Spark plug change interval confusion

Hello all.

I recently had my 2016 cx5 serviced by the dealership. While there I was recommended to have my spark plugs replaced. I had 60,000 miles on the odometer. I declined, because I believe I could do the job myself. As I was gathering all the items to do the service, I noticed in the owners manual that the plugs dont need to be changed until 75,000.

Today, I got a text from the service manager asking how my visit went and I shared my concern that they were asking me to change my spark plugs 15,000 miles too early. He responded with a phone call and explained that some cx5 have a 60,000 requirement, while others have a 75,000 service interval. The manager said the service writers are instructed to follow the 60,000 interval for everyone to make things easy.

My question to you all is do any of you have a 60,000 spark plug service interval on your cx5 or is the dealer BSing me.

Thanks.

That dude had to come up with something. And quick. And I bet he was very honest and authority-beaming on the phone...

Moral- they're in there not for you, but for themselves only. This will never change. They will upsell you on anything they can get away with. Good for you for trusting, but checking. Make sure you don't take anyone's word, always check and question.

Hello all.

I recently had my 2016 cx5 serviced by the dealership. While there I was recommended to have my spark plugs replaced. I had 60,000 miles on the odometer. I declined, because I believe I could do the job myself. As I was gathering all the items to do the service, I noticed in the owner*s manual that the plugs don*t need to be changed until 75,000.

Today, I got a text from the service manager asking how my visit went and I shared my concern that they were asking me to change my spark plugs 15,000 miles too early. He responded with a phone call and explained that some cx5 have a 60,000 requirement, while others have a 75,000 service interval. The manager said the service writers are instructed to follow the 60,000 interval for everyone to make things easy.

My question to you all is do any of you have a 60,000 spark plug service interval on your cx5 or is the dealer *BS*ing me.

Thanks.

The Stealership is lying. All CX-5's (not sure about the newer ones with the turbo, so let's just say all NA engine CX-5s) have a 75k interval for spark plugs.

They are clearly doing this to bring in more $$$ because even though you and I could buy the spark plugs for around $50, and take 15 minutes to do ourselves, they will charge $300ish give or take to do the same job. And if they are getting people in sooner than needed, that easy $$$ for a simple job.

Last edited:
Changed mine around 80, or so? Ran the same. Same mpg. Plugs looked fine. plugs gapped within 0.001 of spec. Waste of money.

The Stealership is lying. All CX-5's (not sure about the newer ones with the turbo, so let's just say all NA engine CX-5s) have a 75k interval for spark plugs.

They are clearly doing this to bring in more $$$ because even though you and I could buy the spark plugs for around $50, and take 15 minutes to do ourselves, they will charge $300ish give or take to do the same job. And if they are getting people in sooner than needed, that easy $$$ for a simple job.
Yes the maintenance schedule on spark plug replacement is much shorter on SkyActiv-G 2.5T. It's 40,000 miles instead of 75,000 miles.

One reason the Mazda dealers charge a lot more for spark plug replacement is because OEM spark plug is almost doubled on list price comparing to similar NGK plugs.

Yes the maintenance schedule on spark plug replacement is much shorter on SkyActiv-G 2.5T. It's 40,000 miles instead of 75,000 miles.

One reason the Mazda dealers charge a lot more for spark plug replacement is because OEM spark plug is almost doubled on list price comparing to similar NGK plugs.

Still that's $100 for the plugs. The last dealer I went to prior to doing them myself wanted to charge something like $325 for the job. Highway robbery!

Thanks everyone for replying. I thought it didn*t sound right, but I wasn*t sure.

Speaking of spark plugs, I bought some NGK laser iridium plugs rather than mazda branded ones. NGK says on their website that these plugs are the actual ones used by mazda. Any one else have these? If so, how are they working for you? Did you recap them?

Thanks everyone for replying. I thought it didn*t sound right, but I wasn*t sure.

Speaking of spark plugs, I bought some NGK laser iridium plugs rather than mazda branded ones. NGK says on their website that these plugs are the actual ones used by mazda. Any one else have these? If so, how are they working for you? Did you recap them?
I have the oem Mazda plugs, but they indeed carried the NGK model number, so I definitely will go NGK route next time.

Unfortunately don't recall what the torque spec is, ill see if I can recall that somewhere.

Really disappointed that MAZDA has a 40K spark plug replace that early. Many owners will get overcharged from less than honest dealers for this service. Ed

Really disappointed that MAZDA has a 40K spark plug replace that early. Many owners will get overcharged from less than honest dealers for this service. Ed

That's for the Turbo. Everything else is 75k.

Do you happen to know the correct gap and torque spec? I believe the correct torque is 12-14 pounds.

I torqued until the crush washer went solid and then a touch. I think I probably did around 10-12 if I had to guess.
I forget the correct gap. Its been about a year.

Feel lucky, I change my Turbo cars plugs every oil change...

OP, run from your current stealership, and take it as a warning sign to stay away from all of them if at all possible...

Do you happen to know the correct gap and torque spec? I believe the correct torque is 12-14 pounds.
Spark plug manufactures usually don't recommend gap adjustment on iridium plugs.

Workshop manual shows different plug on the pic though.

am3uun00001936.gif

Specification

Spark plug type
PE01-18110, PE02-18110

Perhaps they're different from those in early models and 2016 has a different plug.
Furthermore,

Spark plug gap (PE01-18-110, PE02-18- 110)
Standard: 0.751.10 mm {0.0300.043 in}
New spark plug (reference): 0.750.85 mm {0.0300.033 in}

Spark plug gap (PE5R-18-110, PE5S-18- 110)
Standard: 1.051.40 mm {0.04140.0551 in}
New spark plug (reference): 1.051.15 mm {0.04140.0452 in}

I have never experienced any difference in ignition by installing a good NGK/Denso spark plug instead of OEM one. I've always used iridium or double iridium.
Tightening torque
1520 Nm {1.62.0 kgfm, 1214 ftlbf}

Does anyone know of any other make/model that requires iridium plugs be replaced as soon as 40k? Seems way low.

Unobtanium said:
Changed mine around 80, or so? Ran the same. Same mpg. Plugs looked fine. plugs gapped within 0.001 of spec. Waste of money.
Agreed.

Really? Preventative maintenance is considered a waste of money? Do you notice a change when changing the oil, air filter, diff fluid, coolant, etc.? No of course not.

If you do preventative maintenance and notice a performance difference, it means you went beyond the point that, that component or fluid was intended to last. Meaning you were running sub-optimally prior to the maintenance being completed.

Does anyone know of any other make/model that requires iridium plugs be replaced as soon as 40k? Seems way low.

Alfa calls for 30k mile intervals on my the 2.0T Giulia.

Back