Annoying dash board rattling (2018 CX-5)

:
Mazda
The car is a 2018 Sport with 5500 or so miles on it. The driver side of the dash rattles when driving over rough pavement and braking. The issue doesn't occur constantly but a majority of the time since maybe 1000 miles or so in. I made an appointment to get this figured out. Do you guys have the same problem and what advice can you give for me to tell the service guy? My brother's 2016 CX-5 has over 20,000 miles and doesn't rattle at all.

Thanks in advance.

Check the sunglasses compartment. Try to take out the sunglasses and see if it works.

+1 Once took my then-new '13 CX-5 in for a dash rattle ... only to have the service manager open the overhead storage door during the test drive ... and remove the loose spare pair of sunglasses.
The "dash rattle" immediately disappeared never to reappear. (bang)
I now wrap my spare sunglasses in a small microfiber cloth before storing them in the overhead ... and no rattles for me.

Thanks guys. I don't have sunglasses and I don't feel comfortable prying apart the dash. I feel like the noise is coming from the piece of dash on top of the instrument panel.

Update:
I dropped my car off before work hoping the dealership would discover and repair the rattle. Instead, they gave it a loaner car and told me to return it later that day. Sweet! The tech was able to conduct some road test and was able to diagnose the issue. It turned out the clear plastic portion of the instrument panel was loose or something and would rattle under certain road conditions and braking. The fix required disassembling the dash and applied "felt tape to all contact points between the lens and cluster." The noise is gone and all is quiet again.

Kind of off topic:
I received a 2018 3 auto GT hatch in Snowflake as my loaner vehicle. Compared to the CX-5 sport, I noticed some differences in driving dynamics. The hatch felt more planted to the group and would hug turns faster and tighter than the crossover. The steering was sharper and more precise. Acceleration between the two wasn't night and day but I did notice the difference. The hatch would cruise at 5th gear no problem when speeding up while the crossover felt sluggish and would downshift. The other amenities of sunroof, Bose, HUD, heated leather seats, auto climate control and XM radio were nice to have. It makes me wish I had splurged for the GT version of the CX-5 but I don't really need it. Having no car payments is satisfying enough for me.

Last edited:
The car is a 2018 Sport with 5500 or so miles on it. The driver side of the dash rattles when driving over rough pavement and braking. The issue doesn't occur constantly but a majority of the time since maybe 1000 miles or so in. I made an appointment to get this figured out. Do you guys have the same problem and what advice can you give for me to tell the service guy? My brother's 2016 CX-5 has over 20,000 miles and doesn't rattle at all.

Thanks in advance.
Had similar rattle in mine. The A-Pillar was rubbing against the top of the dashboard and made a noise when I drove over pot holes or rough pavement.
Took the A-Pillar cover off and put felt tape over the areas where it was rubbing.
Problem solved. No more squeaks or rattles.

Back