Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust tip pics?

Registered Member

Exhaust tip pics?

Anyone thatís changed or upgraded their exhaust and/or muffler tips on a 17-19 cx5, could you please post pics and details? Havenít decided which way to go...3.5Ē or 4Ē tips and whether or not to go straight or with a slight turndown

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Stock. They look fine. There is a reason for the gap. One I amusingly learned when a highschool friend years ago melted the body kit on his civic.

Registered Member

Ha, not looking to go that big. But stock looks like dual pea-shooters. An extra 0.5-1Ē outer diameter on tips will still be plenty far from touching the bumper.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by Stickygreen View Post
    Ha, not looking to go that big. But stock looks like dual pea-shooters. An extra 0.5-1* outer diameter on tips will still be plenty far from touching the bumper.
    At best it is a 250hp pea shooter. It fits with the narrow tires and output.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Stock. They look fine. There is a reason for the gap. One I amusingly learned when a highschool friend years ago melted the body kit on his civic.
    That's pretty funny.

The things that seem like great ideas when we're young...

Registered Member

Yeah true, and I believe it wouldíve looked better with a single muffler/dual pipes sitting on one side instead of a faux dual exhaust for an NA 4-cylinder. Guess itís the unnecessarily large bumper cutouts that give it the pea-shooter look.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by Stickygreen View Post
    Yeah true, and I believe it would*ve looked better with a single muffler/dual pipes sitting on one side instead of a faux dual exhaust for an NA 4-cylinder. Guess it*s the unnecessarily large bumper cutouts that give it the pea-shooter look.
    "unnecessarily"...how do you know? Why are they like that? Ponder it for a bit. There may be more engineering that went into it than you're giving credit for.

Further, I'm fine with the exhaust. It's a helluva lot better than the flattened Y-pipe on my LT1 and LS1 cars!

Also consider that exhaust systems are more complex than I think you give them credit for:
    https://motordyneengineering.com/exh...nd-scavenging/

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature

I'm thinking of getting a 3" clamp on tailpipe extension something like this Turnout Exhaust Tip to slide over the OEM tips. Just for temporary use when I am using my trailer-hitch mounted cargo basket. The basket corners (plastic) are right behind the exhaust outlet. Without something like that, I don't think it will survive hours of highway driving.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by St1ngy View Post
    I'm thinking of getting a 3" clamp on tailpipe extension something like this Turnout Exhaust Tip to slide over the OEM tips. Just for temporary use when I am using my trailer-hitch mounted cargo basket. The basket corners (plastic) are right behind the exhaust outlet. Without something like that, I don't think it will survive hours of highway driving.
    Those probably won't fit over the OE exhaust finisher tips. Those are made for welding onto bare pipe.
    1994 Acura Integra GSR - 368K miles, a few mods
    2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring - 88K miles, the family hauler!

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
    Those probably won't fit over the OE exhaust finisher tips. Those are made for welding onto bare pipe.
    They are 3" ID and I measure my OEM tips as +-3" OD. If needed I can cut some slots in these and hold with a clamp. Not pretty, but it's only temporary so I can carry extra gas in the basket next time I need to evacuate from a monster hurricane. When Irma hit Florida the interstates were jammed and gas stations ran out. We carried some 5 gal jugs inside the car (previous CX9) but the fumes we bad.

I'm just kicking around ideas for now. I don't even have the carrier hitch yet. Another (simpler) possibility would be to make and attach an aluminum shield on the front corners of the basket. Just enough to wrap the corner and deflect the exhaust gas. I'll wait until I get the hitch installed and see what the actual height and distances are.
    Last edited by St1ngy; 06-11-2019 at 09:54 AM.

2017 CX-5 GT w/ Premium Pkg.

One of the first things I did was changed out the tips, I got 3.5" tips welded on.

Registered Member

'17 3 & CX-5

Just my humble opinion, I think 4" is going to look a bit too big.

lowincash's look floats my boat. That's what I wish I could get mine to look like, dang twins and needing a mini-van LOL

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring

I've seen pics floating around here with the 4" angled tips that have the beveled inside edge that look really nice.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

"unnecessarily"...how do you know? Why are they like that? Ponder it for a bit. There may be more engineering that went into it than you're giving credit for.

Further, I'm fine with the exhaust. It's a helluva lot better than the flattened Y-pipe on my LT1 and LS1 cars!

Also consider that exhaust systems are more complex than I think you give them credit for:
    https://motordyneengineering.com/exh...nd-scavenging/
    Nothing to ponder...most of the engineering into the exhaust is done pre-muffler, while the muffler is mostly for sound control. Whenever you have a single exhaust turning into duals at the very rear of the car, itís usually just for aesthetics.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by lowincash View Post
    One of the first things I did was changed out the tips, I got 3.5" tips welded on.

That looks perfect! Got a rear shot?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast