Spark plug change interval confusion

Really? Preventative maintenance is considered a waste of money? Do you notice a change when changing the oil, air filter, diff fluid, coolant, etc.? No of course not.

If you do preventative maintenance and notice a performance difference, it means you went beyond the point that, that component or fluid was intended to last. Meaning you were running sub-optimally prior to the maintenance being completed.

Alfa calls for 30k mile intervals on my the 2.0T Giulia.

Yes, REALLY! He's saying he could've went to 100k easily, and I agree, however, I'll buy the NGKs and do it myself, so who knows when I'll change em, won't be before the 60k mile warranty is up, that is for sure... Don't get me started on preventative maintenance...You've got fools around here changing ATF at 15k miles, and every 15-30k thereafter...Comical. I'll run mine until I trade it in at 100k most likely, not a worry in sight...

I have a car I change the spark plugs on at every oil change. Granted, it puts out almost 300hp p/liter to the wheels, and yes, you can damn sure tell when you don't... Cost me less than $8...lol

So every 7500 miles you change the plugs?

Actually, every 3k (only car I do 3k mile oil changes on, if it makes it t0 3500-4k, who cares ). Cost $8, wtf not, plus, it's basically a given with the tune on the car...

Granted, if I had a Skyactiv 2.5T, I'd roll with the 40k miles, but idk, I couldn't keep one stock, so I'm sure more frequent plug changes would be in order...lol

Last edited:
Yes, REALLY! He's saying he could've went to 100k easily, and I agree, however, I'll buy the NGKs and do it myself, so who knows when I'll change em, won't be before the 60k mile warranty is up, that is for sure... Don't get me started on preventative maintenance...You've got fools around here changing ATF at 15k miles, and every 15-30k thereafter...Comical. I'll run mine until I trade it in at 100k most likely, not a worry in sight...

I have a car I change the spark plugs on at every oil change. Granted, it puts out almost 300hp p/liter to the wheels, and yes, you can damn sure tell when you don't... Cost me less than $8...lol
Who here is changing their ATF at 15k miles? Methinks you over exaggerate.

Who here is changing their ATF at 15k miles? Methinks you over exaggerate.

Nope ,sure didn't...

I've seen 15k, 30k, and 43k on here, with every 15-30k thereafter... All comical as all get out...Hopefully you can blame it more on gullible fools and stealerships more than preventative maintenance concerns...lol

Last edited:
I've seen 15k, 30k, and 43k on here, with every 15-30k thereafter... All comical as all get out...Hopefully you can blame it more on gullible fools and stealerships more than preventative maintenance concerns...lol

I've seen 45k, 50k, 60k. I'd love a link to whoever is changing ATF at 15k miles which is agreed, absurd. In terms of intervals, I agree 15k is too aggressive. 30-50k makes more sense to me.

But hell, I am in this car for the long haul, so perhaps I feel a bit differently than you and Uno on ATF.

I've seen 45k, 50k, 60k. I'd love a link to whoever is changing ATF at 15k miles which is agreed, absurd. In terms of intervals, I agree 15k is too aggressive. 30-50k makes more sense to me.

But hell, I am in this car for the long haul, so perhaps I feel a bit differently than you and Uno on ATF.

As much as I'd like to have a CX-5 turbo, hell even be the first to push one to 300+hp and 400ft lb tq, this think will probably be in the stable for double digit years. Girl kept her last car 15 years, however, this one sees a lot more miles than that one, and has racked up quite a few as of late (more miles last 6 months than in the 1.5 years total before that), but still under average...

As for ATF, I'll think about it at 60k, but I don't see a need, honestly, having a daily driver with 218k (4x4 too) currently, and another beater with 250k with neither one ever having anything ever done to the trannies at all, I'm good with taking whatever risk one deems to think I'm taking, however stubborn, or should I say dense (that was a new one on me today, lol'd seriously) I may come off as at times. I mean it's an instance that I actually agree with Uno as well, so there goes that, too...

Last edited:
Does anyone know of any other make/model that requires iridium plugs be replaced as soon as 40k? Seems way low.
Iridium plugs should last a lot longer, usually be 100,000 miles.

$8 a set of spark plugs can't be iridium plugs. Those copper-tipped plugs although are cheap but they won't last too long either.

$8 a set of spark plugs can't be iridium plugs.

They aren't, they're good ole NGK BPR7ES (sometimes 8), and they can be had for less than $2 a piece, and are as good as anything out there (so are NGK imo, even run em in domestics)

They aren't, they're good ole NGK BPR7ES (sometimes 8), and they can be had for less than $2 a piece, and are as good as anything out there (so are NGK imo, even run em in domestics)
NGK BPR7ES is a standard type spark plug with copper core and nickel electrode. There's no comparison to an iridium plug both on longevity and price. My 1998 Honda CR-V uses standard type NGK ZFR5F-11 plugs which has 25K-mile replacement interval and costs only $3.04 each from Honda dealer.

I do 1 drain and fill on my Odyssey every 15k which I mentioned elsewhere. He probably attributed that to my CX5 by accident. Every 50k for my CX5.

NGK BPR7ES is a standard type spark plug with copper core and nickel electrode. There's no comparison to an iridium plug both on longevity and price. My 1998 Honda CR-V uses standard type NGK ZFR5F-11 plugs which has 25K-mile replacement interval and costs only $3.04 each from Honda dealer.

Never said they were. Good gawd dude, you are straight over the top with everything here...

Back