2017~2024 Getting a new remote from a Mazda 3 2019?

Hey there everyone,
I have recently lost my Mazda CX-5 2019 Remote, the part which detaches from the key. I still have the key, but the remote that is normally connected to the key I have now lost. My friend, who drives a Mazda 3 2019, has offered to give me his spare remote if I was able to reprogram it to work for my car instead. Is that possible? I am currently using my spare key in order to still drive my CX-5, but my friend is quite willing to give me his spare if I can reprogram it.

Any thoughts?

Not sure what region you might live in, but: there is sometimes exact same remote overlap between same-era Mazda vehicles, but not always. Also, sometimes different Mazda remotes may work or partially work with other vehicles. Then there's also the potential button differences. Also, isn't the remote for the 2019 3 that new completely different fob design? I think it is a rounded rectangular shape with the buttons on the side instead of the face. All that would make me very cautious about trying to use a non-identical fob. I'm sure that the dealer would tell you it wouldn't work if you tried to have them program an incompatible fob for your vehicle.

A more expensive solution, but I'd suggest that you just bite the bullet and get a replacement identical part # fob from a reputable source. Do you still have your secondary fob & key? If so, remove the key and look at the (tiny!) printing under it on the fob key slot for the part #s. Looks like my fob for my US 2019 vehicle is Mazda Part # TKY2-67-5DY /General Remote # WAZSKE13D02. While it will cost you money upfront, having two fobs also is a positive when you sell or trade in the car, and of course adds peace of mind for another way to get in the vehicle if necessary.

Oh, and regardless of the sourcing of the fob, I believe programming now always requires the dealer to do it (no user workaround) so there's another potential cost. If you do end up buying a new identical fob, I'd suggest purchasing it from your or a dealer and see if they will then program it for free, perhaps on your next routine visit or if you have other things to address. The fob will cost more from the dealer, but I've seen some pretty outrageous quotes for programming when the fob isn't purchased from that dealer, so it may save you some money in total if you do buy it from them. You could also call and ask them what that cost may be versus just having a remote you purchased elsewhere programmed.

Last edited:
Back