Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To anyone considering lowering springs

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 GT

So, this weekend I installed the Eibach springs on my 2017 GT myself. I've never replaced springs before, and the fronts were a bit of a challenge (and nerves) dealing with the spring compressor. It was without a doubt the biggest "job" I've ever done on a vehicle. Took me about 5 hours on one side, about 3.5 on the other (no rush, took my time). Tough part was dealing with rusted/frozen bolts. The real "trick" for a first timer like me was having clear instructions, which I was able to download from the CorkSport website. Instructions were perfect, had pictures, and contained all the torque specs. I had to rent (free) the spring compressor and torque wrench from AutoZone. Car rides great, looks great, and I'll post a pic later this week once I get it washed. I have an appt. at the Mazda dealer on Wednesday to have the alignment checked. It looks like there's more negative camber on the rears. I don't believe the rears allow for camber adjustment - can someone please confirm? I found a company (on eBay) called Godspeed that sells rear camber adjustment arms for ~$150. I'll have to ask the Mazda tech what he thinks about whether or not it they're necessary. It appears from what I've read on this website that some of you have not bothered with an alignment, and that some of you have had an alignment performed.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring

Ask that question, before they make the alignment.
    Also, it is recommended to drive it a while, to let them settle a bit, before you make an alignment. ~1000 miles.
    I have made my own lateral links, adjustable. I like to be unique

Registered Member

It's amazing that there are 2 completely different takes on springs settling and waiting for an alignment. Talked to one performance shop and they laughed when I asked about them Installing and then coming back for an alignment. They said you don't need to wait. He said quality springs don't settle to any noticable extent. Asked another shop and they said yaaaa sure drive it a few days and come back for an alignment let them settle. Wtf? I plan to have them installed and the car aligned same day. On my mustang I did the same thing and had no issues. But to be honest, I wonder what the real truth is

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by csjames1971 View Post
    It's amazing that there are 2 completely different takes on springs settling and waiting for an alignment. Talked to one performance shop and they laughed when I asked about them Installing and then coming back for an alignment. They said you don't need to wait. He said quality springs don't settle to any noticable extent. Asked another shop and they said yaaaa sure drive it a few days and come back for an alignment let them settle. Wtf? I plan to have them installed and the car aligned same day. On my mustang I did the same thing and had no issues. But to be honest, I wonder what the real truth is
    I think a drive around the block would take care or any “settling”. I didn’t wait when I did my 3.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring

Most likely they say that, to take your money on the spot. If you drive away, you may not go back there.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by csjames1971 View Post
    Benny Hill told me my z06 would settle half an inch or so in the few thousand miles after I took delivery, while I was at the plant. I figure he knew what he was about. The cx5 uses a different suspension of course, but its food for thought.

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by JT2 View Post
    I think a drive around the block would take care or any *settling*. I didn*t wait when I did my 3.
    I think I'd agree. Drive around the block a few times and get it aligned. Never experienced any "settling" when I put Eibach Pro Kit springs on my Accord. No settling when I later upgraded to custom built coilovers with Swift springs. No settling with BC Racing coilovers (Swift springs) on my IS250 either.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jdqdang View Post
    I'm on bc racing and a happy camper!

Attachment 220940
    very nice looking. do you have the awd version? do you mind telling me where you got the bc coilover from?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12