Differential fluid change?

:
SF Bay Area
:
'17 CX-9 Signature
My 2017 CX-9 has a bit over 30k miles now.

I stopped by the dealer last week and asked if they offer an Auto transmission fluid service (drain/refill) and he said, "no, it's a lifetime fluid".
There is not such thing as "lifetime AT fluid" but if he says so, whatever. I will try to replace the AT fluid on my own around the 60k mark or earlier.

The dealer was very quick to tell me that on my AWD car, i should replace the rear differential fluid @ 30k miles. He quoted me $180 !!

Has anyone done this diff service at this mileage on their AWD Mazda?

The maintenance schedule for the car does NOT mention anything about the differential fluid needing replacement, at any point. Weird.
I am sure it needs a refresh at some point, but is 30k a bit too early or pretty standard for this system?

Thanks!

My 2017 CX-9 has a bit over 30k miles now.

I stopped by the dealer last week and asked if they offer an Auto transmission fluid service (drain/refill) and he said, "no, it's a lifetime fluid".
There is not such thing as "lifetime AT fluid" but if he says so, whatever. I will try to replace the AT fluid on my own around the 60k mark or earlier.

The dealer was very quick to tell me that on my AWD car, i should replace the rear differential fluid @ 30k miles. He quoted me $180 !!

Has anyone done this diff service at this mileage on their AWD Mazda?

The maintenance schedule for the car does NOT mention anything about the differential fluid needing replacement, at any point. Weird.
I am sure it needs a refresh at some point, but is 30k a bit too early or pretty standard for this system?

Thanks!

30-40k sounds about right. That seems to be what most other owners who change the diff fluid (in the CX-5 and in other cars with similar systems) follow.

I'd have thought the maint part of the OM lists those things as time or mileage intervals and at least you can verify it agrees or not with what they tell you.
My guess is 60k to 100 on many of the newer cars. For warranty purposes, I like things stamped by the dealer as designated by the rule book. I've also seen 'addendum' in service or owner manuals where a section was updated, literally cut and pasted in place for changes to service or warranty details.

My 08 CX-7 specified a Mazda trans fluid that was the same spec Toyota used - beware it's quite pricey if the same these days.
I drained the bottom of the pan and added new what I subtracted but that was a 100,000 mile CX-7 I wasn't hanging on to much longer. The old fluid looked good and I figured I could do 2 or 3 drain and top-off's over 6 months to do the trick.

Back