Need help diagnosing engine problem

johndias831

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5, Mazdaspeed Swapped
Hi guys,
I've swapped a Mazdaspeed Protege engine that I completely re-built with the help of an experienced engine builder into my P5. Upon starting the motor for the first time after the rebuild I was very distraught to hear a horrible rattling/knocking coming from under the hood. My valves were also noisy AF, I'm looking to the forums to try and find some answers to as why my engine is making this sound. Here's a video that I made to highlight the problem. It is posted in a link below. Let me know if you have questions there's a lot up in the air.
Thanks everyone,

John

(confused)

I can't tell if you've got the accessory belts on or not from the video. First, take off the PS and AC belt and start the engine. If the noise doesn't go away take the WP and alternator belt off next. If the noise is still there take the upper and lower timing covers off and check your timing marks and the timing tensioner.

Also, check if you upper and lower timing cover is rubbing against your WP pulley.

does the noise ever go away when the car is fully warmed up?

Wow so I haven't been on this site for a long time. Came here to look up this exact issue I am having with my MSP. So I have had mine in storage for 2 years now. Finally decided to get it out yesterday. Car overheated so I pulled it over right away and shut it off. I let the car cool down and headed straight home. Turns out the thermostat was stuck so I replaced it last night took her for a rip and she was running really good with no issues anywhere including no more heating issues. This morning I get in to leave for work and the car fired right up and about 5 seconds it seemed like it lost a cylinder so I popped the hood and heard some pretty loud ticking coming from valve cover area. I didn't have time to mess with it so I will check it out when I get home. I have no clue what went wrong. Oil looked good it was a little low but not to bad. I'm really hoping it isn't something to series.

Wow so I haven't been on this site for a long time. Came here to look up this exact issue I am having with my MSP. So I have had mine in storage for 2 years now. Finally decided to get it out yesterday. Car overheated so I pulled it over right away and shut it off. I let the car cool down and headed straight home. Turns out the thermostat was stuck so I replaced it last night took her for a rip and she was running really good with no issues anywhere including no more heating issues. This morning I get in to leave for work and the car fired right up and about 5 seconds it seemed like it lost a cylinder so I popped the hood and heard some pretty loud ticking coming from valve cover area. I didn't have time to mess with it so I will check it out when I get home. I have no clue what went wrong. Oil looked good it was a little low but not to bad. I'm really hoping it isn't something to series.

I hope you get your car running good man! I actually fixed my issue by removing the power steering and AC belt, my AC bearing was going out and it was making that horrible rattle. Let me know what ends up happening with your car I'm really curious. Thanks for the reply everyone I think I got the car running good.

well damn, thank goodness it wasn't anything engine related. i've heard of false knock on built engines on cold starts but that sounded mad haha

I hope you get your car running good man! I actually fixed my issue by removing the power steering and AC belt, my AC bearing was going out and it was making that horrible rattle. Let me know what ends up happening with your car I'm really curious. Thanks for the reply everyone I think I got the car running good.

Good deal, thanks for reporting back saying you got it sorted!

Back