Interior cabin rattling noise

SDL

:
2016 Mazda CX-9 GT
My warranty is coming up and I want to make sure to fix all the annoyances - wondering if anyone has experienced a rattling noise in the cabin towards the front/passenger side? The noise is more noticeable on an decline while driving, goes away for a bit but then comes back. It happens most of the time.

In the past I had a rattling noise coming from the steering wheel and they ended up replacing the airbag module which solved the issue. But that took me 2 years to find out. I have 1 month left on my warranty (3 years coming up).

I hate to say this, but I never expected the CX-9 to be this delicate. Seems like every time I drive over a manhole I have to be concern that something got loose. I already had two additional trips to the dealer besides the steering wheel. 1) arm joints and 2) bushing due to creaking sounds when going over bumps.

Any inputs are appreciate it. Of course, I empty the glove box, check seat bells, doors, everything I could - just can't find the source and it's hard while driving too.

Interior rattles are a bit of a pet peeve of mine. I'm glad my CX-9 has been solid. Maybe you can get a friend to ride in the passenger seat to help you further pinpoint where the sound is coming from?

Have you checked under the hood too? Maybe back the car up a slanted driveway, engage the parking brake and then check all of the plastic fasteners and bolts under the hood, near the windshield. Check lugnuts as well. Does the sound happen/get worse while braking? Or is it all the time? Maybe a fastener or something came loose in an enclosed area (headliner, door panel, a-pillar, windshield cowl).

Interior rattles are a bit of a pet peeve of mine. I'm glad my CX-9 has been solid. Maybe you can get a friend to ride in the passenger seat to help you further pinpoint where the sound is coming from?

Have you checked under the hood too? Maybe back the car up a slanted driveway, engage the parking brake and then check all of the plastic fasteners and bolts under the hood, near the windshield. Check lugnuts as well. Does the sound happen/get worse while braking? Or is it all the time? Maybe a fastener or something came loose in an enclosed area (headliner, door panel, a-pillar, windshield cowl).

It doesn't sound metallic...sounds like a plastic rattle. It happens while driving, haven't noticed while braking. It just started happening recently. I'm going to pop the hood and see what I can find. I'm giving myself two weeks to try and find it and I'm taking it to the dealer. Maybe if I bring the issue prior to the warranty expiring and it's documented, then it might be "covered" as a missed diagnosis or something after the warranty is over.

It doesn't sound metallic...sounds like a plastic rattle. It happens while driving, haven't noticed while braking. It just started happening recently. I'm going to pop the hood and see what I can find. I'm giving myself two weeks to try and find it and I'm taking it to the dealer. Maybe if I bring the issue prior to the warranty expiring and it's documented, then it might be "covered" as a missed diagnosis or something after the warranty is over.

I think that's how the dealer should handle these warranty claims. If nothing else, I would contact Mazda Corporate so that you have a documented active case that was opened before the warranty expired.

sm1ke you might be the man...pending additional testing LOL

I opened the hood and found this on the passenger side
sXp83rx.jpg

it was dangling, so I pushed it up to secure it. Not sure what it is and how it could be so loud that I could hear it inside the cabin while driving, but I took the car on a test drive on a road where I hear the noise all the time...no kids, no radio, No rattling! I'm going to give it a couple days and see - I thought about unsecuring it again to see if the noise would come back but ran out of time. Kids waking up from nap.
Thanks!

Does anyone have a rattle from the passenger side rear seat? I tried searching the forums, and mine doesn't have to do with the center arm rest or rubber weather strip on the doors/windows. It sounds metallic, and it only happens over certain bumpy roads.

sm1ke you might be the man...pending additional testing LOL

I opened the hood and found this on the passenger side
sXp83rx.jpg

it was dangling, so I pushed it up to secure it. Not sure what it is and how it could be so loud that I could hear it inside the cabin while driving, but I took the car on a test drive on a road where I hear the noise all the time...no kids, no radio, No rattling! I'm going to give it a couple days and see - I thought about unsecuring it again to see if the noise would come back but ran out of time. Kids waking up from nap.
Thanks!

Lol, don't thank me, thank the forum! The only reason I was able to suggest what I did is because I had read a couple of other threads in the CX-9 and CX-5 subforums that detailed various noise complaints. In those threads, other users had already done the legwork of pinpointing where the sounds were coming from. I just relayed the info (drinks)

Does anyone have a rattle from the passenger side rear seat? I tried searching the forums, and mine doesn't have to do with the center arm rest or rubber weather strip on the doors/windows. It sounds metallic, and it only happens over certain bumpy roads.

Do you have a car seat? In my CX-9, I thought I had a rattle in the 2nd row passenger area, where my car seat is attached. Turns out the rattle is coming from the leveling guide on the base of the car seat.

Also, if you look under the front passenger seat from the 2nd row, you'll see that there is no carpeting under the seat. Maybe a coin or pen or something fell into that area and is causing that noise.

I don't have a car seat, and I've looked under the front passenger seat very thoroughly in the past (dropped a few things down there).

It seems like it has to do with the rails for the rear passenger side seat, but since it's not that frequent, I kept forgetting to ask the dealership about it. And now my 3 year warranty is over.

Strange that it's a problem that no one has ever reported on, but I guess I'll see what the dealership says.

I don't have a car seat, and I've looked under the front passenger seat very thoroughly in the past (dropped a few things down there).

It seems like it has to do with the rails for the rear passenger side seat, but since it's not that frequent, I kept forgetting to ask the dealership about it. And now my 3 year warranty is over.

Strange that it's a problem that no one has ever reported on, but I guess I'll see what the dealership says.

I wonder if it might actually be in the seat. There's an open space by the seatbelt latch where small objects like coins or whatever could have fallen. Or maybe the rails just need to be greased/lubed up.

Well, thanks for relaying the info then! I would have never thought about checking under the hood. I haven't heard the noise again since securing that cable.

Well, thanks for relaying the info then! I would have never thought about checking under the hood. I haven't heard the noise again since securing that cable.

Nice! (drinks)

I'm getting the same rattling noise on my '18 cx5.
-> apparently from the 2nd row seat or even cargo area
-> comes and goes, and I'd say most of the time car is perfectly quiet, even over bumpy roads
-> sounds metallic (closest description is when the two metal pieces of a Truck Club steering wheel lock, left on the cabin floor, keep hitting each other during a rough ride)
-> already checked to make sure there're no tools or anything in the hidden compartments close to the subwoofer

The problem has been bothering me for a while.

My problem is solved. I took my CX-9 to Fremont Mazda, and their service director (Rami) had one of their master techs tackle the problem. The tech fixed it by lubing the parts underneath the seat. If your local dealership cant figure it out, then they should contact Rami. He was great.

Back