Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Extended warranty cost?

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by jmhumr View Post
    They way I see it, it*ll take roughly two of those failures to add up to the cost of the warranty, so I*m ok paying that cost once it*s going toward an actual repair vice a piece of paper. Plus, given the poor state of customer support these days, I don*t have any confidence that getting something covered under warranty will take any less than 2 months of angry phone calls.
    The HID head lamp in my 370z, which did not oscillate, was $1800/ea.

Your dealer experience may vary?

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-5 GTR

I have to admit, the thought of purchasing a 3rd party EW leaves me skeptical. If I were looking for one, I'd need to spend a LOT of time doing research into the provider. The 10yr/150k policy that Unobtanium has, would probably be the minimum I would consider, as long as the price was negotiable.

I've purchased ONE EW in my lifetime...... On my 2015 Jeep Wrangler, because of my previous history with FCA quality and the fact that FCA was offering a LIFETIME bumper-to-bumper warranty, which I negotiated from $4200 down to $2500. $100 deductible per service visit. Free loaner car until 100k miles, trip interruption insurance, towing included. That policy paid for itself quickly, since I had a good selection of warranty claims. Unfortunately, I ended up trading the Jeep in just shy of 100k miles, because I got tired of filling it up with gas every other day!

2017 BMW X1

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post

Your dealer experience may vary?
    Prices vary wildly by company. That seems extreme for a Nissan. A quick search of CX5 headlights showed much cheaper. Regardless, headlights are a fun salvage/DIY job.

I*m more concerned about things that go wrong that prevent me from driving the car.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by jmhumr View Post
    Prices vary wildly by company. That seems extreme for a Nissan. A quick search of CX5 headlights showed much cheaper. Regardless, headlights are a fun salvage/DIY job.

I*m more concerned about things that go wrong that prevent me from driving the car.
    Headlights would be one of those things...
    A/C is one of those things here in the South(ish) US, too, lol!

Really though, it ALSO kinda includes 150K miles of protection for the drivetrain, too...being as it's bumper to bumper. So that turbo? When it dies at 140K miles? Not my problem.

Registered Member

SUV

Most (if not all) extended warranties do NOT include coverage of headlight assemblies & related components.

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-5 GTR

wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrass View Post
    most (if not all) extended warranties do not include coverage of headlight assemblies & related components.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrass View Post
    Most (if not all) extended warranties do NOT include coverage of headlight assemblies & related components.
    Mine does, thankfully.

Registered Member
    Donated: $25

Mine does, thankfully.
    What company is your warranty from?
    I know you bought it from your dealer, but you mentioned it was a 3rd party warranty so I*m wondering who*s it is?

Thanks.

Registered Member

SUV

Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    What company is your warranty from?
    I know you bought it from your dealer, but you mentioned it was a 3rd party warranty so I*m wondering who*s it is?

Thanks.
    You'll want to avoid Unob's warranty. If I recall, he paid a whopping $2500 for it.

You'd be much better off putting that $2500 in an online savings account.
    If you need repairs, pay for it from that account.
    If not, you'll have a big pile of cash leftover to use however you want.

Registered Member

SUV

Quote Originally Posted by pcardoza View Post
    I've purchased ONE EW in my lifetime...... On my 2015 Jeep Wrangler, LIFETIME bumper-to-bumper warranty, which I negotiated from $4200 down to $2500. $100 deductible per service visit.
    That policy paid for itself quickly, since I had a good selection of warranty claims. Unfortunately, I ended up trading the Jeep in just shy of 100k miles
    Your vehicle came with...
    - 36K mile bumper-to-bumper warranty
    - 60K mile powertrain warranty
    - 80K mile emissions component warranty
    - 100K of roadside assistance

Yet you had ~$3000 worth of covered extended warranty claims that were NOT covered by these manufacturer warranties, all of which happened before 100K miles?

I'd be interested to hear what these warranty claims were for and at what mileage they happened.

Registered Member

I paid about $1850 to the dealer for a 150k exclusionary/bumper-to-bumper service contract from NAE/NWAN. No time limit. $100 deductible per issue. Doesn't cover headlights, sunroof, exhaust pipes/resonator/cat/muffler, or regular wear/maintenance parts. Does allow me to lower car up to 2". Covers costs up to msrp for factory parts & going rates for labor. Doesn't cover core/disposal/fluid/shop-matl costs.

I'm still in the 60 day period where I can return it for a full refund. After shopping around to the few places that would quote me in California, I'm thinking I'll keep it. Thinking it'll be nice not to worry too much about the turbo, transmission, computer modules, or AWD crapping out.
    Last edited by CX_MCHNE; 08-07-2019 at 10:34 PM.

Registered Member

2017 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring

I really donít know if I should bother getting this for my 19í Sig...

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Quote Originally Posted by Jman136 View Post
    I really donít know if I should bother getting this for my 19í Sig...
    As a person historically against extended warranties........I now advise to purchase them BUT not at retail. Negotiate!!

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-5 GTR

150,000 miles for today's vehicles should be pretty much trouble free, assuming regular maintenance. An Extended Warranty that covers anything less than 200k - 250k miles, IMHO is a waste of money. Especially for a quality vehicle.......... It's not like we're talking FCA here.

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature

I never buy extended warranties, but with all the expensive electronic stuff on the GTR and Sig, I'm having 2nd thoughts. I plan on keeping this car for a long time (10+ yrs). I had BSM issues on my 2008 CX9GT and the cost of sorting it out was prohibitive. So I just lived with the BSM light flashing. But now there's just so many more sensors and displays that it could be an expensive nightmare to keep it all functional.

There's so many critical settings accessed through the user interface (beyond just the entertainment/radio) that you can't get by for long without that functionality. Besides the BSM, there's such an alphabet soup of other acronyms of other systems, I can't even keep track of them. Since electronic glitches aren't going to be diagnosed and repaired by your friendly grease-monkey, it will mean wholesale and expensive component replacement until a problem is solved.

I kind of wonder if these extended warranties have actually priced that in. Are electronics excluded? While mechanical failure/repair is pretty well understood, these new gizmos are an unknown.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast