Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 49

Thread: Almost instant boot-up

  1. #31
    Registered Member


    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    38
    I updated my 2019 Signature today to the 335c update and wow.. what an improvement.

    Scrolling seems faster (might be a placebo), but the boot up is most definitely faster. Its almost instantaneous now, as the thread suggests.

    One thing to note - I don't know if it's just me or not, but the Mazda instructions on how to do this say to keep the CMU alive by setting a 20 minute timer and pressing the brakes.. but they don't tell you WHEN to start that timer. It's implied when you click the update button, but there's no specific instruction. That's when I set mine.

    My update got to 98% complete when I had 10 seconds left on my timer.. I went to press the brake, but the bloody CMU shut down at almost the same moment. I almost died..

    Thankfully, I turned ACC mode back on and the update was still at 98% and kept plugging along. It updated successfully and I verified everything was good.

    I STRONGLY suggest if anyone does this, make sure you set a timer for 15 minutes and press the brake at every 15 minute interval.

    I will note, the update only took about 30 minutes on my car.

    Thanks to everyone on here for their help!

  2. #32
    Registered Member

    19 CX-5 GTR White on White

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    5
    Sure your shutdown wasn*t the normal re-boot at the end of the update? I read somewhere hear the ACC timer is 25-30 minutes so 20 has cushion already. The car limits the time in ACC with no activity, to keep the battery from getting drained. What all constitutes activity I*m not sure. Brakes do for sure. So I pulsed the brake when the update started so I had a known start. The suggestion in the instructions is just a helpful hint for the user to set a timer of their own.

  3. #33
    Registered Member


    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by markwh2 View Post
    Sure your shutdown wasn*t the normal re-boot at the end of the update? I read somewhere hear the ACC timer is 25-30 minutes so 20 has cushion already. The car limits the time in ACC with no activity, to keep the battery from getting drained. What all constitutes activity I*m not sure. Brakes do for sure. So I pulsed the brake when the update started so I had a known start. The suggestion in the instructions is just a helpful hint for the user to set a timer of their own.
    No - the update was at 98% when the car shut off, and resumed to 100% once I turned ACC mode back on. The instructions I had do not say the system reboots or anything during the update process, so I doubt it was an update. The ACC mode turned off on teh Start/Stop button and the interior lights came on (as if I had turned off the car myself).

    Your idea of pulsing right at the beginning of the update is a great idea, so if anyone else goes to do this, I strongly suggest it. And, a timer for 15 minutes is good too. it won't hurt to do it earlier!

  4. #34
    Registered Member

    CX-5 Signature

    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    6
    I did the update on my 2019 Signature and am disappointed that I see no difference in boot up time or response time in general. This was the one complaint I had about the vehicle from day one and I was hoping this would improve things.

    Originally my system showed version 70.00.100 NA N and it now shows 70.00.335 NA N, so I assume everything went OK with the update. However, I do have one question. At the beginning on the Diagnostic test screen, where you are supposed to input 3, then select ENTER and CLEAR, and then 2, CLEAR and EXIT, do you need to wait for anything to complete before selecting ENTER and CLEAR and EXIT? When I did mine, I just did one after the other with no delay. Any insight would be appreciated.

  5. #35
    Registered Member

    2018 CX5 SE-L Nav+ 2WD 2.2D 150hp Auto

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Derby UK
    Posts
    412
    Yes, you did it correctly. I updated mine yesterday (EU version) so will be able to test on any faster boot time etc today.
    The internet is a huge dumpster, you have to search hard to find the gold nuggets

  6. #36
    Registered Member ceric's Avatar

    2017 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2016 Mazda6 iGT, 2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    4,320
    If your car is still within 3yr/36k warranty, and your dealer refused to update your firmware, just tell them you ran into all sort of glitches with it. They will do it. They can charge Mazda for the labor. Why not?
    Dealers are not authorized to update firmware w/o customers explicitly complaining about it. So, do complain....
    2016 Mazda6 iGT + Tech Pkg
    ....Sonic Silver Mica / Parchment
    2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback
    ....Soul Red Metallic / Almond

  7. #37
    Registered Member

    2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Belleair Beach, Florida
    Posts
    22
    Updated my 3 week old CX5 Sig this AM. Went from 70.00.100 NA N to 70.00.335 NA N. I can see why dealers don't want to do this for free since it ties-up a tech and bay for about an hour. They'd much rather be doing unnecessary oil changes (6 months regardless of miles? really???).

    What a kabuki dance with all that turn on/off ACC, three-finger button presses, lock & unlock doors, and tapping brakes on cue. Not really hard to do, but tedious. Makes my old hacked Pioneer head unit updates look easy.
    Last edited by St1ngy; 06-10-2019 at 10:59 AM.

  8. #38
    Registered Member


    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim M View Post
    I did the update on my 2019 Signature and am disappointed that I see no difference in boot up time or response time in general. This was the one complaint I had about the vehicle from day one and I was hoping this would improve things.

    Originally my system showed version 70.00.100 NA N and it now shows 70.00.335 NA N, so I assume everything went OK with the update. However, I do have one question. At the beginning on the Diagnostic test screen, where you are supposed to input 3, then select ENTER and CLEAR, and then 2, CLEAR and EXIT, do you need to wait for anything to complete before selecting ENTER and CLEAR and EXIT? When I did mine, I just did one after the other with no delay. Any insight would be appreciated.
    Jim I'm really sorry you didn't see any improvemet - I have a 19 sig and saw a massive improvement.. I was also on .100 version as well.

    My experience has greatly improved once I updated to .335.

  9. #39
    Registered Member


    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by St1ngy View Post
    Updated my 3 week old CX5 Sig this AM. Went from 70.00.100 NA N to 70.00.335 NA N. I can see why dealers don't want to do this for free since it ties-up a tech and bay for about an hour. They'd much rather be doing unnecessary oil changes (6 months regardless of miles? really???).

    What a kabuki dance with all that turn on/off ACC, three-finger button presses, lock & unlock doors, and tapping brakes on cue. Not really hard to do, but tedious. Makes my old hacked Pioneer head unit updates look easy.
    At least yours didn't turn off at 98% despite me setting a 20 minute alarm lmao. My car just.. shut off. I was sweating so hard and panicking on what to do next.

    Next time, I'll set a timer for 15 minutes like my gut told me to. lol

  10. #40
    Registered Member

    2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Belleair Beach, Florida
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by mac.mc78 View Post
    At least yours didn't turn off at 98% despite me setting a 20 minute alarm lmao. My car just.. shut off. I was sweating so hard and panicking on what to do next.

    Next time, I'll set a timer for 15 minutes like my gut told me to. lol
    I took the brake tap instruction to mean at least every 25 minutes. Meaning tap more frequently if you like, but never more than xx minutes between taps. Since my car was in a stuffy hot garage, I got out after the update started and watched TV. I didn't need a timer, just whenever I had TV commercial I'd go back back to monitor the progress and do the brake tap. BTW, IIRC, the progress bar screen said to tap every 20 minutes - or - open and close the driver's door. So I ended up doing both.

  11. #41
    Registered Member


    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by St1ngy View Post
    I took the brake tap instruction to mean at least every 25 minutes. Meaning tap more frequently if you like, but never more than xx minutes between taps. Since my car was in a stuffy hot garage, I got out after the update started and watched TV. I didn't need a timer, just whenever I had TV commercial I'd go back back to monitor the progress and do the brake tap. BTW, IIRC, the progress bar screen said to tap every 20 minutes - or - open and close the driver's door. So I ended up doing both.
    Yeah, someone else here suggested tapping the brake RIGHT at the beginning when the progress bar is at 1%. That made sense. Tap it there, and then set a timer for 20 minutes. I'll do 15 like I originally set myself up to do, but then second guessed.

    I'm lucky it didn't cause any major issues. Thank goodness!

  12. #42
    Registered Member

    2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Belleair Beach, Florida
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by mac.mc78 View Post
    Yeah, someone else here suggested tapping the brake RIGHT at the beginning when the progress bar is at 1%. That made sense. Tap it there, and then set a timer for 20 minutes.
    It's in the pdf (MAZDA FIRMWARE UPDATE PROCEDURE WORLDWIDE) page 7:
    Reinstall.jpg

  13. #43
    Registered Member


    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by St1ngy View Post
    It's in the pdf (MAZDA FIRMWARE UPDATE PROCEDURE WORLDWIDE) page 7:
    Reinstall.jpg
    By golly it is.. LOL.

    I even remmeber seeing that diagram.

    What a tool I am - I did everything else right, checked off step by step what I was doing, checked the USB stick for corruption, checked the Hash of the update file, did it all right, and missed that one bloody step lol.

    Thanks!

  14. #44
    Registered Member

    2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Belleair Beach, Florida
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by mac.mc78 View Post
    By golly it is.. LOL.

    I even remmeber seeing that diagram.

    What a tool I am - I did everything else right, checked off step by step what I was doing, checked the USB stick for corruption, checked the Hash of the update file, did it all right, and missed that one bloody step lol.

    Thanks!
    No biggie. It seems to of worked regardless. I think the impact might depend on exactly what was happening at the moment it shut-down. It is still possible that a buffer write failed (or was corrupted), but it wasn't in a critical component. If you start noticing odd problems, you could try re-installing .335. That's assuming it will allow you overwrite with the same version number.

  15. #45
    Registered Member

    2019 CX-5 Signature (previously 2016 CX-5 GT)

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Broward County, Florida USA
    Posts
    255
    Just a quick post to re-confirm after a long road trip this past weekend that my upgrade from .100 to .335 definitely made major improvements to the responsiveness, including the initial start up time, and better remembering what last source was selected.

    The only quirk I continue to see, and possibly nothing to do with the actual Connect firmware, is that sometimes the 360 view cameras stay on after I am already driving....makes for a rather trippy experience , but I know now to hit the music button to have the system switch over.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-02-2013, 07:07 PM
  2. FS:redline shift boot, awr engine mount, twm boot
    By markspd6 in forum Completed Transactions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-08-2009, 05:29 AM
  3. Instant Karma
    By SpicyMchaggis in forum Pics & Builds
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-05-2003, 11:58 AM
  4. aol instant messenger
    By soundbombing in forum Lounge
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-28-2003, 08:00 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •