What's Likely To Change For 2020?

:
2020 CX-5
My 2016 CX-5 just turned over 70,000 miles and I'm kind of thinking of trading up to the Signature trim. About once a week I do an interstate merge where a few more ponies under the hood would make things less stressful. The 2016 runs just fine and I'm in no great rush to make a trade. Based on past conduct, when is Mazda likely to release the 2020 versions of the CX-5 and when do they usually announce what changes the next model year will incorporate?

The most frequent criticism I see of the current Signature is the small size of the infotainment display and how slow it operates. Is this something likely to change for 2020? The display screen is integrated into the dash design and it doesn't look like Mazda could just enlarge the screen size without making additional design changes. The typical screen size for higher end autos is approaching iPad size, which may be required given how integral the display is to the operation of the vehicle.

Keep in mind that Mazda makes use of the commander knob over actually interacting with (touching) the screen itself. I doubt they'd go to a full iPad size screen anytime soon because of that. Plus you already mentioned the other redesigns that would need to take place with the dash to accommodate a bigger screen.

I hope they dont take it too far like Tesla..... giant iPad isnt the solution to everything!

I*m fine with the current screen size but I would like better resolution.

I think they could change the dash to integrate a newer Mazda3 sized screen rather easily. It*s really no more complicated or intrusive than the changes they made for the Sig.

If I were shopping for a new CX-5, I*d probably wait until the 2020 changes start leaking around August.

I dont think it will change much until the next refresh honestly. And then probably what the new 3 has.

Honestly, I am not sure what Mazda needs to do. Sales this year have been terrible and the cars are better than ever. The Mazda 6 was down 50% year over year. Even the CX-5 is not selling in volume like last year. And profits are down as well, which is really bad news.

For 2020, I think the improvements will be minor. For 2021, I see a major refresh to bring all the new stuff from the Mazda 3 into the CX-5.

I think the problem is their brand image honesty. I know a lot of people who will not consider anything outside Toyota or Honda and think Mazda is Ford.

Even though imo the Mazda offering is better than those two in almost every category where they compete.

Last edited:
Honestly, I am not sure what Mazda needs to do. Sales this year have been terrible and the cars are better than ever. The Mazda 6 was down 50% year over year. Even the CX-5 is not selling in volume like last year. And profits are down as well, which is really bad news.

For 2020, I think the improvements will be minor. For 2021, I see a major refresh to bring all the new stuff from the Mazda 3 into the CX-5.

I don*t see it working like that for several reasons.

1. A 4-year cycle for the current CX-5 gen is too short.

2. Mazda isnt going to take a year off from inching the CX-5 toward luxury. The infotainment suite is the most glaring non-luxury feature on the 2019, and it*s hardly a major lift considering all the changes they introduced this year.

3. Mazda plans all of these things well in advance, so the sales situation this year (which is down across the industry, btw) shouldn*t have much bearing on whether they introduce subtle features like a better nav screen.

i think the problem is their brand image honesty. I know a lot of people who will not consider anything outside toyota or honda and think mazda is ford.

Even though imo the mazda offering is better than those two in almost every category where they compete.

bingo.

with the introduction of the gt-r and the signature for the '19 MY, i do not think there will be any updates to the 2020 model.
but that goes against the mid model refresh cycle which happens to all cars. I would say maybe update the awd system to what the new 3 has.

I think the problem is their brand image honesty. I know a lot of people who will not consider anything outside Toyota or Honda and think Mazda is Ford.

Even though imo the Mazda offering is better than those two in almost every category where they compete.

imho...It could be Mazda Used car sales have gone up which could be an indication that word of mouth regarding current mazdas as being more reliable now hence eating into new Mazda sales? If so then this is a good problem in the long term BUT only if Mazda improve's its dealer network.

Back