Few AA/Mazda Nav Questions

Hello Community, I have a few questions that I thought I'll post here and have your views on. Here's a little info to get started -
My car is a 2016 CX-5 touring and I have the AIO tweaks installed to use AA.

1. First of all, this is about AA (waze specifically). I don't like to occupy an AC vent for mounting the phone so I usually throw it in the cup holder. But when using Waze, the GPS signals bounces heavily and the phone struggles to get a stable GPS when kept in the cup holder. Has anyone had this issue while using Waze? If yes, where do you mount your phones? I know google maps uses the car GPS antenna when connected through AA but waze does not and hence it depends completely on the phone. Do I need to always provide a "clear sky" view to the phone to use waze?

2. Is there a powered USB hub that anyone uses so that I can use the front USB ports for AA and keep the phone charging as well? The stock USBs on 2016s are crap we all know!

3. What "route options" should I select in the official Mazda Nav so that it mimics the default route as shown on G maps. Say I want to navigate A to B and there are 3 options as shown on both G maps/ mazda nav. But Mazda nav shows a different route. Is there a particular option (shortest, fastest, easiest) that I shall be using in Mazda nav to "always" mimic the default G maps route.

4. From question 3, which map service does that official Mazda nav uses? Is it TomTom?

Thank you in advance for taking time to answer my questions. Cheers people!

I use official AA with no GPS issues with waze.

I disagree with the idea that the phone uses the gps antenna of the car. Others have said this before, but no one can provide factual evidence. Additionally there is no protocol i heard of that allows a gos radio to use a usb connection as an antenna lead. And if the gps radio in the car was an option for an app, then that radio would be selectable on the phone and require permissions to be connected.

I can*t explain why google nav gets gps signals in your car while waze doesn*t but maybe it is related to AIO implementation of AA?

dudemazda: As for how I dock my phone I had been using a mechanical dock with a USB cable to charge. But I recently switched to a wireless magnetic charger. I bought the phone case (has magnetic built into it) from the same company as well as they are designed to work together. I have a Note 9 and the phone has not come off yet. I put it in the lower left corner of the windshield and use a 2.4A charging cable. The ends have right angles. See below.

When the phone (in the case) gets close it sticks right to this dock. When you're ready to get out of the car it just takes a tug for it to release. I use a high speed charger that plugs into my center console so I picked up a 10' charging cable.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20190521_124958.jpg
    20190521_124958.jpg
    867 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:
dudemazda: As for how I dock my phone I had been using a mechanical dock with a USB cable to charge. But I recently switched to a wireless magnetic charger. I bought the phone case (has magnetic built into it) from the same company as well as they are designed to work together. I have a Note 9 and the phone has not come off yet. I put it in the lower left corner of the windshield and use a 2.4A charging cable. The ends have right angles. See below.

When the phone (in the case) gets close it sticks right to this dock. When you're ready to get out of the car it just takes a tug for it to release. I use a high speed charger that plugs into my center console so I picked up a 10' charging cable.

This is really cool. Which company is this? I might as well just buy something similar.

I use official AA with no GPS issues with waze.

I disagree with the idea that the phone uses the gps antenna of the car. Others have said this before, but no one can provide factual evidence. Additionally there is no protocol i heard of that allows a gos radio to use a usb connection as an antenna lead. And if the gps radio in the car was an option for an app, then that radio would be selectable on the phone and require permissions to be connected.

I can*t explain why google nav gets gps signals in your car while waze doesn*t but maybe it is related to AIO implementation of AA?

There was a big discussion about G maps able to leverage the car GPS antennae when using AA on google forums and people complaining on the official waze forum to implement a similar functionality. I didn't go in enough detail to see a factual evidence to be honest. That said, I agree that at the very least in the initial setup AA should definitely ask for a permission to use that.
Regarding, the waze GPS signal bouncing, that happens irrespective of the whether I am on AA or using waze directly. I always have to provide an unobstructed sky view to the phone (tried on different phones) i.e. it never behaves right if kept in the cup holder but works flawless when mounted on the windshield or the CD player.

BTW, any answer for 3?

Alphadog is right. All phones use the internal GPS of the phone for ACP and AA.
But it's certainly not an AIO issue either.
Waze works fine in my AIO hacked 16.5 GT without issue.

Re: 2. Only the official Mazda ones as far as I know.

Back