Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Extended warranty cost?

Registered Member

TBD

Extended warranty cost?

When I bought my 16.5 2.75 years ago, I got a Mazda Extended Confidence (MEC) extended warranty. It added 6 years and 54k miles to to the 3/36 it came with. ($0 deductible)

Many dealers sell more profitable 3rd party warranties and pretend Mazda doesn’t offer their own extensions.
    Last edited by PaulZooms; 06-10-2019 at 09:00 PM.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by PaulZooms View Post
    When I bought my 16.5 2.75 years ago, I got a Mazda Extended Confidence (MEC) extended warranty. It added 6 years and 54k miles to to the 3/36 it came with. ($0 deductible)

Many dealers sell more profitable 3rd party warranties and pretend Mazda doesn*t offer their own extensions.
    MEC only goes out to 100k miles. 3 years, for me. Not worth the savings over a 150k mile plan unless its dirt cheap, especially considering that by 150k, much more likely to have something die that "pays for the plan".

Registered Member

So that means there is a Mazda-backed extended warranty, but it only goes to 100k? Can anyone shed light on what factory/Mazda-backed warranties are available?

Not at all interested in aftermarket...

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by Stickygreen View Post
    So that means there is a Mazda-backed extended warranty, but it only goes to 100k? Can anyone shed light on what factory/Mazda-backed warranties are available?

I'd probably pass on the <100K mile warranties honestly. That's a gamble worth taking. It's kindof the "middle" of the curve. Mechanical things fail early, or late, rarely "mid" lifecycle.

That said, you should be able to shop warranties online, no?
    https://www.buywarranty.com/w/MazdaNH?wid=1&wid=1&wid=1

Take that to the dealer and ask them to beat it, or just buy it online, IMO

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stickygreen View Post

I guess I would consider aftermarket if it was a nationally recognized company that a Mazda dealer accepted. But I would be a bit leary if it...

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Extended warranty cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulZooms View Post

Many dealers sell more profitable 3rd party warranties and pretend Mazda doesn’t offer their own extensions.
    MEC only goes out to 100k miles. 3 years, for me. Not worth the savings over a 150k mile plan unless its dirt cheap, especially considering that by 150k, much more likely to have something die that "pays for the plan".
    Yes Mazda does offer its own extended warranty Mazda Extended Confidence with several different levels of coverages. It definitely NOT added 6 years and 54K miles like PaulZooms thought, as we have powertrain warranty which covers the powertrain for 5 years or 60K miles. And even the best Total Confidence extended warranty by Mazda, it's still not a bumper-to-bumper warranty like the 3/36 new car warranty. That's why I didn't get it at the time and go for self-insured way.

If I want an extended warranty, I'd go for one backed by the manufacture. Third party extended warranty could worth nothing if the company went under. It has happened a couple of times before.

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    If I want an extended warranty, I'd go for one backed by the manufacture. Third party extended warranty could worth nothing if the company went under. It has happened a couple of times before.
    Or when they deny your claim, which has happened more than a couple of times.

Registered Member

Or even better, the old “we won’t know what the problem is or if it’s covered until we open up the engine” which of course would be at owners expense. At that point, you’re tied in to the dealer repair and can only hope they determine repairs are covered.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    Or when they deny your claim, which has happened more than a couple of times.
    Why would a company go under selling products that just generste profit and dont pay out because cars are so reliable that warranties are a ripoff?

Can't have both theories...
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 06-13-2019 at 02:32 AM.

2017 BMW X1

A dealer recently quoted me $599 for the extended confidence warranty (Powertrain only to 100k) when I asked them why one of their used 2017*s wasn*t a CPO, but said we could negotiate it with the car.

I don*t think I*d ever bother with any other warranty. Engine and tranny failure are the only repairs that scare me.

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Why would a company go under selling products that just generste profit and dont pay out because cars are so reliable that warranties are a ripoff?

Can't have both theories...
    Eh? Traditionally people shit on third party extended warranties because they had found every way to get out of paying something. "That's not covered", etc., etc. I know too many people who bought extended car warranties and got burned.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 82k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by jmhumr View Post
    A dealer recently quoted me $599 for the extended confidence warranty (Powertrain only to 100k) when I asked them why one of their used 2017*s wasn*t a CPO, but said we could negotiate it with the car.

I don*t think I*d ever bother with any other warranty. Engine and tranny failure are the only repairs that scare me.
    Then you don't know what those oscillating LED head-lights, or an AC compressor failure, or BSM system failure costs to fix...

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    Eh? Traditionally people shit on third party extended warranties because they had found every way to get out of paying something. "That's not covered", etc., etc. I know too many people who bought extended car warranties and got burned.
    That's why I went with one backed by my dealer. I have a helluva solid area I live in, and people just don't sell shit products and stick around, here. Before you poopoo it, remember that $2800 diff my dealer took care of for me? They have the track record to win my loyalty. I asked them about that, and they said when push came to shove, they would eat the expense if it kept things honest. They did it before, so I have no reason to doubt they wouldn't, this time.

Oh...they might not, you say...

...well look how Honda is treating everyone with that CRV oil-dilution issue...OEM warranty ain't all that and a bag of chips, 100% guaranteed, either.

Registered Member

16.5 CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech BRMica

2017 BMW X1

Then you don't know what those oscillating LED head-lights, or an AC compressor failure, or BSM system failure costs to fix...
    They way I see it, it*ll take roughly two of those failures to add up to the cost of the warranty, so I*m ok paying that cost once it*s going toward an actual repair vice a piece of paper. Plus, given the poor state of customer support these days, I don*t have any confidence that getting something covered under warranty will take any less than 2 months of angry phone calls.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast