Any high mileage 18-up cx5s out there?

About to pick up a 19 touring awd that will be seeing a lot of miles (30-35k per year). Only recently came across the cylinder deactivation/rocket arm issues, but still went with a new 19 for the CarPlay, center vent, lighted switches, etc and lack of well-equipped awd 17s.

Anybody have a higher mileage 18 and up cx5? Dont imagine there are many, but curious to see how the CD cars are holding up. Going to pick up the 19 regardless, but now considering an extended warranty.

If it's a brand new CX-5, just have the dealer perform the TSB to get the appropriate software related to the CD issue updated. The lifter will not have fallen off if it's brand new and hasn't been driven, and the updated software will prevent the lifter from falling off. You'll still have the warranty (and the extended warranty if you opt for it), plus if this ever becomes a widespread issue, Mazda would issue a recall (or owners would file a class-action lawsuit).

If you get any pushback from the dealer, just refuse to pick the car up until they do it on their dime (escalate to Mazda Corporate, if necessary).

Not so sure I believe the software will completely prevent the problem, and am not freaking out about it. Just trying to gauge if extended warranty might be worth it, which previous to reading about the issue wouldnt have even been a thought. Guess itll depend on how much they want for the extended warranty

Have an '18 GT I got in September, currently with 21k miles on it so I think I qualify for high mileage 🤣

No CELs yet for me, but they did replace the blower fan as it would fluctuate wildly in speed with auto turned off and manual fan speed set.

Other than that it's been a solid heavy use vehicle for me in the extreme heat of SoFlo.

I will admit, the cylinder deactivation issue worries me as well - since I haven't had any CELs I guess I'm okay.

Don't even know if the dealership would let me just push on them to check it for that TSB since I haven't experienced the symptoms.

If it's a brand new CX-5, just have the dealer perform the TSB to get the appropriate software related to the CD issue updated. The lifter will not have fallen off if it's brand new and hasn't been driven, and the updated software will prevent the lifter from falling off. You'll still have the warranty (and the extended warranty if you opt for it), plus if this ever becomes a widespread issue, Mazda would issue a recall (or owners would file a class-action lawsuit).

If you get any pushback from the dealer, just refuse to pick the car up until they do it on their dime (escalate to Mazda Corporate, if necessary).
For the record, it isn't a Technical Service Bulletin, TSB, Mazda issued to this rocker arm falling off problem on its 2.5L with cylinder deactivation. It's the Service Alert Mazda issued for this problem and there're two. Service Alert is more serious than TSB which also have reported to NHTSA.

Not so sure I believe the software will completely prevent the problem, and am not freaking out about it. Just trying to gauge if extended warranty might be worth it, which previous to reading about the issue wouldnt have even been a thought. Guess itll depend on how much they want for the extended warranty
I also don't believe this problem can be eliminated completely only by PCM software updates. The powertrain warranty is pretty long, 5 years or 60,000 miles, so getting an extended warranty to cover the rest may not worth it.

Have an '18 GT I got in September, currently with 21k miles on it so I think I qualify for high mileage 🤣

No CELs yet for me, but they did replace the blower fan as it would fluctuate wildly in speed with auto turned off and manual fan speed set.

Other than that it's been a solid heavy use vehicle for me in the extreme heat of SoFlo.

I will admit, the cylinder deactivation issue worries me as well - since I haven't had any CELs I guess I'm okay.

Don't even know if the dealership would let me just push on them to check it for that TSB since I haven't experienced the symptoms.
The problem on rocker arm falling off is you don't get CEL unless you rev your engine high and the engine falls into the limp mode. This's sometimes dangerous if this happens at the time you're trying to pass. If I had a 2.5L with cylinder deactivation, I'd try to rev the engine over 4,000 rpm frequently just to make sure none of the rocker arms has fallen off.

Being a service alert, does that mean this issue would be covered beyond warranty or likely not? Well burn thru that 60k powertrain warranty in less than two years, hence the consideration of an extended. And Ill be sure to redline it on a regular basis

Being a service alert, does that mean this issue would be covered beyond warranty or likely not? Well burn thru that 60k powertrain warranty in less than two years, hence the consideration of an extended. And Ill be sure to redline it on a regular basis
If I were in this situation I'd give up the coming new CX-5 with this potential problem and negotiate a 2.5T CX-5 which doesn't have cylinder deactivation. Like I said before the real problem to me is this issue has no prior warning when you need the power the most which may put you in a very dangerous situation. And the Service Alert by Mazda doesn't explain the reason why the rocker arm fallen off, but told the CX-5 owners who have had this problem that the updates on PCM software should fix the problem. If this problem is this easy to fix, why Mazda hasn't been updating every PCM with cylinder deactivation which has already sold on the market? And why a new engine is required to resolve this problem?

To me, this's not a reliability issue, but a safety issue like the OP said in his thread:

Dangerous cylinder deactivation trouble on 2018 CX-5 and 6 models

And getting an extended warranty won't help you to resolve this potential problem at some point.

The turbo versions don't have cylinder deactivation do they?
No, 2.5T turbo doesn't have cylinder deactivation. If you really like the CX-5 and don't really care about the gas mileage, pay more and get the 2.5T. If you really care about the gas mileage, go get a 2019 Toyota RAV4.

What if I really like the cx5 and need all the mpg I can get? Instead of plunking down an extra 5-6k for the turbo, gonna use that money to pay off the ctsv wagon in the garage to only have one car payment.

RAV4 isnt an option...what I like most about the cx-5 is that I dont hate driving it. Same cant be said about the Toyota. This is going to be my ladys vehicle that we will also use when traveling as a family (all other vehicles are manual trans, which she hasnt mastered yet).

So, if this is a documented service alert, is it something that would be likely to be covered after warranty expires or probably not?

I think the odds are low that owners are going to get stuck paying for any rocker arm fixes after warranty. This would in no way dissuade me from buying a CX-5 with CD.

...what I like most about the cx-5 is that I dont hate driving it.
I guess that's a good thing. (drive2) (sick)

If I had a 2.5L with cylinder deactivation, I'd try to rev the engine over 4,000 rpm frequently just to make sure none of the rocker arms has fallen off.
I would, too. That's pretty pathetic, Mazda. (attn) (help)

If I were in this situation I'd give up the coming new CX-5 with this potential problem and negotiate a 2.5T CX-5 which doesn't have cylinder deactivation. Like I said before the real problem to me is this issue has no prior warning when you need the power the most which may put you in a very dangerous situation. And the Service Alert by Mazda doesn't explain the reason why the rocker arm fallen off, but told the CX-5 owners who have had this problem that the updates on PCM software should fix the problem. If this problem is this easy to fix, why Mazda hasn't been updating every PCM with cylinder deactivation which has already sold on the market? And why a new engine is required to resolve this problem?

To me, this's not a reliability issue, but a safety issue like the OP said in his thread:

Dangerous cylinder deactivation trouble on 2018 CX-5 and 6 models

And getting an extended warranty won't help you to resolve this potential problem at some point.

Car companies need to see the issue show up in a certain percentage of their cars before offering a recall like you describe. Even though a software fix is effectively *free,* Mazda will lose a ton of money when 150k customers descend upon dealers and suck up labor. That*s why Mazda, like any other car company, addresses these things incrementally.

And I call BS on characterizing this as a safety issue. Yeah it sucks if your car stalls, but that can happen from something as dumb as driving your car on empty or overheating your clutch (in a manual). As far as I*m aware, there aren*t any safety campaigns out there demanding that people keep their car fueled. Real safety issues are loss of brakes, fires, explosive airbags, etc. I know you*re waging jihad against CD, but it*s over the top to call it dangerous.

Car companies need to see the issue show up in a certain percentage of their cars before offering a recall like you describe. Even though a software fix is effectively *free,* Mazda will lose a ton of money when 150k customers descend upon dealers and suck up labor. That*s why Mazda, like any other car company, addresses these things incrementally.

And I call BS on characterizing this as a safety issue. Yeah it sucks if your car stalls, but that can happen from something as dumb as driving your car on empty or overheating your clutch (in a manual). As far as I*m aware, there aren*t any safety campaigns out there demanding that people keep their car fueled. Real safety issues are loss of brakes, fires, explosive airbags, etc. I know you*re waging jihad against CD, but it*s over the top to call it dangerous.
How many times we've seen a safety recall forced by NHTSA described as a sudden loss of power? What does the title say created by the CX-5 owner who called the situation "dangerous"? His wife now is afraid of driving her CX-5 after the incident of sudden loss of power while passing on a two-way highway without any prior warnings. If there's enough CX-5 owners (26 cases until Oct, 2018) who experienced such issue and all filed the safety complaint to NHTSA, a safety recall will happen in the near future.

Uncertain or potential sudden loss of power without any warnings is indeed dangerous to me. In this case it's different from the examples you listed as for those you will get some sort of warnings. It's your choice whether you want to take such risk or not. Just don't say you didn't get warned.

The difference is the first examples you gave are of the driver being an idiot. If you're an idiot and the car stops working that is on you.

The issue with the CD stalling is you are operating the car perfectly normal and then it stalls on you out of nowhere, trying to cross a busy road, at highway speeds, etc. Anytime there is a sudden unexpected loss of power not caused by something the driver did, it is a safety issue. There are hundreds of recalls to back that up.

I mean...this is an unexpected loss of power that you are not in control of. Outside of what you are in control of, you are not in control of the cars around you when you unexpectedly lose power. To me this is absolutely a safety issue.

This is the gray world of deciding if the impact of an issue creates a safety situation. I'm with jmhumr (above). There are many reasons a car can stall, go into limp mode or suddenly stop moving. Even if the reason is a defective part or defective programming that doesn't automatically make it a safety recall. This may become a recall issue someday - but I can see both sides of this argument. So far, based on what I know, the current response is appropriate and this is is not a safety issue.

Back