Question for CX-9 2016+ Owners

:
2019 Mazda CX-9 Signature
So I am about to sell my Q50 2.0t and purchase a new 2019 CX-9 Signature from the dealer. I have been doing a lot of research lately and find the CX-9 to be more appealing every time I read about it, however, I have some concerns maybe owners can help me address.

- How is the engine note/noise when driving at a speed of 140km/80mil? Is there like a humming or engine noise the gets into the cabin? Also, what is the rpm when driving at that speed?

- Are there any rattling noises in the cabin specifically from the plastics (creaking/squeaking)?

- Hows the gear downshifts during traffic, is it smooth or is there any sluggishness?

- When merging into the highway, do you feel the CX-9 can pick-up speed smoothly?

- I see a lack of lights in important areas in the cabin, such as the glove box, doors, and footwell, is there any way to add light in those areas?

- In regards to the infotainment, hows the boot-up and response speed? Also is it stable enough that reboots do not happen frequently?

- Is there an option to add engine hood struts as an aftermarket modification?

- Do the LED front head lights turn with the steering?

- How is the quality of the leather after 2 years, is there a crack or discoloration on the seats, steering wheel, or gear knob?

- If I set the adaptive cruise control to the closest distance, how far will the vehicle in front of me be?

- Does the lane keep assist keep the vehicle in the center of the lane or must the vehicle swerve close to the edge of the lane for the LKA to intervene?

My biggest worry is the 4-cylinder engine noise, my current Q50 2.0t sounds like a diesel and has a lot of engine, road, and wind noise when driving at 140km which make it very uncomfortable

FYI, I am a single guy with no family yet, however since I am driving for long distances most of the time, I was looking for the most comfortable and reliable SUV in the mainstream market

Last edited:
I've had my 2018 CX-9 just 6 months, but I'll answer what I can.
- Engine noise is very quiet at 80mph. Haven't looked at the RPM's though.
- I have no rattling noises
- Transmission is smooth during downshift in traffic
- There are ambient lights in the doors and one overhead that you can adjust in settings. I haven't noticed a lack of interior lighting at all.
- Boot up speed of the infotainment is just OK. It's a tad slower than our 2019 Lexus, but seem to be on par with many other main line cars. Reboots are very rare for me, but I tend to use Apple Carplay more than the factory infotainment.
- No clue on the hood struts
- My 2018 Grand Touring has the adaptive headlights that move with the steering wheel.
- After 6 months, the leather seems to be holding up well. The quality is definitely a step below my old G37x or our Lexus NX, but at this price point the Mazda seems to be quite good.
- The distance in front of you will depend on the speed you are going. At 80mph, I would guess the distance to be about 2 car lengths or a little more.
- Lane assist will vibrate the wheel and ever so slightly try to move you back if you cross the line. It's not very aggressive, which I like, but other may wish it was more aggressive.

Engine noise is very quiet to me for a turbo 2.5L. It's much more quiet than my old G37x, but that's not really comparing apples to apples. ;)

So I am about to sell my Q50 2.0t and purchase a new 2019 CX-9 Signature from the dealer. I have been doing a lot of research lately and find the CX-9 to be more appealing every time I read about it, however, I have some concerns maybe owners can help me address.

- How is the engine note/noise when driving at a speed of 140km/80mil? Is there like a humming or engine noise the gets into the cabin? Also, what is the rpm when driving at that speed?

Cruising speed engine noise is minimal, yet its pleasing when I get down on it. I dont recall the cruising RPMs, but it never concerns me. (FYI I own a 2016 GT FWD with 40k-ish miles.)

- Are there any rattling noises in the cabin specifically from the plastics (creaking/squeaking)?

Not that I recall. Everything seems solid so far. Although it took me a drive or two to get used to the split door center arm rest. I have to raise the driver seat for it to not bug me, but I like to sit high anyhow.

- Hows the gear downshifts during traffic, is it smooth or is there any sluggishness?

Shifting is perfect, unless I let the car do it with the radar cruise and some yahoo merges in front of me. Otherwise its fine.

- When merging into the highway, do you feel the CX-9 can pick-up speed smoothly?

Yes, it gets up to speed without any worries. Ive never had to stomp on it to encourage speed. Actually I generally dont recommend stomping on it unless you are ready for some torque steer (at least from a standstill.)

- I see a lack of lights in important areas in the cabin, such as the glove box, doors, and footwell, is there any way to add light in those areas?

All I remember is that there is a little focused LED that comes on at night that illuminates right over the cup holders and sort of the center arm rest. I thought it would be annoying but it seems just right even though its on all the time.

- In regards to the infotainment, hows the boot-up and response speed? Also is it stable enough that reboots do not happen frequently?

Its decent, and I have the CarPlay/Android Auto upgrade. My 2015 Mazda 3 had a horrible boot up time before I traded it in two years ago, but our CX-9 seems a lot better.

I dont know but that would be nice.

I dont know. Good question.

- How is the quality of the leather after 2 years, is there a crack or discoloration on the seats, steering wheel, or gear knob?

Actually everything seems to be holding up quite well at 40k, and way better than my older 3 GT at 14k miles.

- If I set the adaptive cruise control to the closest distance, how far will the vehicle in front of me be?

I want to like the adaptive cruise control, but there is just something a little too unpredictable and mechanical to it. Perhaps its other drivers or maybe its because Ive been driving for 30 years.

- Does the lane keep assist keep the vehicle in the center of the lane or must the vehicle swerve close to the edge of the lane for the LKA to intervene?

Another thing I want to like but its assisting is more annoying than helpful (to me.) I like the lane departure warning, but Im probably going to turn off the assist.

My biggest worry is the 4-cylinder engine noise, my current Q50 2.0t sounds like a diesel and has a lot of engine, road, and wind noise when driving at 140km which make it very uncomfortable

FYI, I am a single guy with no family yet, however since I am driving for long distances most of the time, I was looking for the most comfortable and reliable SUV in the mainstream market

The CX-9 is pretty far from sounding like a diesel [the v8 in my 2013 Expedition is closer to a diesel than the 9.]

I havent taken the 9 on any trip longer than an hour. But that trip was very solid and it handled well (even with limited visibility due to rain.) Me and my passengers were very comfortable. My kids beg me to drive the 9 instead of the Expedition whenever we go somewhere (but the 9 is mainly my wifes daily driver.)

You really just need to drive a newer GT or Signature CX-9 and see if you like the ride, engine noise, and the other nice to have features.

I've got a 2018 CX-9 Signature with 22,000 kms (~13,500 mi). I'll try to answer as best I can.

The fastest I've traveled in my CX-9 is 130 km/hr, during a 12 hour road trip. I don't remember any really obtrusive or obnoxious noises, but I was playing music almost the whole time, to be fair. My wife and 4-month old at the time had no complaints. I've read that the cabin isolation and road noise is surprisingly minimal compared to the competition, and I believe 2019 models are supposed to be even quieter thanks to thicker floor mats or something. I'm not 100% sure about the RPMs, but I think they were between 2000 and 2500 RPMs at that speed.

Absolutely none in my car.

The transmission behaves very well IMO. The Sport mode basically just makes the transmission hold gears longer, which is nice if you need instant torque to quickly overtake a slow driver or something (no need for the car to downshift unless you floor it). In regular mode, the downshifts are fairly smooth. A little better than I would expect for a 3-row SUV.

Yep, in my experience acceleration is pretty linear from 40-100 km/hr. For the record, I put 91 octane fuel in my car. I'm sure that if I put 87 in the car, acceleration would drop off a little bit sooner, but I'm not sure exactly when/how much.

The only lack of lighting I've noticed is in the glove box, but the ambient LED that dr0idattack mentioned provides enough light for me. In the Signature model, there is ambient lighting on the door panels and around the center console, but I don't recall if there is any in the footwells (I don't think there is). There are various aftermaket solutions for ambient lighting though.

Boot up and response speed is good in my CX-9 (note that I don't have Android Auto/Apple Car Play installed). My system has never rebooted, and I've only had one instance where the display wouldn't turn on, but everything else worked. Turning off the car and turning it back on fixed it, though I'm sure I could have also just done a manual reboot to fix it. Besides that one instance, it's been great.

Yes there is. AutoEXE (based in Japan) makes a kit for the CX-9, but you can also find cheaper alternatives on eBay/AliExpress/etc.

Yes, they do.

I've only had the car for 1.5 years, but the seats, steering wheel and gear knob are all in great condition. The only thing I've done to protect the leather seats is apply 303 Aerospace Protectant twice.

No quite sure about the exact distance, this might be a question for your Mazda dealer. I think it would probably be about two car lengths, maybe three?

The vehicle won't intervene until you start to cross the lane markings. It is not the same as "lane tracing" tech, and AFAIK Mazda hasn't implemented that tech yet.

I have a small family, but the majority of the time, I'm the only one in the car since I use it to commute to and from work every day. It's been a comfortable and reliable SUV for me, and it drives very well when I need it to. That said, because of the "sporty-ish" driving dynamics, it isn't the most comfortable option out there. The suspension is a little more stiff than, say, the Pilot or the Highlander. That being said, they did do some suspension re-tuning for the 2019, so it might ride a little better over bumps, but I don't know for sure.

One thing to consider is the tires that come with the car. They are designed for fuel mileage and quietness, but a lot of owners have reported that they are a letdown when it comes to traction in less than ideal conditions. Depending on your climate/commute, I'd consider investing in a winter tire/wheel set.

Last edited:
The one thing about this car is that the inside is very quiet. So much so that if you have something in the glove box, like a metal wrench, or sunglasses in the holder, that rattle even slightly, you will hear it.

Is there an option to add engine hood struts as an aftermarket modification?
Strut tower brace? Answered above. It will stiffen the feel of the car. I don't find excessive body flex now; I've put the brace on other cars but not this one.

How is the quality of the leather after 2 years, is there a crack or discoloration on the seats, steering wheel, or gear knob?
My 2016 is holding up very well. There are numerous high quality leather dressings on the market. I like Lexol or Leathique, and Leather Honey for very dry leather.

If I set the adaptive cruise control to the closest distance, how far will the vehicle in front of me be?
It is adjustable 2 ways. It is automatic--the faster you drive, the farther it keeps you back. And, it's manually adjustable. The automatic operation has 4 manual range settings.

...comfort...
If you feel comfortable in the driver's seat you'll really like the car.

Yes there is. AutoEXE (based in Japan) makes a kit for the CX-9, but you can also find cheaper alternatives on eBay/AliExpress/etc.

Just to clarify regarding the hood strut kit, this is the one I had in mind: https://www.amazdaonline.com/eshop/cx-9/2722-sperformance-bonnethood-liftgate-strut-kit-atc2960.html

The brand is not AutoEXE, it is actually Sperformance. Pardon the confusion.

AutoEXE does make a front strut tower bar, which PTguy mentioned. In case you're also interested in that, here's the link: https://www.amazdaonline.com/eshop/cx-9/2720-autoexe-front-strut-tower-bar-mtc4000.html

thank you all for the responses

I test drove the vehicle yesterday and I must say that the luxury level in terms of ride quality and materials used is close if not better than a Lexus. However I noticed that the black plastics around the tires were coming off and it seems that they are not fitted properly, I am not sure if this is a defect or due to the heat (temperature reaches 50c here). In addition, the sale lady informed me that the headlights do not turn with the steering however they are adaptive (high and low beams). In addition the front grill light is not included in our region

In terms of comfort, the signature line seats feel much more comfortable and have better cushioning. The only thing that I did not like is that there is no padding for the resting your left leg, just a hard plastic, I guess its a thing I can adapt to later on.

Infotainment seems to be packed with features especially with the inclusion of android auto

In regards to the struts, I found the below ones from eBay that do not require any drilling or modification, but I am worried it could affect the rigidity of the hinges down the road:

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

I test drove the vehicle yesterday and I must say that the luxury level in terms of ride quality and materials used is close if not better than a Lexus. However I noticed that the black plastics around the tires were coming off and it seems that they are not fitted properly, I am not sure if this is a defect or due to the heat (temperature reaches 50c here). In addition, the sale lady informed me that the headlights do not turn with the steering however they are adaptive (high and low beams). In addition the front grill light is not included in our region

In terms of comfort, the signature line seats feel much more comfortable and have better cushioning. The only thing that I did not like is that there is no padding for the resting your left leg, just a hard plastic, I guess its a thing I can adapt to later on.

Infotainment seems to be packed with features especially with the inclusion of android auto

In regards to the struts, I found the below ones from eBay that do not require any drilling or modification, but I am worried it could affect the rigidity of the hinges down the road:

What did you think about the engine note and the driving characteristics?

to be frank, compared to my q50 2.0t, it's a huge difference. Acceleration sound is close to a V6 and maneuvering the vehicle makes you feel that you are driving a sedan instead of a large SUV.

Off course I will need some time to get used to the ride since I am moving from a compact sedan to a large SUV however initial impressions seem positive up to know.

Yes, every location has different features. The USA has the adaptive headlights but it appears it did not make it to the UAE version.

50oC is hot! Personally, I get worried about tires and other issues under conditions like that. How do turbocharged engines handle those temperatures?

Last edited:
Does the hood have the structural support to hold its own weight when using these struts? I thought the cheapo support rod was mainly to avoid the need for heavy bracing in the hood structure. Maybe that's not the case.

Regarding the fender plastic trim - that happened to the trim on the front fenders of my car as well. Dealer replaced it under warranty, no questions asked. They should be able to replace them for you if you choose to buy it (I would request that they change them before you purchase). It could be due to the temps (here temps vary from -45c to +40c). With temps that high, I would also recommend ceramic tint for the front windows and the front windshield as an upgrade later on.

I test drove CX-9 one more time today, however this time I wanted to see how it goes in the highway. Here are my findings:

- Performance is excellent. The power is instant and there is no hesitation at all
- Noise isolation was good but not great, I can still hear some engine noise at 120km (74mph)
- Overtaking vehicles and maneuvering was great, you definitely feel that you are in control
- Seats were average, maybe because I was driving the touring

The salesman said that the Signature model has better noise isolation and the seats are more comfortable. Can someone here confirm that? how is the noise isolation better? is there additional sound deading material in the signature model? Also are the seats more adjustable in the signature compared to other grades?

Sorry I could not get into more details with the dealer as they were closing.

Also, one final thought, is it weird that I am buying a vehicle this big and will be driving alone with no family? I got many comments from people saying this vehicle is too big for you, even the salesman told me why are you buying it when you have no family?! Just wanted to get your thoughts about this

Last edited:
Its not that it is weird, but you are accepting a lot of the disadvantages of a large vehicle for none of the real benefits, which is the requirement for space (or often the towing capability)

I like the convenience of larger vehicles, but they have drawbacks. The biggest one being the price. Generally, the bigger the vehicle the more expensive. Then add the added fuel mileage, the inconvenience of driving a large veh in tight space and the generally worst driving dynamics. I love my CX-9, but if I would be alone, a CX-5 or a mazda 6 would be sufficient for me.

The CX-5 or mazda 6 signature would cost you 10-15 thousand dollar less, have a similar level of luxury and can now have the same engine (which would feel more powerful due to the reduced weight of the car. )

I would recommend giving them a try and evaluate your needs. if you feel like there is an attribute of the cx-9 that the other 2 dont have, then go ahead and get it. It is a great vehicle, but you might be perfectly happy with the smaller models, and save money at the same time.

I drive my CX-9 by myself 98% of the time, but it's probably the smallest crossover in this segment and drives like it too; so if you feel you need the extra space this is an excellent choice. My reasons for owning this type of vehicle without the demands of having a bunch of kids to chauffeur around is that I live on a ranch in a rural area and although my wife has a large Silverado pick up there are times when I need to pick up oversize items that wouldn't fit in a two row SUV or a sedan. Also, the occasion might arise requiring light towing of an animal trailer and again the CX-9 could perform that duty. Being older now it certainly is easier getting into and out of this type of auto; my Corvette days are behind me! From a safety perspective living in an area where the roads are primarily traveled by super-sized pickup trucks and jumbo (Suburban/Tahoe/Excursion) SUV's you have better visibility and if you are in an accident with one there's more metal around you to absorb that energy. The Honda Pilot felt a lot bigger than what I needed in comparison. To each his own.

thank you all for your prompt responses

I have made the decision and went ahead with a CX-9 Signature 2019 Machine Gray (and sold my 2017 Q50 for $26,695 in the same day)

The car comes with 3-years or 60km service contract, 1-year free insurance, free Ziebart window tinting, and 5-years or 160km warranty

Total price with VAT = $44,900

Nothing in the market now seems to match the price, offers, and features that come with the Mazda, so I believe this is the best choice

>>>Quiet. Haven't noticed the RPM, but I would guess probably in the mid 3-4. Not anywhere the redline

>>>2016 model here. I had some rattling noises. One was the airbag module had a damaged spring. It was replaced by the dealer. The second was a loose cable under the hood. It went away after I secured it. Other than that...it's a rattle free ride. I am very OCD when it comes to that stuff.

>>>The car rarely downshifts. If it does. I don't feel it. It doesn't feel sluggish.

>>>Yup

>>>I think there's a way to add lights to the footwells in the dealer. THe glovebox is stupid, but I haven't had the need for lights. I keep a flashlight in the glovebox for emergencies anyway

>>>Again, 2016 model here, 2019 should be much faster. This is the weak point on this car. It is slow. You get that stupid warning message that slows everything down. Bluetooth takes forever to connect. I wish it was a different system. Ergonomically, it's great with the commander knob. Again, this is a 2016 and I've hear they've made speed improvements

>>>No idea what that is

>>>Yes, they do in my GT at least. It's noticeable, specially if you turn a corner quickly. Also upon starting the car, they will auto-alight. The lights also move up/down based on your speed if I remember correctly.

>>>3 years and it's hold pretty good. Never applied conditioner to the leather either. No discoloration anywhere.

>>>This is in the manual. You have four settings. Shortest distance is 82ft, 98ft, 131ft, and 164ft. (that's 25, 30, 40, 50 in meters).

>>>2016 here. It's not like an active autopilot. In my case, I only feel it working when it's starting to get close to the lane

>>>Take one for a test drive

>>>I still love getting into my CX-9 after 3 years to drive it.

>>>Quiet. Haven't noticed the RPM, but I would guess probably in the mid 3-4. Not anywhere the redline

>>>2016 model here. I had some rattling noises. One was the airbag module had a damaged spring. It was replaced by the dealer. The second was a loose cable under the hood. It went away after I secured it. Other than that...it's a rattle free ride. I am very OCD when it comes to that stuff.

>>>The car rarely downshifts. If it does. I don't feel it. It doesn't feel sluggish.

>>>Yup

>>>I think there's a way to add lights to the footwells in the dealer. THe glovebox is stupid, but I haven't had the need for lights. I keep a flashlight in the glovebox for emergencies anyway

>>>Again, 2016 model here, 2019 should be much faster. This is the weak point on this car. It is slow. You get that stupid warning message that slows everything down. Bluetooth takes forever to connect. I wish it was a different system. Ergonomically, it's great with the commander knob. Again, this is a 2016 and I've hear they've made speed improvements

>>>No idea what that is

>>>Yes, they do in my GT at least. It's noticeable, specially if you turn a corner quickly. Also upon starting the car, they will auto-alight. The lights also move up/down based on your speed if I remember correctly.

>>>3 years and it's hold pretty good. Never applied conditioner to the leather either. No discoloration anywhere.

>>>This is in the manual. You have four settings. Shortest distance is 82ft, 98ft, 131ft, and 164ft. (that's 25, 30, 40, 50 in meters).

>>>2016 here. It's not like an active autopilot. In my case, I only feel it working when it's starting to get close to the lane

>>>Take one for a test drive

>>>I still love getting into my CX-9 after 3 years to drive it.

Thanks for the response

I already bought a CX-9 2 days ago :) Details are in the post before you.

The only issue that I have now is the clunk/knock noise in the front suspension when going over speed bumps which the dealer will look into

Thanks for the response

I already bought a CX-9 2 days ago :) Details are in the post before you.

The only issue that I have now is the clunk/knock noise in the front suspension when going over speed bumps which the dealer will look into

Check to make sure everything under the hood is secure. Some people with various other models (like the CX-5) have also reported clunking that goes away after securing random loose strut tower nuts, engine/windshield cowls, strut brace nuts, etc.

Also make sure your tires are not overinflated. These are all things that should be caught during pre-delivery inspections, but many dealerships employ technicians who skip over some of these items (or employ salespeople who skip the PDI altogether to get the customer's car delivered more quickly).

Back