2019 CX-5 Signature, whistling noise on highway or high speeds

colden

Hey folks,

I recently purchased a 2019 Grey Mazda CX5 Signature (one month ago), but I wanted to know if anyone else had a similar issue. I started noticing a minor whistling noise on the highway, probably about two weeks in with the car. It was minor enough I couldn't hear it when I played music (I play music pretty loud), but if there's no music playing, you can definitely hear it. You can only hear it when you are probably traveling 50+mph.

I tried playing with the windows, sun roof, doors, but I just can't seem to figure out how to get rid of the sound. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

EDIT: I also have roof racks

Last edited:
Taking a shot in the dark - my 2017 had a similar issue.

My whistle was the wind around the driver's side mirror. Oddly enough when I rolled down the driver's window the sound went away. I chalked it up to the aerodynamics of the vehicle.

Do you have the roof racks? I remember hearing someone having a whistle and it was coming from his roof racks.

I have a 2019 Sig that came with roof rails and I hear the whistle when I go 50+ as well. After further inspection of the driver side rails I believe it's the end cap that's causing the whistle. I'm planning to bring this up when I go in for my first oil change.

Do you have the roof racks? I remember hearing someone having a whistle and it was coming from his roof racks.

I have a 2019 Sig that came with roof rails and I hear the whistle when I go 50+ as well. After further inspection of the driver side rails I believe it's the end cap that's causing the whistle. I'm planning to bring this up when I go in for my first oil change.

Yep, I have roof rails. Hmm I guess I'll have to play around with the roof rails? It's definitely coming from the left side of the car, so maybe the left rail? I was going to ask the dealer too when its my first oil change.

I played around with my roof rail and narrowed the noise down to the small end cap. I put a piece of tape over the gap and the whistling went away. If I ever go back to the dealer for any reason, I will have them look at it.
20181012-062426.jpg

I played around with my roof rail and narrowed the noise down to the small end cap. I put a piece of tape over the gap and the whistling went away. If I ever go back to the dealer for any reason, I will have them look at it.
20181012-062426.jpg

whoa, good find, would have never guessed, glad you were able to somewhat solve the problem, looking at that I can see why there would be a whistling sound if there is a gap between the end cap and rail, the wind would flow thru that hollow rail and would basically be a giant whistle... hopefully it's an easy fix, just need to tighten some loose screw to reduce the gap

Last edited:
Perhaps I'll tape mine up too as I'm certain that's where the whistling is coming from. I think it's just an edge of the end cap that sticks out that's causing the whistle.

Side note: Sorry to take this off topic but since we're discussing the Signature model I was wondering anyone else with a Sig can confirm their footwell light is always on?

Last edited:
whoa, good find, would have never guessed, glad you were able to somewhat solve the problem, looking at that I can see why there would be a whistling sound if there is a gap between the end cap and rail, the wind would flow thru that hollow rail and would basically be a giant whistle... hopefully it's an easy fix, just need to tighten some loose screw to reduce the gap

I tried unsuccessfully to relocate the cap...no luck.

My whistling existed before I put the cross rails on. It bugged the crap out of me...my wife thought I was crazy. Not too fond of my dealer crawling all over my perfectly corrected paint. I was planning on powdercoated the rails black...at least the strip of electrical tape will match better!!

1. With roof racks, I definitely have noise (especially with the moonroof open)

2. re the whistling, amazing that @wrxray was able to find that. I took a peak at mine and can assume the whistle I hear is from that (I hear it intermittently over 85mph)

I have access to 3D printers, but I am not great at designing. If someone has a good idea to design or scan the area and make the model, I can print it and try / mail you the pieces.

Do we think it is truly the lip between the front cap and the main bar, or could it also be the lift between the front bar cap and windshield (aka the tape in the pic just disrupted airflow which prevented the whistle but wasn't the main cause)

Side note: Sorry to take this off topic but since we're discussing the Signature model I was wondering anyone else with a Sig can confirm their footwell light is always on?

Had to look it up myself. See pg 9-16 in the manual. Looks like the Sig trim ambient lighting is normally on in conjunction with the parking lights or headlights--you can adjust the illumination level or turn it off completely. I assume that means they still come on as one enters or exits the vehicle, but then go off when the rest of the entry lights do.

1. With roof racks, I definitely have noise (especially with the moonroof open)

2. re the whistling, amazing that @wrxray was able to find that. I took a peak at mine and can assume the whistle I hear is from that (I hear it intermittently over 85mph)

I have access to 3D printers, but I am not great at designing. If someone has a good idea to design or scan the area and make the model, I can print it and try / mail you the pieces.

Do we think it is truly the lip between the front cap and the main bar, or could it also be the lift between the front bar cap and windshield (aka the tape in the pic just disrupted airflow which prevented the whistle but wasn't the main cause)

I couldn't believe the tape made the whistling go away either. The whistling on mine (a very high pitched constant sound) was audible at any speed above about 45 mph, distinctly on the passenger side.
I just took a pic of my driver's side cap...it actually lays over the rail and does not form a "gap". My passenger side cap seems to be laying the same way. This has peaked my interest now...might need to pull off my piece of tape and really dig into this! I was so excited my tape trick fixed the noise, I honestly didn't care too much on why it fixed it.

20190612-062557.jpg

Had to look it up myself. See pg 9-16 in the manual. Looks like the Sig trim ambient lighting is normally on in conjunction with the parking lights or headlights--you can adjust the illumination level or turn it off completely. I assume that means they still come on as one enters or exits the vehicle, but then go off when the rest of the entry lights do.

Thanks for that. I'll look up the manual tonight and recheck the lights. My wife noticed it was on the entire trip one day so I figured it was normal but thought I'd ask.

Hey @wrxray

The detailed pic helps (hard for me to think of exactly what it looks like and I haven't been to my car in a few days).

Love the tape fix in concept, but want to make it more slick looking. Some silicone caulking (if applied carefully) might help and be "invisible" and also "non permanent."

I wont get to that project for a few weeks, but will try to update once I explore,

S

Hey @wrxray

The detailed pic helps (hard for me to think of exactly what it looks like and I haven't been to my car in a few days).

Love the tape fix in concept, but want to make it more slick looking. Some silicone caulking (if applied carefully) might help and be "invisible" and also "non permanent."

I wont get to that project for a few weeks, but will try to update once I explore,

S

Yea, some clear sealant of some sort would definitely work...that little piece of tape has about 16K miles on it, lol. Kind of out of sight, out of mind. I have renewed energy and interest to find a more aesthetically pleasing solution

Taking a shot in the dark - my 2017 had a similar issue.

My whistle was the wind around the driver's side mirror. Oddly enough when I rolled down the driver's window the sound went away. I chalked it up to the aerodynamics of the vehicle.

Have a 2018 Touring and I get whistling around 55mph but over 65 seems to decrease. My dealer told me it was the mirror, but I don*t understand why it subsided when going faster. It*s almost like a very faint *winding/whirring* noise and of course they can never replicate it because like OP said it*s really faint and everyone thinks I*m crazy. It*s at least documented at the dealership if it*s a serious issue. Someone on here said they had high pitched dog whistle noise and it had something to do with axel seal failure.

Back