Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any high mileage 18-up cx5s out there?

Registered Member

Any high mileage 18-up cx5s out there?

About to pick up a 19 touring awd that will be seeing a lot of miles (30-35k per year). Only recently came across the cylinder deactivation/rocket arm issues, but still went with a new 19 for the CarPlay, center vent, lighted switches, etc and lack of well-equipped awd 17s.

Anybody have a higher mileage 18 and up cx5? Dont imagine there are many, but curious to see how the CD cars are holding up. Going to pick up the 19 regardless, but now considering an extended warranty.

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

If it's a brand new CX-5, just have the dealer perform the TSB to get the appropriate software related to the CD issue updated. The lifter will not have fallen off if it's brand new and hasn't been driven, and the updated software will prevent the lifter from falling off. You'll still have the warranty (and the extended warranty if you opt for it), plus if this ever becomes a widespread issue, Mazda would issue a recall (or owners would file a class-action lawsuit).

If you get any pushback from the dealer, just refuse to pick the car up until they do it on their dime (escalate to Mazda Corporate, if necessary).

Registered Member

Not so sure I believe the software will completely prevent the problem, and am not freaking out about it. Just trying to gauge if extended warranty might be worth it, which previous to reading about the issue wouldnt have even been a thought. Guess itll depend on how much they want for the extended warranty

Registered Member

Have an '18 GT I got in September, currently with 21k miles on it so I think I qualify for high mileage 🤣

No CELs yet for me, but they did replace the blower fan as it would fluctuate wildly in speed with auto turned off and manual fan speed set.

Other than that it's been a solid heavy use vehicle for me in the extreme heat of SoFlo.

I will admit, the cylinder deactivation issue worries me as well - since I haven't had any CELs I guess I'm okay.

Don't even know if the dealership would let me just push on them to check it for that TSB since I haven't experienced the symptoms.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Any high mileage 18-up cx5s out there?

Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    If it's a brand new CX-5, just have the dealer perform the TSB to get the appropriate software related to the CD issue updated. The lifter will not have fallen off if it's brand new and hasn't been driven, and the updated software will prevent the lifter from falling off. You'll still have the warranty (and the extended warranty if you opt for it), plus if this ever becomes a widespread issue, Mazda would issue a recall (or owners would file a class-action lawsuit).

If you get any pushback from the dealer, just refuse to pick the car up until they do it on their dime (escalate to Mazda Corporate, if necessary).
    For the record, it isn't a Technical Service Bulletin, TSB, Mazda issued to this rocker arm falling off problem on its 2.5L with cylinder deactivation. It's the Service Alert Mazda issued for this problem and there're two. Service Alert is more serious than TSB which also have reported to NHTSA.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickygreen View Post
    Not so sure I believe the software will completely prevent the problem, and am not freaking out about it. Just trying to gauge if extended warranty might be worth it, which previous to reading about the issue wouldnt have even been a thought. Guess itll depend on how much they want for the extended warranty
    I also don't believe this problem can be eliminated completely only by PCM software updates. The powertrain warranty is pretty long, 5 years or 60,000 miles, so getting an extended warranty to cover the rest may not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Twostep View Post
    Have an '18 GT I got in September, currently with 21k miles on it so I think I qualify for high mileage 🤣

No CELs yet for me, but they did replace the blower fan as it would fluctuate wildly in speed with auto turned off and manual fan speed set.

Other than that it's been a solid heavy use vehicle for me in the extreme heat of SoFlo.

I will admit, the cylinder deactivation issue worries me as well - since I haven't had any CELs I guess I'm okay.

Don't even know if the dealership would let me just push on them to check it for that TSB since I haven't experienced the symptoms.
    The problem on rocker arm falling off is you don't get CEL unless you rev your engine high and the engine falls into the limp mode. This's sometimes dangerous if this happens at the time you're trying to pass. If I had a 2.5L with cylinder deactivation, I'd try to rev the engine over 4,000 rpm frequently just to make sure none of the rocker arms has fallen off.

Registered Member

Being a service alert, does that mean this issue would be covered beyond warranty or likely not? Well burn thru that 60k powertrain warranty in less than two years, hence the consideration of an extended. And Ill be sure to redline it on a regular basis

Registered Member

The turbo versions don't have cylinder deactivation do they?

Being a service alert, does that mean this issue would be covered beyond warranty or likely not? Well burn thru that 60k powertrain warranty in less than two years, hence the consideration of an extended. And Ill be sure to redline it on a regular basis
    If I were in this situation I'd give up the coming new CX-5 with this potential problem and negotiate a 2.5T CX-5 which doesn't have cylinder deactivation. Like I said before the real problem to me is this issue has no prior warning when you need the power the most which may put you in a very dangerous situation. And the Service Alert by Mazda doesn't explain the reason why the rocker arm fallen off, but told the CX-5 owners who have had this problem that the updates on PCM software should fix the problem. If this problem is this easy to fix, why Mazda hasn't been updating every PCM with cylinder deactivation which has already sold on the market? And why a new engine is required to resolve this problem?

To me, this's not a reliability issue, but a safety issue like the OP said in his thread:

Dangerous cylinder deactivation trouble on 2018 CX-5 and 6 models

And getting an extended warranty won't help you to resolve this potential problem at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Roblack View Post
    No, 2.5T turbo doesn't have cylinder deactivation. If you really like the CX-5 and don't really care about the gas mileage, pay more and get the 2.5T. If you really care about the gas mileage, go get a 2019 Toyota RAV4.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by Roblack View Post
    Nope. Part of why I done that. Cmon, OP...120# of torque and 60hp more, and it gets far better mpg than my 2015....

Registered Member

What if I really like the cx5 and need all the mpg I can get? Instead of plunking down an extra 5-6k for the turbo, gonna use that money to pay off the ctsv wagon in the garage to only have one car payment.

RAV4 isnt an option...what I like most about the cx-5 is that I dont hate driving it. Same cant be said about the Toyota. This is going to be my ladys vehicle that we will also use when traveling as a family (all other vehicles are manual trans, which she hasnt mastered yet).

So, if this is a documented service alert, is it something that would be likely to be covered after warranty expires or probably not?

2017 BMW X1

I think the odds are low that owners are going to get stuck paying for any rocker arm fixes after warranty. This would in no way dissuade me from buying a CX-5 with CD.

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

...what I like most about the cx-5 is that I dont hate driving it.
    I guess that's a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    If I had a 2.5L with cylinder deactivation, I'd try to rev the engine over 4,000 rpm frequently just to make sure none of the rocker arms has fallen off.
    I would, too. That's pretty pathetic, Mazda.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast