4 for around $40-$50. It's literally the same model number printed on the Mazda OEM spark plug replacements you'll pay double or more for.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  14. #44
    Registered Member erhayes's Avatar
    Donated: $10

    Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cape Coral, FL.
    Posts
    2,794
    True but, they haven't been touched by the MASTERS hand, a certified mechanic. On second thought, maybe you don't even get a real mechanic to change plugs at a dealership. Ed

  15. #45
    ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOOOM mazdadude's Avatar

    '16.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD, '05 PRIUS

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Red Bluff, CA
    Posts
    3,464
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    Yep, get the NGK (94124) ILKAR7L11. You can get 4 for around $40-$50. It's literally the same model number printed on the Mazda OEM spark plug replacements you'll pay double or more for.
    Exactly!

    With the price of a set of new plugs costing as much $$$ as a tank of gas, I am not sure why folks are complaining about a change interval of 75k or even 40k miles...
    Mazda's I have owned over the years. (boom07)
    80' Mazda GLC SPORT MT - sold
    81' Mazda 626 DX MT - sold
    81' Mazda 626 LX AT - sold
    82' Mazda 626 DX MT - sold
    82' Mazda 626 LX AT - sold
    85' Mazda 626 LX MT - sold
    87' Mazda 626 GT Turbo MT - sold
    85' Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE MT- sold
    87' Mazda RX-7 Turbo 2 MT - sold
    91' Mazda Protege LX MT - sold
    92' Mazda MX-5 Miata MT - sold
    93' Mazda MX-3 GS-V6 Special Edition MT - sold
    00' Mazda 626 LX-V6 MT - sold
    02.5' Mazda Protege5 MT - sold
    92' Mazda MX-5 Miata MT - sold
    06' Mazda 5 Touring AT - sold
    13' Mazda CX-5 Touring AT - sold
    14' Mazda 3i Grand Touring MT - sold
    15' Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD AT - sold
    03' Mazda Protege5 AT - sold
    16.5' Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD AT - current
    09' Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT - current

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Spark plug change from the Dealer- can this be right ??
    By tstex in forum CX-9 Engine & Transmission
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-04-2014, 02:40 AM
  2. Reset ECU after spark plug change?
    By BADFISH6 in forum Mazda6 Engine & Transmission
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-11-2009, 06:17 PM
  3. Spark plug change for Mazda 2
    By Kenfalzon in forum Mazda2 Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-27-2008, 11:20 AM
  4. Spark Plug Change Causes Misfires
    By BettermanNZ in forum Protege5
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-13-2007, 08:56 PM
  5. Spark Plug Gap Confusion... wtf?
    By crackerjakx in forum Mazdaspeed Protege
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-20-2007, 01:49 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •