Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Must Admit as a Mazda CX5 Fan, 2019 Chevy Blazer Looks Awesome

2014 Mazda3 S GT auto, 2008 MX5 6-speed

Quote Originally Posted by 7eregrine View Post
    Data from any publication over the past few years would disagree with that. JD Power, CR, True Delta even.
    Yea American cars were disposable in the 80s and 90s and they got their clocks cleaned. They recognized that and started building better cars.
    This myth that today they are garbage and unreliable is 80% a hold over from the past.
    Well, let's see....According to the December, 2018 edition of Consumer Reports magazine on auto brand reliability rankings with #1 as most reliable and #29 as least reliable.....

Chevrolet: #23

Ford: #18

Chrysler: #24

GMC: #25

Tesla: #27

Cadillac: #28

Mazda: #3

So no, there is still no comparison.
    2014 3S GT, Deep Crystal Blue, Eibach Pro-Kit, Enkei PF01s, Koni Sports, Pirelli P ZERO ALL SEASON PLUS tires, 225/45/18
    2008 MX-5 Touring (Mazdaspeed CAI, HIDs, Progress/Koni Sports/Racing Beat sways, SST Magnaflow muffler and tips)

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by 7eregrine View Post
    Data from any publication over the past few years would disagree with that. JD Power, CR, True Delta even.
    Yea American cars were disposable in the 80s and 90s and they got their clocks cleaned. They recognized that and started building better cars.
    This myth that today they are garbage and unreliable is 80% a hold over from the past.
    They've got a ways to go still. My buddy's Chrvy Cruz was an absolute piece of junk and he got rid of it as soon as he could.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 82k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

Registered Member

92 MX-3; 18 CX-5

A ranking of brands can never capture the jewels and lemons in every brand portfolio. And, though I own and enjoy several Japanese brand cars they have produced (yes Toyota and Honda too) their share of lemons. Years of Toyota's with oil sludge issues in the 4 cylinder they used across their portfolio. Honda transmission problems and now the oil dilution debacle that impacts many of their models including the CRV. Subaru continues to struggle with head gaskets and oil consumption.
    My point: They all break and the consumer reports rankings are not the whole story.

Agree. Everyone has a story about someone that had x or y brand that was a lemon and someone else will refute that.
    Every brand... Except Jeep... Is a tiny percentage point from the next.

'17 CX-5 GT, '17 Fusion Platinum, '17 Pacifica Limited

I don't really trust Consumer Reports ratings of new vehicles. For models that are 5+ years old, they've collected enough data to make a reasonably objective rating. But for new vehicles, there's little or no data and their ratings are based on brand image and editorial biases. There's also something incestuous (for lack of a better word) about CR ratings because they are derived from the reports of subscribers who are influenced by the ratings. So if they consistently rate Toyota highly, they cultivate a positive brand image for Toyota among their subscribers, making it more likely for CR subscribers to buy Toyota and report favorably on it. And people who have had issues with Toyota are less likely to subscribe and report, and more likely to dismiss their problems as one-off or isolated. The opposite happens for brands they consistently rate poorly. For example, I remember back in the late 1990s & early 2000s they used to give VW and Audi high ratings. But everybody I knew who owned one of that vintage (wife, father, multiple friends, and multiple coworkers) had numerous problems. It took several years for CR to adjust their ratings for those model years down. Likewise, CR kept up high ratings of the Honda Odyssey for years while people suffered with systemic transmission failures and cylinder deactivation problems. They eventually did bring their ratings of the Odyssey down, but way too late.

My extended family and friends have had mixed luck with GM, mostly trucks and SUVs. They were pretty horrible back in the 80s and 90s, but much better recently. On the other hand, we've all had very good experiences with Ford. With any brand and model, there will always be some owners with problems and some without. The only things I won't buy are Jeeps and German cars.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring

My parents moved away from GM vehicles to Toyota in the late 80's and early 90's because the 80's GM stuff we had was total junk. But just last year my dad replaced his 2005 Taco with a 2018/19 Colorado. I never would have thought he would go back to GM, but it seems to be more truck for the money, and it's pretty nice for what it is. It's doing good so far, but it only has less than 7K miles on it, so time will tell I guess.
    1994 Acura Integra GSR - 368K miles, a few mods
    2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring - 88K miles, the family hauler!

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
    My parents moved away from GM vehicles to Toyota in the late 80's and early 90's because the 80's GM stuff we had was total junk. But just last year my dad replaced his 2005 Taco with a 2018/19 Colorado. I never would have thought he would go back to GM, but it seems to be more truck for the money, and it's pretty nice for what it is. It's doing good so far, but it only has less than 7K miles on it, so time will tell I guess.
    Neighbor did same thing. Traded in a 2011 4Runner for a shiny new GMC pickup. Advised he got offered a deal he couldn't refuse. Bet that dealership has no issues selling that 4runner though.

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    Advised he got offered a deal he couldn't refuse.
    Summoning my best Godfather impression.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

16.5 CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech BRMica

Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    Bet that dealership has no issues selling that 4runner though.
    I would've bought it and the Taco above. They're quick and easy sells that profit well (peeps are always looking for these things), and most of the time, are still better cars than what they're traded in for, no matter the year...lol

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    Summoning my best Godfather impression.
    The Dealer mafia neither recalls or refutes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonLewis View Post
    I would've bought it and the Taco above. They're quick and easy sells that profit well (peeps are always looking for these things), and most of the time, are still better cars than what they're traded in for, no matter the year...lol
    A typical used-Taco shopper see's one with 150k miles and thinks to themselves "hmmm low mileage" One thing you can't take away from Toyota is they make good trucks that last a long long time.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring

Well they actually traded the Taco when it was time for my mom to replace her 07 Camry with over 250K miles, because the 05 Taco (with over 200K) was worth more on trade-in. So my dad drove the Camry for awhile while mom got a new Honda CRV. Then my dad decided to order the Colarado and have it built to his spec, and apparently was able to get more truck for the money than with a new Tacoma.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234