Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2019 CX5 Signature, whistling noise on highway or high speeds

Registered Member

Wink 2019 CX5 Signature, whistling noise on highway or high speeds

Hey folks,

I recently purchased a 2019 Grey Mazda CX5 Signature (one month ago), but I wanted to know if anyone else had a similar issue. I started noticing a minor whistling noise on the highway, probably about two weeks in with the car. It was minor enough I couldn't hear it when I played music (I play music pretty loud), but if there's no music playing, you can definitely hear it. You can only hear it when you are probably traveling 50+mph.

I tried playing with the windows, sun roof, doors, but I just can't seem to figure out how to get rid of the sound. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

EDIT: I also have roof racks
    Last edited by colden; 06-06-2019 at 02:06 PM.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow 2019 CX5 Signature, whistling noise on highway or high speeds

Mazda dealer ...

Registered Member

2017 CX5 GT AWD w/ pp

Taking a shot in the dark - my 2017 had a similar issue.

My whistle was the wind around the driver's side mirror. Oddly enough when I rolled down the driver's window the sound went away. I chalked it up to the aerodynamics of the vehicle.

2018 CX-5 GT FWD Premium

Do you have the roof racks? I remember hearing someone having a whistle and it was coming from his roof racks.

Registered Member

I have a 2019 Sig that came with roof rails and I hear the whistle when I go 50+ as well. After further inspection of the driver side rails I believe it's the end cap that's causing the whistle. I'm planning to bring this up when I go in for my first oil change.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by gce View Post
    Do you have the roof racks? I remember hearing someone having a whistle and it was coming from his roof racks.
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiian_bread View Post
    I have a 2019 Sig that came with roof rails and I hear the whistle when I go 50+ as well. After further inspection of the driver side rails I believe it's the end cap that's causing the whistle. I'm planning to bring this up when I go in for my first oil change.
    Yep, I have roof rails. Hmm I guess I'll have to play around with the roof rails? It's definitely coming from the left side of the car, so maybe the left rail? I was going to ask the dealer too when its my first oil change.

Registered Member

Appreciate a follow up with your dealer if you happen to go before I do. I'll also update if I go in first.

Registered Member

2017 CX5 GT AWD Premium

I played around with my roof rail and narrowed the noise down to the small end cap. I put a piece of tape over the gap and the whistling went away. If I ever go back to the dealer for any reason, I will have them look at it.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 Signature

Surprised it was the rail and not the bar.

Registered Member

2016.5 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by wrxray View Post
    I played around with my roof rail and narrowed the noise down to the small end cap. I put a piece of tape over the gap and the whistling went away. If I ever go back to the dealer for any reason, I will have them look at it.
    whoa, good find, would have never guessed, glad you were able to somewhat solve the problem, looking at that I can see why there would be a whistling sound if there is a gap between the end cap and rail, the wind would flow thru that hollow rail and would basically be a giant whistle... hopefully it's an easy fix, just need to tighten some loose screw to reduce the gap
    Last edited by blackcx5; 06-07-2019 at 10:19 AM.

Registered Member

Perhaps I'll tape mine up too as I'm certain that's where the whistling is coming from. I think it's just an edge of the end cap that sticks out that's causing the whistle.

Side note: Sorry to take this off topic but since we're discussing the Signature model I was wondering anyone else with a Sig can confirm their footwell light is always on?
    Last edited by hawaiian_bread; 06-07-2019 at 12:11 PM.

Registered Member

2017 CX5 GT AWD Premium

Quote Originally Posted by blackcx5 View Post
    whoa, good find, would have never guessed, glad you were able to somewhat solve the problem, looking at that I can see why there would be a whistling sound if there is a gap between the end cap and rail, the wind would flow thru that hollow rail and would basically be a giant whistle... hopefully it's an easy fix, just need to tighten some loose screw to reduce the gap
    I tried unsuccessfully to relocate the cap...no luck.

Registered Member

2017 CX5 GT AWD Premium

My whistling existed before I put the cross rails on. It bugged the crap out of me...my wife thought I was crazy. Not too fond of my dealer crawling all over my perfectly corrected paint. I was planning on powdercoated the rails black...at least the strip of electrical tape will match better!!

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve

1. With roof racks, I definitely have noise (especially with the moonroof open)

2. re the whistling, amazing that @wrxray was able to find that. I took a peak at mine and can assume the whistle I hear is from that (I hear it intermittently over 85mph)

I have access to 3D printers, but I am not great at designing. If someone has a good idea to design or scan the area and make the model, I can print it and try / mail you the pieces.

Do we think it is truly the lip between the front cap and the main bar, or could it also be the lift between the front bar cap and windshield (aka the tape in the pic just disrupted airflow which prevented the whistle but wasn't the main cause)

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Signature (previously 2016 CX-5 GT)

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiian_bread View Post
    Side note: Sorry to take this off topic but since we're discussing the Signature model I was wondering anyone else with a Sig can confirm their footwell light is always on?
    Had to look it up myself. See pg 9-16 in the manual. Looks like the Sig trim ambient lighting is normally on in conjunction with the parking lights or headlights--you can adjust the illumination level or turn it off completely. I assume that means they still come on as one enters or exits the vehicle, but then go off when the rest of the entry lights do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast