2013~2016 CX5 Issue with front power seat

Yellow_M3

Hi everyone,

I'm having an issue with the power seat of my 2014 Mazda CX5 I was hoping someone here might be able to help me with. About 2 weeks ago, I noticed that the seat on the left track doesn't move forward. On the right track, it seems to be fine (so actually what ends up happening is when you use the power control to move the seat forward, it ends up tilting to the left because it won't slide along the L track). Seat moves back without a problem.

I took a look under the tracks but cannot visibly see anything blocking it (but I presume I will need to actually take off the seat to get a good view). This is really the only thing I can think of that would cause these symptoms. If the motor cable or motor were bad, I wouldn't expect the seat to move at all. My questions are the following:

1) Does anyone have a link to the service manual of the car that can tell me how/what tools I need to remove the seat and take a better look at things?

2) Is there something specific I should be looking for here that I haven't considered that might explain what's going on?

3) If I am unable to find a cause for what's going on, is there a way I can manually move the seat up and bypass the powerseat function?

Thanks in advance

You should be able to see the complete track when viewed from the back seat. I suspect something like the carpet or ? is causing the problem. Ed

Any luck? I'm having these same prob. May need a new seat track install. Looks expensive, part #
KF6988AF0A

There are a pair of drive cables that move the seat back and forth, I suspect one is either broken or detached. The attached service bulletin might help. Removing the seat is just 4 bolts but you might struggle a bit because ordinarily you would slide the seat back and forth to fully expose them.

The bulletin is for noisy cables but it shows you how to work on them. The part numbers for the cable kit is included. Before detaching the wiring plug, make sure the ignition is off as there is an airbag inside the seat.

Attachments

• Excessive seat noise when sliding.pdf
    591.3 KB · Views: 884
Last edited:
There are a pair of drive cables that move the seat back and forth, I suspect one is either broken or detached. The attached service bulletin might help. Removing the seat is just 4 bolts but you might struggle a bit because ordinarily you would slide the seat back and forth to fully expose them.

The bulletin is for noisy cables but it shows you how to work on them. The part numbers for the cable kit is included. Before detaching the wiring plug, make sure the ignition is off as there is an airbag inside the seat.

I picked up a $20 " mazda CX-5 seat motor drive shaft cable rod 2" stainless" on EBay. I had to cut off 1/4" w/ a Harb Frt electric cut off tool. It took a good bit of giggling to fit but it works, tho a bit noisy. Plan B would be to pick up a used seat track from a bone yard, $150 + shipping. Most yards are tied to the nationwide used parts finder.
The motor drive problem should b a recall item since it is has a buletin published and could impact safety.
Also, great advice from previous thread to kill battery to avoid airbag deployment.. And, youtube was great to show how to unhook the electrical harness under the seat. Best.of luck.

Back