Backup cam

Rode in my sons Dodge truck tonight and now realize how bad the backup cam in my 2019 CX5 is. Is the poor quality in the actual camera or the display. Any chance for an future upgrade?

Rode in my sons Dodge truck tonight and now realize how bad the backup cam in my 2019 CX5 is. Is the poor quality in the actual camera or the display. Any chance for an future upgrade?

Being that we spend so little time in reverse, I never really had an issue with ours unless it is at night when there is low light.

I went ahead and replaced my REVERSE bulbs with LED's that put out much more lumens. As a result, I now have a much better lighting at night.

What year was your sons Dodge? A new 2019??

Are you having trouble seeing what's behind you? While ours is not like a 4K OLED, it does what I expect it to. Now, I think they could have done a better job with the 360 camera stitching, but that's a different issue.

Yes you can see ok and it does perform a job but it*s poor quality compared to others I*ve seen. It should*nt be that hard or expensive for Mazda to have a decent resolution cam in a 2019 car.
My dash cam is 1440p and while a 1080p would do the job I would rather spend a few bucks more to have a better picture.

Totally agree. In fact, I think my 2014 CX5 had better video quality than my current 2016(.5). My Scion's backup video is far superior to my CX5.

To answer your question, I think the poor quality is due to the image sensor they used in the actual camera. It's not likely that they'll be able to improve it significantly via software/firmware upgrades alone. I don't think they plan to make camera upgrades available for current gens. If an improvement were to be made, it would probably be on a newer model as part of a mid-cycle refresh or something.

In this case the camera's resolution is only as good as the display it's being viewed on. What's the limiting factor for a CX5, the display's resolution or the camera's?

What*s more annoying to me, is after I back into my garage and turn the car off, when I start the next day, (headed forward) the rear camera is still engaged. This happens all the time. This does not happen in my 2013 vehicle.

Anyone else have this problem? (And the slowness of the overall system is super annoying as others have already mentioned). Only had my 2019 cX5 for about 2 weeks.

What*s more annoying to me, is after I back into my garage and turn the car off, when I start the next day, (headed forward) the rear camera is still engaged. This happens all the time. This does not happen in my 2013 vehicle.

Anyone else have this problem? (And the slowness of the overall system is super annoying as others have already mentioned). Only had my 2019 cX5 for about 2 weeks.

Rear sensor is probably picking up an obstruction so it's showing the rear camera. I notice when I park backwards at my office and get real close to the bushes it shows the rear camera when I start the car until I pull away.

Rear sensor is probably picking up an obstruction so it's showing the rear camera. I notice when I park backwards at my office and get real close to the bushes it shows the rear camera when I start the car until I pull away.

Thanks. So mine is working as others / as designedly Hawaii and Sig note above. I won*t embarrass myself by calling the dealer to complain....

Mazda obviously has to go cheaper on some stuff or they'll soon be selling $50k CX5s.
I get it. Each to their own. But this seems a pretty petty thing to me. And you didn't even dislike it until you saw a better one.
Have tou tried adjusting the colors or contrast in yours? I tweaked mine and the colors are more punchy now.

Mazda obviously has to go cheaper on some stuff or they'll soon be selling $50k CX5s.
We have to always keep this in mind when complaining about CX-5s.

I also don't feel this is a big issue. I'm not watching a movie. I just want to see what's back there, and this lo res camera at least does that.

I agree that the backup cam is not superb in '17 CX5.
You should see the one in my '16 Mazda6 and '14 Mazda3. Both are even worse.
Haven't seen the one in a '19, but I would guess it should be similar to the one in '17.

My bad... I stated earlier my Cam is engaged after backing up to park. I paid more attention, after backing up and putting it drive v it engages the FRoNt camera. This must be used when Pharrell parking. Stupid me = this is a cool function. Having never had front cameras, I assumed it was the rear cameras.

So, apologies for not paying better attention. I like this feature now that I understand what it is ( though I don*t Pararell park often)

My bad... I stated earlier my Cam is engaged after backing up to park. I paid more attention, after backing up and putting it drive v it engages the FRoNt camera. This must be used when Pharrell parking. Stupid me = this is a cool function. Having never had front cameras, I assumed it was the rear cameras.

So, apologies for not paying better attention. I like this feature now that I understand what it is ( though I don*t Pararell park often)

It's actually 360 mode, right? I don't believe you can activate the front by itself.

Back