Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Must Admit as a Mazda CX5 Fan, 2019 Chevy Blazer Looks Awesome

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

It's a Chevy. Unless they aren't engineering crap anymore, I have no interest.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 82k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Zeroman View Post
    You would probably never know unless someone told you. Having worked as a parts person at a Mazda dealer for 10 years up until 2 years ago. The Mazda 3*s that we*re from Mexico you could not tell at all and believe it or not we had more problems with the Japanese ones vs those. So it*s a moot point.
    I guess it is more psychological than anything else. For example, no one wants the Mazda eco filters made in Mexico but they are probably perfectly fine. Japan has a reputation for making very high quality things from model airplane motors to cars.

'17 CX-5 GT, '17 Fusion Platinum, '17 Pacifica Limited

I tend to agree. The major automakers have all achieved fairly high levels of manufacturing quality control through automation and process control, so I don't think it matters where final assembly takes place. Reliability depends mostly on product testing and how rapidly manufacturers can iterate to improve the product. Customers' perception of reliability also depends on how responsive the manufacturers are to defects discovered in the field.

My main complaint with GM has been they make boring cars with dated looking cheap interiors. Their exterior styling has been getting better, but the interiors still look cheap, even in the GMC Denali trims. If they made something I really wanted, I personally wouldn't be too concerned about build quality or reliability.

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Quote Originally Posted by banjos-n-beer View Post
    The new 2019 Mazda 3s in my area were all built in japan. That surprised me.
    Made in Japan cars are getting rare in North America...but not as rare as my Made in Japan Plasma TV's I'm still rocking from the 2010's. Todays OLED and QLED and whateverLEd's can't stack up.

2014 Mazda3 S GT auto, 2008 MX5 6-speed

Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    That would be a Nissan problem, not a Mexico problem. Plenty of good stuff being made in Mexico, along with junk. Just like everywhere.
    I agree. Out of 29 vehicle manufacturers, Nissan came in 14th. Mazda came in 3rd, just behind Lexus and Toyota. There are some things manufacturers can do to ensure quality/reliability:

1. Design in quality and work with suppliers to produce consistently high-quality parts and subassemblies.

2. Create process instructions that produce repeatable, quality-focused results.

3. Train employees on a consistent basis.

4. Never "set and forget" production facilities in any country. Audit to verify that what was put in place is still in place.

I am involved in ensuring manufacturing quality in facilities in Asia and the US. Yes, in most cases the workers want to produce high quality products. Sometimes, their hands are "tied" in more ways than one. Management is often to blame.
    2014 3S GT, Deep Crystal Blue, Eibach Pro-Kit, Enkei PF01s, Koni Sports, Pirelli P ZERO ALL SEASON PLUS tires, 225/45/18
    2008 MX-5 Touring (Mazdaspeed CAI, HIDs, Progress/Koni Sports/Racing Beat sways, SST Magnaflow muffler and tips)

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Made in Mexico doesn't bother me as much as how good is the underlying engineering and design. In my estimation GM products are traditionally crap. I know co-workers and friends who have bough Chevy's, Fords, etc. and have had nothing but problems. Not saying Mazda or Japan doesn't have their issues (hi Nissan), but I am not yet convinced a Chevy isn't a total POS.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Chevy and Ford both are miles ahead of where they used to be. Neighbor has a Malibu and we were just talking about this a she is about to hit 100k miles. Most trouble free car she's ever had.

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Hey I thought Chevy's were pretty reliable? Never owned one but that's what I thought.

That said I read many reports of high mileage Eco-boost Ford pickups.

Registered Member

2015 CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    Hey I thought Chevy's were pretty reliable? Never owned one but that's what I thought.

That said I read many reports of high mileage Eco-boost Ford pickups.
    Having previously owned a 1999 Chevy Blazer for 3 years and a 2002 model for 12 years - they were great for first 3-5 years. Year 5+ nothing but issues and the reason I am in a Mazda today. In year 1-3 I loved the vehicle and was happy with it - if someone gave me money to buy a vehicle I would have got the exact same thing again. But 2 transmissions, enough wheel bearings I lost count, transfer case, rear differential, it was ridiculous AND I didn't offroad.

So if leasing or exchanging vehicle may work out well, if long-term purchase then where or how is reliability measured with a new model that hasn't been produced for a decade?

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    Hey I thought Chevy's were pretty reliable?
    Everyone I have ever known who owned a Chevy would disagree with that assertion.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Data from any publication over the past few years would disagree with that. JD Power, CR, True Delta even.
    Yea American cars were disposable in the 80s and 90s and they got their clocks cleaned. They recognized that and started building better cars.
    This myth that today they are garbage and unreliable is 80% a hold over from the past.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    Everyone I have ever known who owned a Chevy would disagree with that assertion.
    Man, my chevy products have been legit. I put 170K miles on a Trans Am with only a heater-core going out (1995). The previous owner says the transmission "grenaded" at 120K miles...also suspiciously twisting an axle in half...user error is my guess.

My next Trans Am was a 2001. It had a water pump go out at 75K miles or so, and the clutch master cyl at around 90K miles, and the T/O bearing began rattling around then, too. The clutch was in great shape, but the TO bearing was part of it, so that got replaced. Then, the 7.5 diff GM stupidly put in the car died literally in the driveway of the shop that did the clutch. Went through a couple of axles and wheel-bearings, but again...shitty 7.5 diff and I drove it HARD. A/C compressor went out at 115K miles. Really, as hard as I drove it and missed gears and all that learning to better drive a T56 car, it held up pretty darn well minus the A/C compressor failure. I took it to 149K miles and sold it. Engine doing great. T56 shifting fine, except you had to double-clutch it to smoothly shift into reverse, which is normal for high mile T56's.

My Dad's GM work van went 440K miles on the original engine and transmission, with a few water pump and other various replacements. Can't argue that. 5.3 Vortec, I believe.

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

The only experience I have with Chevy was a 1984 Celebrity that was handed down to me in 98 (dad bought it new). That car was a tank, no major repairs needed, only regular maintenance work. My mom had a 95 Cavalier, that was a total POS. Dad now owns a 2018 Equinox and loves it. I've driven it a few times and it seems perfectly fine for what it is, so far.

Registered Member

16.5 CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech BRMica

Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    The only experience I have with Chevy was a 1984 Celebrity that was handed down to me in 98 (dad bought it new). That car was a tank, no major repairs needed, only regular maintenance work. My mom had a 95 Cavalier, that was a total POS. Dad now owns a 2018 Equinox and loves it. I've driven it a few times and it seems perfectly fine for what it is, so far.
    1984 Citation here. F'n tank...lol

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonLewis View Post
    1984 Citation here. F'n tank...lol
    Lol. I remember accidentally backing into another car with the Celebrity while pulling out of a parking spot at the movie theater. The other car had a footlong dent in the door and my rear bumper didn't even have a scratch!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast