Must Admit as a Mazda CX5 Fan, 2019 Chevy Blazer Looks Awesome

Data from any publication over the past few years would disagree with that. JD Power, CR, True Delta even.
Yea American cars were disposable in the 80s and 90s and they got their clocks cleaned. They recognized that and started building better cars.
This myth that today they are garbage and unreliable is 80% a hold over from the past.

Everyone I have ever known who owned a Chevy would disagree with that assertion.

Man, my chevy products have been legit. I put 170K miles on a Trans Am with only a heater-core going out (1995). The previous owner says the transmission "grenaded" at 120K miles...also suspiciously twisting an axle in half...user error is my guess.

My next Trans Am was a 2001. It had a water pump go out at 75K miles or so, and the clutch master cyl at around 90K miles, and the T/O bearing began rattling around then, too. The clutch was in great shape, but the TO bearing was part of it, so that got replaced. Then, the 7.5 diff GM stupidly put in the car died literally in the driveway of the shop that did the clutch. Went through a couple of axles and wheel-bearings, but again...bad 7.5 diff and I drove it HARD. A/C compressor went out at 115K miles. Really, as hard as I drove it and missed gears and all that learning to better drive a T56 car, it held up pretty darn well minus the A/C compressor failure. I took it to 149K miles and sold it. Engine doing great. T56 shifting fine, except you had to double-clutch it to smoothly shift into reverse, which is normal for high mile T56's.

My Dad's GM work van went 440K miles on the original engine and transmission, with a few water pump and other various replacements. Can't argue that. 5.3 Vortec, I believe.

The only experience I have with Chevy was a 1984 Celebrity that was handed down to me in 98 (dad bought it new). That car was a tank, no major repairs needed, only regular maintenance work. My mom had a 95 Cavalier, that was a total POS. Dad now owns a 2018 Equinox and loves it. I've driven it a few times and it seems perfectly fine for what it is, so far.

The only experience I have with Chevy was a 1984 Celebrity that was handed down to me in 98 (dad bought it new). That car was a tank, no major repairs needed, only regular maintenance work. My mom had a 95 Cavalier, that was a total POS. Dad now owns a 2018 Equinox and loves it. I've driven it a few times and it seems perfectly fine for what it is, so far.

1984 Citation here. F'n tank...lol

1984 Citation here. F'n tank...lol

Lol. I remember accidentally backing into another car with the Celebrity while pulling out of a parking spot at the movie theater. The other car had a footlong dent in the door and my rear bumper didn't even have a scratch!

Data from any publication over the past few years would disagree with that. JD Power, CR, True Delta even.
Yea American cars were disposable in the 80s and 90s and they got their clocks cleaned. They recognized that and started building better cars.
This myth that today they are garbage and unreliable is 80% a hold over from the past.

Well, let's see....According to the December, 2018 edition of Consumer Reports magazine on auto brand reliability rankings with #1 as most reliable and #29 as least reliable.....

Chevrolet: #23

Ford: #18

Chrysler: #24

GMC: #25

Tesla: #27

Cadillac: #28

Mazda: #3

So no, there is still no comparison.

They've got a ways to go still. My buddy's Chrvy Cruz was an absolute piece of junk and he got rid of it as soon as he could.

A ranking of brands can never capture the jewels and lemons in every brand portfolio. And, though I own and enjoy several Japanese brand cars they have produced (yes Toyota and Honda too) their share of lemons. Years of Toyota's with oil sludge issues in the 4 cylinder they used across their portfolio. Honda transmission problems and now the oil dilution debacle that impacts many of their models including the CRV. Subaru continues to struggle with head gaskets and oil consumption.
My point: They all break and the consumer reports rankings are not the whole story.

Agree. Everyone has a story about someone that had x or y brand that was a lemon and someone else will refute that.
Every brand... Except Jeep... Is a tiny percentage point from the next.

I don't really trust Consumer Reports ratings of new vehicles. For models that are 5+ years old, they've collected enough data to make a reasonably objective rating. But for new vehicles, there's little or no data and their ratings are based on brand image and editorial biases. There's also something incestuous (for lack of a better word) about CR ratings because they are derived from the reports of subscribers who are influenced by the ratings. So if they consistently rate Toyota highly, they cultivate a positive brand image for Toyota among their subscribers, making it more likely for CR subscribers to buy Toyota and report favorably on it. And people who have had issues with Toyota are less likely to subscribe and report, and more likely to dismiss their problems as one-off or isolated. The opposite happens for brands they consistently rate poorly. For example, I remember back in the late 1990s & early 2000s they used to give VW and Audi high ratings. But everybody I knew who owned one of that vintage (wife, father, multiple friends, and multiple coworkers) had numerous problems. It took several years for CR to adjust their ratings for those model years down. Likewise, CR kept up high ratings of the Honda Odyssey for years while people suffered with systemic transmission failures and cylinder deactivation problems. They eventually did bring their ratings of the Odyssey down, but way too late.

My extended family and friends have had mixed luck with GM, mostly trucks and SUVs. They were pretty horrible back in the 80s and 90s, but much better recently. On the other hand, we've all had very good experiences with Ford. With any brand and model, there will always be some owners with problems and some without. The only things I won't buy are Jeeps and German cars.

My parents moved away from GM vehicles to Toyota in the late 80's and early 90's because the 80's GM stuff we had was total junk. But just last year my dad replaced his 2005 Taco with a 2018/19 Colorado. I never would have thought he would go back to GM, but it seems to be more truck for the money, and it's pretty nice for what it is. It's doing good so far, but it only has less than 7K miles on it, so time will tell I guess.

My parents moved away from GM vehicles to Toyota in the late 80's and early 90's because the 80's GM stuff we had was total junk. But just last year my dad replaced his 2005 Taco with a 2018/19 Colorado. I never would have thought he would go back to GM, but it seems to be more truck for the money, and it's pretty nice for what it is. It's doing good so far, but it only has less than 7K miles on it, so time will tell I guess.

Neighbor did same thing. Traded in a 2011 4Runner for a shiny new GMC pickup. Advised he got offered a deal he couldn't refuse. Bet that dealership has no issues selling that 4runner though.

Bet that dealership has no issues selling that 4runner though.

I would've bought it and the Taco above. They're quick and easy sells that profit well (peeps are always looking for these things), and most of the time, are still better cars than what they're traded in for, no matter the year...lol

Summoning my best Godfather impression.

The Dealer mafia neither recalls or refutes this.

I would've bought it and the Taco above. They're quick and easy sells that profit well (peeps are always looking for these things), and most of the time, are still better cars than what they're traded in for, no matter the year...lol

A typical used-Taco shopper see's one with 150k miles and thinks to themselves "hmmm low mileage" :) One thing you can't take away from Toyota is they make good trucks that last a long long time.

Well they actually traded the Taco when it was time for my mom to replace her 07 Camry with over 250K miles, because the 05 Taco (with over 200K) was worth more on trade-in. So my dad drove the Camry for awhile while mom got a new Honda CRV. Then my dad decided to order the Colarado and have it built to his spec, and apparently was able to get more truck for the money than with a new Tacoma.

Back