This really chaps my hide

ColoradoDriver

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD - 132k miles
Contributor
:
Denver, CO
I've now been hit in my CX-5 by 2 people with either bald tires or inadequate tires for the weather, and both hits are directly attributable to the tires and their inability to stop in rain or snow.

I just pulled up into a parking lot right next to an SUV, and look at this crap.

Just another example of another driver who doesn't care, or is blissfully unaware, never bothering to check common things like tires periodically. Likely underinflated with that kind of wear.
4186132eaaffa3713e003da63e849b7e.jpg

Last edited:
I was hit just two months ago by a driver with bald tires too. The ground was wet, but the sky was sunny (oh, CA weather, how nice you are...).

On the bright side, that's the crash that got me to purchase a CX-5!

I've now been hit in my CX-5 by 2 people with either bald tires or inadequate tires for the weather, and both hits are directly attributable to the tires and their inability to stop in rain or snow.

I just pulled up into a parking lot right next to an SUV, and look at this crap.

Just another example of another driver who doesn't care, or is blissfully unaware, never bothering to check common things like tires periodically. Likely underinflated with that kind of wear.
4186132eaaffa3713e003da63e849b7e.jpg
Well, sometimes even if you use factory recommended tire pressure you would get the tire wear result like this. From my experience factory recommended tire pressure often a bit too low, especially when car manufactures are using one psi for all driving conditions in the US, whereas they recommend different psi's for different load and speed in all other regions. Firestone tires on Ford Explorer is a perfect example that the factory recommended tire pressure is too low. General AltiMAX RT43 tires on my 1998 Honda CR-V have to use at least 35 psi for even wear although the factory recommended tire pressure is 26 psi. I use 39~40 psi on my CX-5 for even wear too. One of the problem is people drive up to the tire store to check tire pressure with warm or hot tires. The tire pressure would be too low when tires get cold if they measure the pressure based on recommended tire pressure which is supposed to be cold pressure.

Well, sometimes even if you use factory recommended tire pressure you would get the tire wear result like this. From my experience factory recommended tire pressure often a bit too low, especially when car manufactures are using one psi for all driving conditions in the US, whereas they recommend different psi's for different load and speed in all other regions. Firestone tires on Ford Explorer is a perfect example that the factory recommended tire pressure is too low. General AltiMAX* RT43 tires on my 1998 Honda CR-V have to use at least 35 psi for even wear although the factory recommended tire pressure is 26 psi. I use 39~40 psi on my CX-5 for even wear too. One of the problem is people drive up to the tire store to check tire pressure with warm or hot tires. The tire pressure would be too low when tires get cold if they measure the pressure based on recommended tire pressure which is supposed to be cold pressure.

I get that. I am more commenting that the owner likely hasn't even noticed the state of their tires and likely won't.

And since I made this post, we went for a nice lunch out of the house and I saw another SUV parked who had damn near almost completely bald Michelin Premier LTX tires.

Considering this is starting to be the hail and rain season, let's just say I am going to try not to drive when it's raining out!

I flagged down a police car who had a tire so bald the steel belts were showing. I would have considered it to dangerous to drive on let alone chase someone. He told me it was not illegal for a police car and drove off.

Not stating any conclusions,

So don't your states have mandatory vehicle inspections? (Yes, I know, adults should be, well...adult).

I've been driving in Virginia since 1970, and we've had them predating that. Used to be every 6 months, then changed to annual. Emissions Inspections are bi-annual. They are done by independent State licensed inspection stations...usually one of the services offered by most repair shops (generates repair revenue for them).

I don't believe the neighboring state of Maryland has any...they never used to. And you could tell by the crap driving around with MD tags, leaving a trail of parts & rust in their wake.

DC has them, and they have government facilities do the inspections.

Part of me resents the intrusion, while the other part of me likes the nanny state being pointed at those who actually require a nanny...and from whom I am at risk.

Last edited:
So don't your states have mandatory vehicle inspections? (Yes, I know, adults should be, well...adult).

I've been driving in Virginia since 1970, and we've had them predating that. Used to be every 6 months, then changed to annual. Emissions Inspections are bi-annual. They are done by independent State licensed inspection stations...usually one of the services offered by most repair shops (generates repair revenue for them).

I don't believe the neighboring state of Maryland has any...they never used to. And you could tell by the crap driving around with MD tags, leaving a trail of parts & rust in their wake.

DC has them, and they have government facilities do the inspections.

Part of me resents the intrusion, while the other part of me likes the nanny state being pointed at those who actually require a nanny...and from whom I am at risk.

State inspections, Ha! FL has none and youd be shocked by the condition of some of the vehicles. People driving around with burnt out headlights and taillights, rusted out cars, broken windows, and I even saw a car with a wheel that was missing so many lugnuts it was wobbling side to side down the road.

I had a friend buy a car from another friend with the tires in this condition and he was driving around on it until I saw them and told him about it.

https://i.imgur.com/a72IQx0.jpg

State inspections, Ha! FL has none and you*d be shocked by the condition of some of the vehicles. People driving around with burnt out headlights and taillights, rusted out cars, broken windows, and I even saw a car with a wheel that was missing so many lugnuts it was wobbling side to side down the road.

I had a friend buy a car from another friend with the tires in this condition and he was driving around on it until I saw them and told him about it.

https://i.imgur.com/a72IQx0.jpg

That tire is (omg).

I can imagine the condition of vehicles in a state that is nothing more than one large peninsula jutting into the ocean. Salted road during the winter are bad enough. Bathing in salt air 7x24x365 is some sort of twisted torture test.

Back in the day (before Federal tax dollar riches flowed in) I used to hate driving in/through Maryland (or driving near a car with Maryland tags) because of the condition of the vehicles. It was genuinely frightening.

But even with the cosmetically nicer cars that high salaries bring, I have no confidence that they all have safe tires or reasonably functioning brakes. Money does not always bring common sense with it.

Last edited:
Yeah could be that.

Anyway, I had to go out to the store yesterday after work to pick up some ingredients. Saw another bald tire car! Gah!!!

The guy in your rearview mirror might be driving on tires like that.
Or his calipers might be digging into his rotors.
Or he's about ready to hit that next level on Candy Crush.

You just hope they have insurance...

The guy in your rearview mirror might be driving on tires like that.
Or his calipers might be digging into his rotors.
Or he's about ready to hit that next level on Candy Crush.

You just hope they have insurance...
Yep pretty much.

You can't really tell what condition it is without seeing the other side of the tire. That tire might actually pass SI in Pa. if it is at least 2/32 tread depth.

You can't really tell what condition it is without seeing the other side of the tire. That tire might actually pass SI in Pa. if it is at least 2/32 tread depth.

Both the inside and outside edges were like that.

What wasn't pictured are the 2 other vehicles I saw yesterday with completely bald tires!

I guess I'm just becoming extra sensitive about tires. When I got rear ended in 2015, it was a 16 year old kid driving a truck with completely bald tires. It was raining and he couldn't stop and slammed into me. He then proceeded to state that that was the second time that happened...Like seriously????

Then when I got clipped earlier this year it was another car with bad tires for the snow and couldn't stop.

The biggest difference is the ones of us on the forums are the ones who care about their cars. The best things I did for my Miata was add a 3rd brake light flasher and led bulb from superbrightleds, less than $10, also on Amazon. Splice the positive wire, run a ground and apply doubled sided tape. It definitely gets the drivers attention behind you, they back off when it flashes ( flashes 4 fast, 4 slow, then solid red). I will put that only my list for the CX-5. Sorry to hear about your misfortune due to the negligence of others.

The biggest difference is the ones of us on the forums are the ones who care about their cars. The best things I did for my Miata was add a 3rd brake light flasher and led bulb from superbrightleds, less than $10, also on Amazon. Splice the positive wire, run a ground and apply doubled sided tape. It definitely gets the drivers attention behind you, they back off when it flashes ( flashes 4 fast, 4 slow, then solid red). I will put that only my list for the CX-5. Sorry to hear about your misfortune due to the negligence of others.

You got pics or a link for that?

I'm all for getting the attention of the guy behind me.

Back