Grinding Noise When Turning Left

salguod

Mr. T'bird
My daughter's 2003 Protege LX is making a grinding noise, like a plastic fender liner rubbing on a tire, but there's no evidence of that. It happens at pretty much any speed and gets louder the faster you go. It doesn't make the noise when turning right or going straight, but any slight turn of the wheel to the left and the noise starts.

Here's a video:

My thought was wheel bearing, but the sound does not match the sounds in other "bad wheel bearing" videos. However, after that short drive in the video, I placed my hand on each wheel center to check temperature and the LF was rather warm while the other three were cool to the touch.

CV joint boots are all fine, tie rod ends are tight. No shaking or vibrations except when the noise happens, you can feel that vibration in the wheel. Car runs and drives great otherwise.

Thoughts?

Good point, but the noise doesn't seem to support a bad CV. I'd expect a bad CV to make a clicking sound at full lock at low speeds. This sound isn't really noticeable until 20 MPH. Also, it happens when the wheel is moved even slightly off center where there would be hardly any change in the angle of the CV joint. Lastly, a bad CV would be worse under load (during acceleration). This doesn't change if I'm on the throttle or off.

I suppose I can't rule it out but it doesn't sound like a bad CV.

My vote for bad cv joint...

...but your wheel bearing test... Did you jack up the wheels and see if there's any play in any of the wheels?

Also, wheel bearings whine...not grind. Well, they grind right before the wheel exits the car.

Might be worth taking it to a shop...just for a diagnosis.

I'm thinking wheel bearing.

100% agree. Specially as the noise get's louder with speed, disappears when wheel is tuned in one direction, and centre of wheel is hotter than the other side.

Would be great if the OP would let us know what it was, but....., salgoud: Last Activity 06-03-2019 12:11 PM (huh)

Sorry for the late reply. I just got around to checking her car again. Jacked up each front corner and checked play on each wheel. RF was rick solid, LF had movement up / down and front / back. Definitely sounds like LF wheel bearing.

I generally do my own work, but I don't want to deal with pressing the bearing, so I've texted my mechanic for a price and when he can get it in.

Could it just be loose? Maybe try tightening the axle nut, that sometimes works don't know if it will work on the Protege though...

Could it just be loose? Maybe try tightening the axle nut, that sometimes works don't know if it will work on the Protege though...

I'm pretty sure that won't work with our car.
We have a one piece bearing that isn't really adjustable.
Even if you could tighten it, it's all battered now and would probably still make noise.

I generally do my own work, but I don't want to deal with pressing the bearing, so I've texted my mechanic for a price and when he can get it in.

If you feel comfortable with removing the knuckle yourself, you could take it and your new bearing to a machine shop and have the new bearing pressed in.

Bearings like to go out in pairs so you may want to consider doing the other side as well.

PS.. Don't forget to remove the big C-clip from the back of the bearing.

Last edited:
Back