Extended warranty cost?

When I bought my 16.5 2.75 years ago, I got a Mazda Extended Confidence (MEC) extended warranty. It added 6 years and 54k miles to to the 3/36 it came with. ($0 deductible)

Many dealers sell more profitable 3rd party warranties and pretend Mazda doesnt offer their own extensions.
MEC only goes out to 100k miles. 3 years, for me. Not worth the savings over a 150k mile plan unless its dirt cheap, especially considering that by 150k, much more likely to have something die that "pays for the plan".
Yes Mazda does offer its own extended warranty Mazda Extended Confidence with several different levels of coverages. It definitely NOT added 6 years and 54K miles like PaulZooms thought, as we have powertrain warranty which covers the powertrain for 5 years or 60K miles. And even the best Total Confidence extended warranty by Mazda, it's still not a bumper-to-bumper warranty like the 3/36 new car warranty. That's why I didn't get it at the time and go for self-insured way.

If I want an extended warranty, I'd go for one backed by the manufacture. Third party extended warranty could worth nothing if the company went under. It has happened a couple of times before.

If I want an extended warranty, I'd go for one backed by the manufacture. Third party extended warranty could worth nothing if the company went under. It has happened a couple of times before.
Or when they deny your claim, which has happened more than a couple of times.

Or even better, the old we wont know what the problem is or if its covered until we open up the engine which of course would be at owners expense. At that point, youre tied in to the dealer repair and can only hope they determine repairs are covered.

Or when they deny your claim, which has happened more than a couple of times.

Why would a company go under selling products that just generste profit and dont pay out because cars are so reliable that warranties are a ripoff?

Can't have both theories...

Last edited:
A dealer recently quoted me $599 for the extended confidence warranty (Powertrain only to 100k) when I asked them why one of their used 2017*s wasn*t a CPO, but said we could negotiate it with the car.

I don*t think I*d ever bother with any other warranty. Engine and tranny failure are the only repairs that scare me.

Why would a company go under selling products that just generste profit and dont pay out because cars are so reliable that warranties are a ripoff?

Can't have both theories...
Eh? Traditionally people s*** on third party extended warranties because they had found every way to get out of paying something. "That's not covered", etc., etc. I know too many people who bought extended car warranties and got burned.

A dealer recently quoted me $599 for the extended confidence warranty (Powertrain only to 100k) when I asked them why one of their used 2017*s wasn*t a CPO, but said we could negotiate it with the car.

I don*t think I*d ever bother with any other warranty. Engine and tranny failure are the only repairs that scare me.

Then you don't know what those oscillating LED head-lights, or an AC compressor failure, or BSM system failure costs to fix...

Eh? Traditionally people s*** on third party extended warranties because they had found every way to get out of paying something. "That's not covered", etc., etc. I know too many people who bought extended car warranties and got burned.

That's why I went with one backed by my dealer. I have a helluva solid area I live in, and people just don't sell s*** products and stick around, here. Before you poopoo it, remember that $2800 diff my dealer took care of for me? They have the track record to win my loyalty. I asked them about that, and they said when push came to shove, they would eat the expense if it kept things honest. They did it before, so I have no reason to doubt they wouldn't, this time.

Oh...they might not, you say...

...well look how Honda is treating everyone with that CRV oil-dilution issue...OEM warranty ain't all that and a bag of chips, 100% guaranteed, either.

Then you don't know what those oscillating LED head-lights, or an AC compressor failure, or BSM system failure costs to fix...

They way I see it, it*ll take roughly two of those failures to add up to the cost of the warranty, so I*m ok paying that cost once it*s going toward an actual repair vice a piece of paper. Plus, given the poor state of customer support these days, I don*t have any confidence that getting something covered under warranty will take any less than 2 months of angry phone calls.

They way I see it, it*ll take roughly two of those failures to add up to the cost of the warranty, so I*m ok paying that cost once it*s going toward an actual repair vice a piece of paper. Plus, given the poor state of customer support these days, I don*t have any confidence that getting something covered under warranty will take any less than 2 months of angry phone calls.

The HID head lamp in my 370z, which did not oscillate, was $1800/ea.

Your dealer experience may vary?

I have to admit, the thought of purchasing a 3rd party EW leaves me skeptical. If I were looking for one, I'd need to spend a LOT of time doing research into the provider. The 10yr/150k policy that Unobtanium has, would probably be the minimum I would consider, as long as the price was negotiable.

I've purchased ONE EW in my lifetime...... On my 2015 Jeep Wrangler, because of my previous history with FCA quality and the fact that FCA was offering a LIFETIME bumper-to-bumper warranty, which I negotiated from $4200 down to $2500. $100 deductible per service visit. Free loaner car until 100k miles, trip interruption insurance, towing included. That policy paid for itself quickly, since I had a good selection of warranty claims. Unfortunately, I ended up trading the Jeep in just shy of 100k miles, because I got tired of filling it up with gas every other day!

The HID head lamp in my 370z, which did not oscillate, was $1800/ea.

Your dealer experience may vary?

Prices vary wildly by company. That seems extreme for a Nissan. A quick search of CX5 headlights showed much cheaper. Regardless, headlights are a fun salvage/DIY job. :)

I*m more concerned about things that go wrong that prevent me from driving the car.

Prices vary wildly by company. That seems extreme for a Nissan. A quick search of CX5 headlights showed much cheaper. Regardless, headlights are a fun salvage/DIY job. :)

I*m more concerned about things that go wrong that prevent me from driving the car.

Headlights would be one of those things...
A/C is one of those things here in the South(ish) US, too, lol!

Really though, it ALSO kinda includes 150K miles of protection for the drivetrain, too...being as it's bumper to bumper. So that turbo? When it dies at 140K miles? Not my problem.

What company is your warranty from?
I know you bought it from your dealer, but you mentioned it was a 3rd party warranty so I*m wondering who*s it is?

Thanks.

You'll want to avoid Unob's warranty. If I recall, he paid a whopping $2500 for it.

You'd be much better off putting that $2500 in an online savings account.
If you need repairs, pay for it from that account.
If not, you'll have a big pile of cash leftover to use however you want.

I've purchased ONE EW in my lifetime...... On my 2015 Jeep Wrangler, LIFETIME bumper-to-bumper warranty, which I negotiated from $4200 down to $2500. $100 deductible per service visit.
That policy paid for itself quickly, since I had a good selection of warranty claims. Unfortunately, I ended up trading the Jeep in just shy of 100k miles

Your vehicle came with...
- 36K mile bumper-to-bumper warranty
- 60K mile powertrain warranty
- 80K mile emissions component warranty
- 100K of roadside assistance

Yet you had ~$3000 worth of covered extended warranty claims that were NOT covered by these manufacturer warranties, all of which happened before 100K miles?

I'd be interested to hear what these warranty claims were for and at what mileage they happened.

Back