This really chaps my hide

He then proceeded to state that that was the second time that happened...Like seriously????

That's grossly unacceptable.

Sadly, I bet if you met the parents, you would understand why the kid is that way. Who lets a 16 year old get back behind the wheel at all, let alone in a vehicle known to still be unsafe.

By the way, if you happen to run across a driver of a vehicle with worn-out tires, you might want to let him or her know. As was mentioned, many people are clueless. You may be able to save an injury or life of another person or your own.

By the way, if you happen to run across a driver of a vehicle with worn-out tires, you might want to let him or her know. As was mentioned, many people are clueless. You may be able to save an injury or life of another person or your own.

That's interesting, I always try to tell someone when they have a light out (headlight, brake light, turn signal) but would never think to tell them they needed new tires. Maybe because one is pocket change and they likely are unaware of it, and the other seems quite apparent and might exist because of their financial state. One feels like a courtesy and the other feels intrusive.

I guess it would depend on the circumstances.

You got pics or a link for that?

I'm all for getting the attention of the guy behind me.

Check with Virginia State Law before installing, I believe they are illegal in some states, maybe even mine lol, I am not responsible (five-0)

Here's the link, I have model LSC-100A in my Miata. https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/strobe-controllers/

If you ever want to tell someone about their tires without being intrusive, just say, Hey, I just happen to notice, were you aware your back tire looks a little worn ?

Not arguing the whole bald tire is dangerous thing, but sometimes not knowing the person or their situation, and making assumptions can be dangerous as well.
Not everybody has $1,000 or more kicking around to go and buy new tires when some stranger tells them they're needed.
Not everyone with worn tires is an idiot or a bad person.
Personally, I've bought used tires on kijiji on more than one occasion, simply because it saved me money.
In fact, the snow tires I put on my new Mazda last year were used as well. I'm not poor, but new tires are bloody expensive.

Check with Virginia State Law before installing, I believe they are illegal in some states, maybe even mine lol, I am not responsible (five-0)

Here's the link, I have model LSC-100A in my Miata. https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/strobe-controllers/

If you ever want to tell someone about their tires without being intrusive, just say, Hey, I just happen to notice, were you aware your back tire looks a little worn ?

Yeh, I was gonna put that admonition in my request to you. Thanks for the link, and for the advice on how to be unoffensive while being helpful ;)

Did you say you added an additional brake light?

Not arguing the whole bald tire is dangerous thing, but sometimes not knowing the person or their situation, and making assumptions can be dangerous as well.
Not everybody has $1,000 or more kicking around to go and buy new tires when some stranger tells them they're needed.
Not everyone with worn tires is an idiot or a bad person.
Personally, I've bought used tires on kijiji on more than one occasion, simply because it saved me money.
In fact, the snow tires I put on my new Mazda last year were used as well. I'm not poor, but new tires are bloody expensive.
I was just going to say, I get it. I've been a broke teenager. That said used tires are an option and tread is better than bald.

And really tire negligence doesn't just put you at risk, but also endangers those around you.

I installed something similar on both of my motorcycles. Very effective at getting people to look up from their phones long enough to avoid rear ending me, certainly much better than a standard brake light. I really need to figure out installing one into the high-level brake light on my CX-5.

Last edited:
That's interesting, I always try to tell someone when they have a light out (headlight, brake light, turn signal) but would never think to tell them they needed new tires. Maybe because one is pocket change and they likely are unaware of it, and the other seems quite apparent and might exist because of their financial state. One feels like a courtesy and the other feels intrusive.

I guess it would depend on the circumstances.
I'm one to mention bad tires to someone, and they're usually surprised and grateful for the heads up, it's better that you point it out than some one getting in a catastrophic accident.

I'm one to mention bad tires to someone, and they're usually surprised and grateful for the heads up, it's better that you point it out than some one getting in a catastrophic accident.
Agreed. Of I have the opportunity to I do as well.

Agreed. Of I have the opportunity to I do as well.

Maybe my living in a state that has annual safety inspections hasn't given me many opportunities to have this conversation. As I mentioned before, those inspections used to be twice a year before the law got changed. That doesn't really leave much of a window between "barely passed" and "undriveable." Heck, I've even been pulled over for a roadside ad-hoc inspection, even those my inspection sticker was current.

Maybe my living in a state that has annual safety inspections hasn't given me many opportunities to have this conversation. As I mentioned before, those inspections used to be twice a year before the law got changed. That doesn't really leave much of a window between "barely passed" and "undriveable." Heck, I've even been pulled over for a roadside ad-hoc inspection, even those my inspection sticker was current.

Same in Pa., used to be twice a year, now annually, but they kept the specs the same for passing. There's no way a tire or brake pads at 2/32inch is going to last a year except if you don't drive.

Same in Pa., used to be twice a year, now annually, but they kept the specs the same for passing. There's no way a tire or brake pads at 2/32inch is going to last a year except if you don't drive.

I just pulled up the state inspection manual. It's the same requirement in Virginia...2/32 inch for brake pads and tread.

Unless it is a Cop. see earlier post.

Installed my 3rd Brake light flasher, works great. Used male/female "enclosed" spade connectors so I could undo easily. No need to even disconnect the battery, take off upper rear cover inside rear hatch, just pulls off from the sides first, disconnect connector going to the light. Green is positive, white is ground. Didn't need to cut the ground wire as Mazda has supplied a ground point to the right of the connector, you will see an empty threaded hole with 4 little raised points around the outside. I wish I had taken pictures, but I forgot.

State inspections, Ha! FL has none and youd be shocked by the condition of some of the vehicles. People driving around with burnt out headlights and taillights, rusted out cars, broken windows, and I even saw a car with a wheel that was missing so many lugnuts it was wobbling side to side down the road.

I had a friend buy a car from another friend with the tires in this condition and he was driving around on it until I saw them and told him about it.

https://i.imgur.com/a72IQx0.jpg

As a Canadian, who visits Florida regularly, I am LITERALLY blown away by the # of people I pull up next to at a light or in a parking lot who LITERALLY have NO tread on their tires at all. Like, NONE. You couldn't put a PEBBLE between the treads because there AREN'T ANY.

It literally blows my mind.

As a Canadian, who visits Florida regularly, I am LITERALLY blown away by the # of people I pull up next to at a light or in a parking lot who LITERALLY have NO tread on their tires at all. Like, NONE. You couldn't put a PEBBLE between the treads because there AREN'T ANY.

When was the last time you've looked around in Canada?

Here in QC it used to be that most idiots were driving on next-to-bold 4-season tires all year round. Then - around 2009 somebody had a bright idea to make winter tires mandatory December to March. The only thing that changed - now most idiots ride on next-to-bold winter tires all year round. There's a dude living on a street next to mine - he drives a Mazda 3 on studded tires - year around.

The problem isn't with tires. But with idiots.

Last edited:
When was the last time you've looked around in Canada?

...There's a dude living on a street next to mine - he drives a Mazda 3 on studded tires - year around.

The problem isn't with tires. But with idiots.

This guy?

If the tires are that bad, imagine what the brakes must be like!

Back