Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Extended warranty cost?

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-5 GTR

This is one area where actually reading the fine print of the contract up front, is CRITICAL. Do not pay a nickel until you fully understand what is covered and what is excluded. It can save a lot of pain and suffering later on..........

Quote Originally Posted by St1ngy View Post
    I kind of wonder if these extended warranties have actually priced that in. Are electronics excluded? While mechanical failure/repair is pretty well understood, these new gizmos are an unknown.

Assuming you plan on keeping the vehicle for 5+ years, I think it makes sense with the turbo engine, because one issue with that and you're in for more than the warranty cost. For the NA 2.5L, you're going to need a lot more issues for it to make sense on a rapidly depreciating ~27,000 dollar vehicle. Dealers don't sell these to save you money.

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate View Post
    Assuming you plan on keeping the vehicle for 5+ years, I think it makes sense with the turbo engine, because one issue with that and you're in for more than the warranty cost. For the NA 2.5L, you're going to need a lot more issues for it to make sense on a rapidly depreciating ~27,000 dollar vehicle. Dealers don't sell these to save you money.
    Here is an easier method: Never get an extended warranty.

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature

Assuming you plan on keeping the vehicle for 5+ years, I think it makes sense with the turbo engine, because one issue with that and you're in for more than the warranty cost.
    My Mazda dealer includes a "free"* lifetime (unlimited years / miles) Powertrain Limited Warranty from Fidelity Warranty Services. $100 deductible. So that's one less headache. My guess is they expect not many claims since it is not transferable and the 6 yr Mazda Powertrain warranty will cover most claims.

* Yeah, I know I'm paying for it somewhere, but this dealer matched the lowest purchase price we found within 100 miles.

Registered Member

'16.5 JBM CX-5 AWD GT tech, '19 Veloster N

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrass View Post
    Most (if not all) extended warranties do NOT include coverage of headlight assemblies & related components.
    I can't say all/most whatever but the one I bought frankly against my better judgement(1st, likely last time ever) on my cpo that the salesman 'strongly' suggested as I very was concerned about the LEDs I see blown out on these 3 year old CX-5s (got for 1295 vs starting price of 2500- what a steal)..didn't cover the fking lights! I discovered this the night I picked the car up and nearly shit myself when I actually read through all the exclusions and sure effkn nuff headlamps, assemblies and a bunch of other crap excluded. While some of this is clearly my fault for not reading through everything before handing them 1300 that shady ass dealer had some set of balls hard selling me on this great b2b 100k wrap through Mazda (it was actually Allstate) but I guess its Mazda endorsed or some crap..when the only thing that came out of my mouth as cause for concern were those nice looking but finicky ass LEDs on this car! Long story short- my $ was refunded and my powertrain is still covered by Mazda out to 100k+1yr 12k b2b- and that's gonna have to do!
    Last edited by Monterra; 08-13-2019 at 02:54 PM.
    247 community defender of: gen1 steering, styling, seats and gated shifter, compression ignition, rwd, Asian twins, winter tires, manual: tailgates, transmissions, ebrakes, also liquid silver and Lawson's Liquids FTFW!

1983 Toyota Celica GTS 5MT
    1984 Toyota Supra 5MT- oh what a feelin!
    1991 Toyota MR2T 6MT- Awesome
    2002 MB C230 Coupe 6MT- 1st new car(chosen over GTI)- good until gremlins
    +enter bad driveway
    2006 Acura TL 6MT (shortest ownership by far 1year of tq steer&driveway fails>enough)
    2007 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L -It didn't break
    2009 BMW 128i 6MT - End of the old-school bimmers- should have kept.. wanted 4drs
    2014 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT - Solid vehicle sans brakes..few issues @90k+
    2015 BMW X1 RWD Msport - Liked it, fast and still did donuts, e-steering=fail
    2019 Hyundai Veloster N- 6MT or bust bitch (love that)fun/dollar untouchable right now
    2016.5 CX-5 AWD GT - Stickin w/swoop, wheel upgrade, really just wanted to ape 7ereg

Quote Originally Posted by Monterra View Post
    I can't say all/most whatever but the one I bought against my better judgement(1st time ever) on my cpo that the salesman strongly suggested as I very was concerned about the LEDs I see blown out on these 3 year old CX-5s (got for 1295 vs starting price of 2500)..didn't cover the fking lights! I discovered this the night I picked the car up and nearly shit myself when I actually read through all the exclusions and sure effkn nuff headlamps, assemblies and a bunch of other crap excluded. While some of this is clearly my fault for not reading through everything before handing them 1300 that shady ass dealer had some set of balls hard selling me on this great b2b 100k wrap through Mazda (it was actually Allstate) but I guess its Mazda endorsed or some crap..when the only thing that came out of my mouth as cause for concern were those nice looking but finicky ass LEDs on this car! Long story short- my $ was refunded and my powertrain is still covered by Mazda out to 100k+1yr 12k b2b- and that's gonna have to do!
    That's just it. With all the exclusions, I'd rather keep the $$$ in my pocket and use it toward preventative maintenance.

Registered Member

SUV

I can't say all/most whatever but the one I bought against my better judgement(1st time ever) on my cpo that the salesman strongly suggested as I very was concerned about the LEDs I see blown out on these 3 year old CX-5s (got for 1295 vs starting price of 2500)..didn't cover the fking lights! I discovered this the night I picked the car up and nearly shit myself when I actually read through all the exclusions and sure effkn nuff headlamps, assemblies and a bunch of other crap excluded.
    This is exactly what I was warning about.
    If the proponents of extended warranties on here actually read their warranties, they would find that a lot of this stuff is NOT covered.

Donated: $15

CX-5 Touring 2016.5

That was true for 2017 model year. Except turbo was not available in 2017. In 2019 the NA models have Cylinder deactivation. Head over to Engine and Transmission section to see the horror. In 2019 - an NA would be better suited for extended warranty than the turbo.

Official Defender of Zamdatm

Quote Originally Posted by Kaps View Post
    That was true for 2017 model year. Except turbo was not available in 2017. In 2019 the NA models have Cylinder deactivation. Head over to Engine and Transmission section to see the horror. In 2019 - an NA would be better suited for extended warranty than the turbo.
    I'm aware of the Rocker recall. Hopefully, the issue has been fixed with later production 2019 CX-5s. My April 2019 production CX-5 has no open recalls.

It is annoying that you cannot manually disable the CD, that's a dumb design. Supposedly, Sport mode will deactivate CD, but I'd like to hear a confirmation on that. But, I did a 3 year/15k/yr lease, so I'll decide whether to purchase in 3 years, should be more data by then.

For what it's worth (not much), here's Consumer Reports' reader reliability survey for the CX-5.

Last edited by Chocolate; 08-13-2019 at 03:09 PM.

Registered Member

cx5 gt +pp 2018

Can we please stay on topic regarding costs for extended warranty?

It would be beneficial for everyone, plus there are also many threads about realibility and expected repairs.

Registered Member

'16.5 JBM CX-5 AWD GT tech, '19 Veloster N

^They cost more than they're worth probably about 90-95% of the time..don't have the numbers but I'd be shocked if it were far less than that. They offer piece of mind I guess but at a pretty hefty cost. That- on a pretty dang reliable vehicle (that is quite relevant to the cost is it not??) what more do you need to know?! I'd have literally lost my shirt had I purchased one on my now retired 100+k mile 2014GT..probably would've covered the coil I had go that cost me a whopping 120 and that was with replacing the plugs first!

Volbeat's new album finally out 7- nothing heavy at all but wasn't expecting that based on last one- still good though..oh my bad
    Last edited by Monterra; 08-14-2019 at 08:37 AM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

^They cost more than they're worth probably about 90-95% of the time..don't have the numbers but I'd be shocked if it were far less than that. They offer piece of mind I guess but at a pretty hefty cost. That- on pretty damn reliable vehicle (that is quite relevant to the cost is it not??) what more do you need to know!! I'd have lost my shirt had I purchased one on my now retired 100k mile 2014..probably would've covered the coil I had go that cost me a whopping 120 and that was with replacing the plugs first!

Volbeat's new album finally out 7- nothing heavy at all but wasn't expecting that based on last one- still good though..oh my bad
    Ah, got to make sure I don't have any irrelevant sentences in there.
    Last edited by Chocolate; 08-14-2019 at 05:04 AM.

Registered Member
    Donated: $15

2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB

I can't say all/most whatever but the one I bought frankly against my better judgement(1st, likely last time ever) on my cpo that the salesman 'strongly' suggested as I very was concerned about the LEDs I see blown out on these 3 year old CX-5s (got for 1295 vs starting price of 2500- what a steal)..didn't cover the fking lights! I discovered this the night I picked the car up and nearly shit myself when I actually read through all the exclusions and sure effkn nuff headlamps, assemblies and a bunch of other crap excluded. While some of this is clearly my fault for not reading through everything before handing them 1300 that shady ass dealer had some set of balls hard selling me on this great b2b 100k wrap through Mazda (it was actually Allstate) but I guess its Mazda endorsed or some crap..when the only thing that came out of my mouth as cause for concern were those nice looking but finicky ass LEDs on this car! Long story short- my $ was refunded and my powertrain is still covered by Mazda out to 100k+1yr 12k b2b- and that's gonna have to do!
    My Mazda dealer used to sell the Allstate warranties, they're crap. Covers stuff like brake backing plate, internal engine fasteners (bolts, nuts).....

Registered Member

Soon to be 2.5T CX-5

If they cost more than a $.01, then they cost too much. Even the freebie ones are BS most of the time.

Gen-1 Kodo Design 👌 ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

I'm aware of the Rocker recall. Hopefully, the issue has been fixed with later production 2019 CX-5s. My April 2019 production CX-5 has no open recalls.

It is annoying that you cannot manually disable the CD, that's a dumb design. Supposedly, Sport mode will deactivate CD, but I'd like to hear a confirmation on that. But, I did a 3 year/15k/yr lease, so I'll decide whether to purchase in 3 years, should be more data by then.

For what it's worth (not much), here's Consumer Reports' reader reliability survey for the CX-5.

Surprised to see the 2014 rated the lowest. From what I've seen, I figured it would have been the 2016 which had early tranny issues plus some more changes from previous years like adding the EPB and more.

But I suppose we have had some early model issues worked out for the newer ones. \_(*)_/
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 83k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast