CX-5 Turbo Intake Filter same as Non-Turbo?

:
2019 CX-5 GTR
Anyone know if the CX-5 turbo engine uses the same air filter as the non-turbo or is it the same as the CX-9?

Been seeing this question pop up a bit lately, so I went out to my CX-9 and took a couple of pictures.

attachment.php

attachment.php

If the filter on the CX-5's 2.5T engine has the same design and markings on it, it's the same filter. Can anyone confirm?

Just FYI, the OEM part number for the CX-9 filter is PY8W133A0.

Here are the part numbers for the aftermarket filters:

STP: SA12167
WIX: WA9790
K&N: 33-3024

Attachments

• IMG_20190606_150717.jpg
    IMG_20190606_150717.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 1,568
  • IMG_20190606_150809.jpg
    IMG_20190606_150809.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 1,593
Thanks for the pics, this helped a lot. Picked up my new GTR and checked out the air filter, looks similar to the CX-9 filter.

you can check on the kn site catalog.
if same part number for cx5 na vs turbo, then its same size.

Replaced my air filter today, after 1 year, 13k miles I used a WIX WA9790, cost a little over $30 with shipping from Rock Auto. Comparing the two they appear to be identical, same number of pleats, material looked and felt the same. Holding them up to the light produced the same light passing thru (except the old was a little cloudier, even where i cleaned ti). The old one is on the left.

Old dirty one and new one.jpg

Your title is comparing CX-5 Non Turbo and Turbo filter so not sure why you brought a CX-9 into this discussion? I'm guessing because you are assuming the same non-turbo engines from two different models have the same intake. They do not. If you look on the WIX website, the filters are different part numbers and different sizes for turbo and non-turbo for the CX-5. The CX-9 non-turbo is the same filter as the CX-5 turbo but NOT the CX-5 non-turbo. If someone bought the same filter you did for their CX-5 Non Turbo, it wouldn't fit. So the answer to the question in the title of this thread is not yes, but NO.

Attachments

• 2023-10-01 11 32 45.jpg
    2023-10-01 11 32 45.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Anyone know if the CX-5 turbo engine uses the same air filter as the non-turbo or is it the same as the CX-9?
No, just like the oil filter, the air filter is NOT the same on CX-5 between 2.5L NA and 2.5T.

Part No. for 2.5L NA on CX-5: PE07-13-3A0A

Part No. for 2.5T on CX-5 / CX-9: PY8W-13-3A0

Your title is comparing CX-5 Non Turbo and Turbo filter so not sure why you brought a CX-9 into this discussion? I'm guessing because you are assuming the same non-turbo engines from two different models have the same intake. They do not. If you look on the WIX website, the filters are different part numbers and different sizes for turbo and non-turbo for the CX-5. The CX-9 non-turbo is the same filter as the CX-5 turbo but NOT the CX-5 non-turbo. If someone bought the same filter you did for their CX-5 Non Turbo, it wouldn't fit. So the answer to the question in the title of this thread is not yes, but NO.

The non-turbo 2.5L CX-9 doesn't exist. The CX-5 and the CX-9 use the same turbo engine, and share many of the same parts, like the air filter, as yrwei pointed out above. Other shared parts include spark plugs and engine oil filters.

Back