2019 CX-9 interior lighting is way too harsh...How can I change it?

:
2019 Mazda CX-9 Signature
I just picked up the 2019 CX-9 today with the signature package. The LED interior lighting on the overhead is way too blue and harsh. How can this be modded to make it more warm. It hard for me to see when the lights are on. Gives me wierd vision

Thanks!

There is a brightness setting for it. I haven't looked into changing the LED itself (if it can even be changed easily) but a cheap and easy "fix" would be to install yellow clear vinyl on top of it.

There is a brightness setting for it. I haven't looked into changing the LED itself (if it can even be changed easily) but a cheap and easy "fix" would be to install yellow clear vinyl on top of it.

Great idea. Thanks I'll look around for yellow tint film. When googling, I found gel films that photographers use to change the colors of light. I'll check that out at the photography store too.

Thanks for the advice!

You can turn it off completely in the settings until you get the light color changed. I just used some cheap ($5 CAD) eBay yellow tint to change the color of my LED foglights for the winter. You could do the same for the overhead LED in the cabin.

You can turn it off completely in the settings until you get the light color changed. I just used some cheap ($5 CAD) eBay yellow tint to change the color of my LED foglights for the winter. You could do the same for the overhead LED in the cabin.

It's not the little accent light I'm worried about Haha. It's the map lights or dome lights. It's so harsh lol. I'm going to try a few tints and gel light correction films. I'll post up the results.

Those interior lights are all DE3021 type bulbs. You can replace those bulbs with a warmer white LED, a colored version, or even an incandescent version like the one in the cargo area.

Those interior lights are all DE3021 type bulbs. You can replace those bulbs with a warmer white LED, a colored version, or even an incandescent version like the one in the cargo area.
Are you sure? I doesnt look like I can remove the light cover to replace the bulbs. They look like LED.

Oh haha I thought you were talking about the accent light. Then yes chloeko is correct, those are standard bulbs and you can just replace them.

My gripe is with the overhead accent light that stays on at all times - too bright at night! At least the map/door light you only use rarely when you need it. For the time being I covered the accent light with a small piece of electrical tape.

So I took a picture of the overhead map lights. How do I pry the lens open to change the bulb? It looks like its permanent.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190529-190950_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190529-190950_Gallery.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 2,318
Interesting. It looks like there are two different overhead consoles for 2019 models, Type A and Type B.

Trixstar's (Type A)
attachment.php

Mine, a 2018 Signature (Type B)
attachment.php

I think I prefer the look of the 2019 over the 2018, so nice job Mazda. Unfortunately it looks like the Type A console has integrated LEDs instead of LED bulbs. Here's what the manual says:

"The LED bulb cannot be replaced as a single unit because it is an integrated unit.
The LED bulb has to be replaced with the unit. We recommend an Authorised Mazda Repairer when the replacement is necessary."

Attachments

• IMG_20190530_091910.jpg
    IMG_20190530_091910.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 2,236
Last edited:
Well to each his own....I'm happy I have the 2018 lights - where in the dark I can press anywhere on that big light itself to turn it on or off.

The "improved" 2019 has tiny buttons you need to feel around for.... seems like a great step backwards to me.

Trixstar, did you ever solve this issue? Since the bulbs can't be replaced, I would have tried applying a layer or two of yellow tint, then applying a layer of "smoke" tint to cut down on the brightness.

Hey guys, does anyone know if the door ambient lighting can be changed out? It’s an amber color and I’m wanting to change it to white.

Back