Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any high mileage ‘18-up cx5’s out there?

2017 BMW X1

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    If I were in this situation I'd give up the coming new CX-5 with this potential problem and negotiate a 2.5T CX-5 which doesn't have cylinder deactivation. Like I said before the real problem to me is this issue has no prior warning when you need the power the most which may put you in a very dangerous situation. And the Service Alert by Mazda doesn't explain the reason why the rocker arm fallen off, but told the CX-5 owners who have had this problem that the updates on PCM software should fix the problem. If this problem is this easy to fix, why Mazda hasn't been updating every PCM with cylinder deactivation which has already sold on the market? And why a new engine is required to resolve this problem?

To me, this's not a reliability issue, but a safety issue like the OP said in his thread:

Dangerous cylinder deactivation trouble on 2018 CX-5 and 6 models

And getting an extended warranty won't help you to resolve this potential problem at some point.
    Car companies need to see the issue show up in a certain percentage of their cars before offering a recall like you describe. Even though a software fix is effectively *free,* Mazda will lose a ton of money when 150k customers descend upon dealers and suck up labor. That*s why Mazda, like any other car company, addresses these things incrementally.

And I call BS on characterizing this as a safety issue. Yeah it sucks if your car stalls, but that can happen from something as dumb as driving your car on empty or overheating your clutch (in a manual). As far as I*m aware, there aren*t any safety campaigns out there demanding that people keep their car fueled. Real safety issues are loss of brakes, fires, explosive airbags, etc. I know you*re waging jihad against CD, but it*s over the top to call it dangerous.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Any high mileage ‘18-up cx5’s out there?

Quote Originally Posted by jmhumr View Post
    Car companies need to see the issue show up in a certain percentage of their cars before offering a recall like you describe. Even though a software fix is effectively *free,* Mazda will lose a ton of money when 150k customers descend upon dealers and suck up labor. That*s why Mazda, like any other car company, addresses these things incrementally.

And I call BS on characterizing this as a safety issue. Yeah it sucks if your car stalls, but that can happen from something as dumb as driving your car on empty or overheating your clutch (in a manual). As far as I*m aware, there aren*t any safety campaigns out there demanding that people keep their car fueled. Real safety issues are loss of brakes, fires, explosive airbags, etc. I know you*re waging jihad against CD, but it*s over the top to call it dangerous.
    How many times we've seen a safety recall forced by NHTSA described as a sudden loss of power? What does the title say created by the CX-5 owner who called the situation "dangerous"? His wife now is afraid of driving her CX-5 after the incident of sudden loss of power while passing on a two-way highway without any prior warnings. If there's enough CX-5 owners (26 cases until Oct, 2018) who experienced such issue and all filed the safety complaint to NHTSA, a safety recall will happen in the near future.

Uncertain or potential sudden loss of power without any warnings is indeed dangerous to me. In this case it's different from the examples you listed as for those you will get some sort of warnings. It's your choice whether you want to take such risk or not. Just don't say you didn't get warned.

2014 CX-5 GT w/ Tech

The difference is the first examples you gave are of the driver being an idiot. If you're an idiot and the car stops working that is on you.

The issue with the CD stalling is you are operating the car perfectly normal and then it stalls on you out of nowhere, trying to cross a busy road, at highway speeds, etc. Anytime there is a sudden unexpected loss of power not caused by something the driver did, it is a safety issue. There are hundreds of recalls to back that up.

Current: 2017 CX-5 GT Machine Gray
    Past: 2014 CX-5 GT w/Tech Crystal White
    Hardwired V1 - (click here for instructions: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...-a-Valentine-1)

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

I mean...this is an unexpected loss of power that you are not in control of. Outside of what you are in control of, you are not in control of the cars around you when you unexpectedly lose power. To me this is absolutely a safety issue.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 82k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

Registered Member

92 MX-3; 18 CX-5

This is the gray world of deciding if the impact of an issue creates a safety situation. I'm with jmhumr (above). There are many reasons a car can stall, go into limp mode or suddenly stop moving. Even if the reason is a defective part or defective programming that doesn't automatically make it a safety recall. This may become a recall issue someday - but I can see both sides of this argument. So far, based on what I know, the current response is appropriate and this is is not a safety issue.

Registered Member

Well, despite all the stuff about rocker arms, picked up our new ‘19 touring awd w/package yesterday. Pretty nice vehicle and my lady is stoked, especially with the apple carplay (as am I...it’s pretty damn cool and convenient). Going to be putting 100k miles on this thing in the next three years, so guess we’ll see how it holds up.

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

For the record, it isn't a Technical Service Bulletin, TSB, Mazda issued to this rocker arm falling off problem on its 2.5L with cylinder deactivation. It's the Service Alert Mazda issued for this problem and there're two. Service Alert is more serious than TSB which also have reported to NHTSA.
    Fair enough, Service Alert, not TSB. In any event, I would have the necessary software updates done, referencing the two Service Alerts. Once that's done, I'd drive the car normally and give it the beans on an open road a few times to make sure it doesn't exhibit the symptoms of a rocker arm that has fallen off. If it doesn't, then I'm home free

Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    Fair enough, Service Alert, not TSB. In any event, I would have the necessary software updates done, referencing the two Service Alerts. Once that's done, I'd drive the car normally and give it the beans on an open road a few times to make sure it doesn't exhibit the symptoms of a rocker arm that has fallen off. If it doesn't, then I'm home free
    If you noticed, Mazda won't update your PCM firmware unless you have symptoms. This shows the rocker arm falling off problem is not as simple as PCM software updates. Saw today there's another TSB for 2018 CX-5 concerning P0524 CEL about low oil pressure which also requires PCM update. IMO this's also cylinder deactivation related. According to the TSB, what Mazda did on PCM update is to control engine oil pressure better in certain situations. This sounded very similar to the fix of rocker arm issue to me.

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

If you noticed, Mazda won't update your PCM firmware unless you have symptoms. This shows the rocker arm falling off problem is not as simple as PCM software updates. Saw today there's another TSB for 2018 CX-5 concerning P0524 CEL about low oil pressure which also requires PCM update. IMO this's also cylinder deactivation related. According to the TSB, what Mazda did on PCM update is to control engine oil pressure better in certain situations. This sounded very similar to the fix of rocker arm issue to me.
    What I'm saying is that IMO, Mazda should check the related software of the new vehicle to make sure that it has been updated. According to them, if the software is updated, the rocker arm will not fall off. This is in Mazda's best interest, because if they do not update the software and the rocker arm falls off, Mazda will have to eat the cost of replacing the engine (and updating the software anyway). If they refuse to check it, I would reference the Service Alert(s) and state to both the dealer and Mazda Corporate that you do not feel safe driving the vehicle due to the information presented in the Service Alert. As a last resort, I would threaten to bring this information to the local media.

For something like this, I would not be so easily turned away at the gates.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 GT

I have a 2018 with close to 20,000 miles that I bought last September with 2 miles on it. Absolutely no issues so far. I guess my only bitch would be that the oem wiper blades suck in the snow; and the "heated" area on the windshield doesn't do anything if you're driving in a snowstorm. Other than that, no issues and I drive it pretty hard.
    2018 Mazda CX-5 GT
    2016 Mazda CX-5 T -- sold
    2015 Yamaha FZ09 (Melisandre)
    2012 Yamaha R6 (Lucy) -- laid to rest
    2009 Mazda 3 (Fireball)
    1998 Chevy S-10 (Cindy)

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by mox44ah View Post
    I have a 2018 with close to 20,000 miles that I bought last September with 2 miles on it. Absolutely no issues so far. I guess my only bitch would be that the oem wiper blades suck in the snow; and the "heated" area on the windshield doesn't do anything if you're driving in a snowstorm. Other than that, no issues and I drive it pretty hard.
    Is there any compatible aftermarket wipers for the Gen 2 yet? I know I put Bosch Icons on my Gen 1 for the same reason. Stock wipers are absolutely pathetic in wintry weather.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    Is there any compatible aftermarket wipers for the Gen 2 yet? I know I put Bosch Icons on my Gen 1 for the same reason. Stock wipers are absolutely pathetic in wintry weather.
    Bosch Envision 24OE and 18OE. Has to be OE version to have a proper adapter.

Actually gen-1 OEM wiper blades are pretty good in non-wintry condition. And yes, gen-2 wiper blades have very proprietary hook where at least for Bosch, only Envision comes with proper adapter to install.

Now I really need to get used to $29 per wiper blade!

Registered Member

First post but lurking for many months.
    I have to think that long term reliability with the turbo itself could overall be a larger issue and eventually affect more people than the rocker arm issue. Nice to have that extra grunt and it appears the only penalties are more frequent spark plug changes and lower fuel economy and maybe the cost for premium fuel for those wanting the extra hp premium gives. Turbo will also put more stress on transmission, maybe tires and brakes, maybe more underhood heat etc.
    I would have no hesitation to pick up a GT and this is number 1 on my list, actually replacing a 2004 Acura TSX with 250,000 km and similar power and driving dynamics. I like the idea of a conventional non turbo engine with a simple 6 speed trans...not 9 speed, not CVT.
    Last edited by Nuke; 06-11-2019 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
    First post but lurking for many months.
    I have to think that long term reliability with the turbo itself could overall be a larger issue and eventually affect more people than the rocker arm issue. Nice to have that extra grunt and it appears the only penalties are more frequent spark plug changes and lower fuel economy and maybe the cost for premium fuel for those wanting the extra hp premium gives. Turbo will also put more stress on transmission, maybe tires and brakes, maybe more underhood heat etc.
    I would have no hesitation to pick up a GT and this is number 1 on my list, actually replacing a 2004 Acura TSX with 250,000 km and similar power and driving dynamics. I like the idea of a conventional non turbo engine with a simple 6 speed trans...not 9 speed, not CVT.
    Like you I also hate to get a turbo engine for long-term consideration. Unlike you, if I have to choose one between 2.5T and 2.5L with cylinder deactivation, I'd choose the 2.5T! That's how much I hate the CD and I even gave up my plan to get a 2018 CX-5 GT AWD mainly because Mazda suddenly added the CD.

Now we started to see some design issues on cylinder deactivation from 2.5L with CD. I'd predict there'll be more problems coming out as time goes by.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
    … I like the idea of a conventional non turbo engine with a simple 6 speed trans...not 9 speed, not CVT.
    Actually CVT is much simpler than a 6-speed transmission …

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast