Windshield sunshade recommendations for new CX-5?

Alicja

Hello Everyone!
I just got my new CX-5 :)
Looking for recommendations for a windshield sun shade, any specific ones that fit good?
Thank you!!!

Im also looking...but it seems that the only perfect fit would be oem Mazda sunshade. Any recommendations on where to get for lowest price?

I just got the mazda cx 5 sunshade and it' s a perfect fit and I was surprised at
the rigidness ... I'm use to using those flimsy $15 sunscreens.......
cost $64.95 and took 2 days to get.....
glad I got it....... so far.......

one thing out of the way......

I got the factory one when I purchased my GT-R, but the problem I now have is I would like to get the screens for the side windows to preserve the interior.

Mazda does not sell side window screens, and I can't find where to get them separate from the windshield sunshade (except for some "universal" ones).

I just throw that out there in case others might be looking for screens all the way around...custom-fit side screens seem to only be available as part of a complete set, so don't pick out a sunshade now thinking you can get the side screens later.

Maybe someone will come along with a side screen recommendation and prove me wrong.

I got the factory one when I purchased my GT-R, but the problem I now have is I would like to get the screens for the side windows to preserve the interior.

Mazda does not sell side window screens, and I can't find where to get them separate from the windshield sunshade (except for some "universal" ones).

I just throw that out there in case others might be looking for screens all the way around...custom-fit side screens seem to only be available as part of a complete set, so don't pick out a sunshade now thinking you can get the side screens later.

Maybe someone will come along with a side screen recommendation and prove me wrong.

If you can find someone to ship them from Australia you can get OEM back side screens. The part number is: KF11ACSRD

I tried, but couldn't find anyone to ship it to the states. Maybe you'll have better luck than me. Cheers!

If you can find someone to ship them from Australia you can get OEM back side screens. The part number is: KF11ACSRD

I tried, but couldn't find anyone to ship it to the states. Maybe you'll have better luck than me. Cheers!

Interesting.

Thanks for that. I gotta think that delivered cost might be a little high, but it's still worth investigating.

what about this from amazon, I've been looking at them for a few weeks..........guess the
link will work......

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I've run into this issue on other Amazon products for my car...the description says "2019 Mazda CX-5," but there is a note at the top that says "We need more information in order to make certain this works for your vehicle." So I enter 2019/Mazda/CX-5 and get the message <i>This does not fit your 2019 Mazda CX-5</i>.

(I'm also looking for rear shades. They can stay in permanently.)

I just picked up the factory accessory for our '16 and so far I am pleased.

Yes, the shade is long as the windshield height is much greater than people think.

Yes, the shade fits well enough and there was no doubt that it would fit. It is not 100% coverage, but 90-95% is good enough IMHO.

I believe they now come with their own bag. Mine did not, but I converted a folding camping chair bag into the sunshade holder bag; perfect fit. Storage of the bag can be difficult (odd) with passengers and/or cargo.

Yes, the silver shade will get hot when in the windshield for an extended amount of time.

Yes, the accordion-style, folding, cardboard factory accessory shade can be cumbersome to install and remove while sitting in the front seat or with someone sitting in the front seat.

I think the stitching along each of the seems could be reinforced with some stitch glue, but I haven't gone that far yet with it as it is only 2 months old.

I find the firm board shade to be superior to the flimsy roll up foil type shade.

However, in my VW, I've had great success with the folding two-circles, type of textile shade, but I think the CX-5 needs the L or XL version due to the height of the windshield. I don't fold it past half, so it sits in the back seat as a giant circle/square, but it is only me in the car...

I like the Mazda factory accessory despite the somewhat steep price some might think it is. A Covercraft sun shade is your next best option.

Hello Everyone!
I just got my new CX-5 :)
Looking for recommendations for a windshield sun shade, any specific ones that fit good?
Thank you!!!

Like the majority of CX-5 owners who are concerned about sun damage and interior heat, why not have your windows tinted.

This will give you almost 100% UV protection, even while driving your vehicle when you would normally not have the shields in place.

I'm also using the OEM mazda windshield shade and I think they're great. Used these type on my previous cars too and much prefer these than the aluminum roll up ones. My windshield is also tinted 70% and blocks a lot of heat while driving. I've tinted my windshield on all the cars I've driven in the past 17 years.

Interesting about the sunshade thing for side windows, my sides are tinted as well and the seats don't get hot when it's facing sun so don't think it's necessary unless you're not tinted.

I've had Covercraft brand sunshades in my last three vehicles, and while relatively expensive, I can highly recommend them. All fit perfectly, including the one for my 2019 CX-5, and are high quality and last for the duration. The angle of the glass in my current vehicle, however, makes it a bit more difficult to get the lower right side perfectly in place from the driver's seat. I also had to cut out a bit for where I mounted my dashcam, but that's not a negative reflection (ha) on the fit of the sunshade.

The OEM shades are fine (neighbor has one in his CX-5), but I didn't want a logo on mine.

FYI on the windshield tinting--some states don't permit that at all or only in particular circumstances. Florida for example only allows non-reflective tint above the AS1 line, and if there is no AS1 line on the windshield, no tint is allowed. Neither my 2016 nor my 2019 CX-5 windshields have AS1 lines. I know some people just take their chances and ignore such laws, but I tend to err on the side of caution.

Does the OEM sunshade allow for cutting out for a dashcam?

Just to clarify further for my comment about the CoverCraft shade: I had to cut out a lower center notch for my dash cam mounted on my rearview mirror sensor cover. This was only because I sometimes use parking mode and need a clear view for the cam. The CC shade is nicely finished with what appears to be a sewn-in darker color fabric edging and is a multi-layer system (heavier outer shell with almost a corrugated type interior--maybe more like a cellular window shade for heat dispersion). I started to use scissors to cut the notch, but noticed it was crushing the shade too much. I ended up using a thin bladed coping saw, which caused less damage. To finish the rough edge, I used an adhesive cloth tape I originally bought for wrapping wiring for my trailer hitch wiring harness. Ended up with a moderately fine finish, but anyway mostly invisible from the outside of the car.

PS: I had the same dash cam installed in the same location in my 2016, but the CC shade I had for that one did not require any cutting out further. This only applies to my 2019.

Last edited:
I like the Mazda factory accessory despite the somewhat steep price some might think it is. A Covercraft sun shade is your next best option.

When you bought the OEM, you bought a CoverCraft, most likely with a $15 extra OEM charge...

$55

attachment.php

Last edited:
I've had Covercraft brand sunshades in my last three vehicles, and while relatively expensive, I can highly recommend them. All fit perfectly, including the one for my 2019 CX-5, and are high quality and last for the duration. The angle of the glass in my current vehicle, however, makes it a bit more difficult to get the lower right side perfectly in place from the driver's seat. I also had to cut out a bit for where I mounted my dashcam, but that's not a negative reflection (ha) on the fit of the sunshade.

The OEM shades are fine (neighbor has one in his CX-5), but I didn't want a logo on mine.

FYI on the windshield tinting--some states don't permit that at all or only in particular circumstances. Florida for example only allows non-reflective tint above the AS1 line, and if there is no AS1 line on the windshield, no tint is allowed. Neither my 2016 nor my 2019 CX-5 windshields have AS1 lines. I know some people just take their chances and ignore such laws, but I tend to err on the side of caution.

I want to get the covercraft ones too because it has no logo, I'll wait till mine is worn out then get that lol Windshield tint is illegal in all 50 states but honestly it's so light it's barely noticeable, you only feel the difference of not feeling much heat coming from up front. It's the biggest piece of glass on the whole car, with most heat coming in from, so it makes most sense to get that tinted (with the lightest most effective tint possible)

This is 70% on the whole windshield, parked outside with the OEM shade up, it helps tremendously.

47708891202_6b48acd2fb_b.jpg

Back