2013~2016 On the fence... 2016 rav4 vs cx-5.

:
2016 CX-5 GT
Been lurking here for a while now. I'm looking to buy a compact SUV and had my heart set on the CX-5. But the Direct injection carbon build up in the long term has me concerned, and also the few reported problems with the rear calipers dragging because of the electronic parking brake also is in the back of my mind. I plan on having this vehicle for the next 5 to 6 years so the long term reliability carries some weight. Most of the vehicles in my price range have around 50K miles, which means it will have over 100K by the time I have it paid off. So I was looking into my other options, i know the Rav4 has a reputation for being reliable. I've got 19K to spend so that puts me in a CX-5 touring or a Rav4 LE of the same year.

I know feelings are going to be biased on a CX-5 forum, but are my concerns over blown? Are the problems I am reading about on here the vocal minority? I won't be getting the tech package so I can dodge the LED daytime running light problem. The car like driving characteristics is what drew me to the CX-5 in the first place, but bout 90% of my driving will be in the city, so I'm not sure if that is a valid reason to get the CX-5, and also I think the CX-5 is the best looking compact SUV out there, but you spend most of the time inside the car, and I think the interior of the two are of similar quality. I'm not sure what to do, this will be the most I've ever spent on a vehicle so I want it to be the correct choice. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Been lurking here for a while now. I'm looking to buy a compact SUV and had my heart set on the CX-5. But the Direct injection carbon build up in the long term has me concerned, and also the few reported problems with the rear calipers dragging because of the electronic parking brake also is in the back of my mind. I plan on having this vehicle for the next 5 to 6 years so the long term reliability carries some weight. Most of the vehicles in my price range have around 50K miles, which means it will have over 100K by the time I have it paid off. So I was looking into my other options, i know the Rav4 has a reputation for being reliable. I've got 19K to spend so that puts me in a CX-5 touring or a Rav4 LE of the same year.

I know feelings are going to be biased on a CX-5 forum, but are my concerns over blown? Are the problems I am reading about on here the vocal minority? I won't be getting the tech package so I can dodge the LED daytime running light problem. The car like driving characteristics is what drew me to the CX-5 in the first place, but bout 90% of my driving will be in the city, so I'm not sure if that is a valid reason to get the CX-5, and also I think the CX-5 is the best looking compact SUV out there, but you spend most of the time inside the car, and I think the interior of the two are of similar quality. I'm not sure what to do, this will be the most I've ever spent on a vehicle so I want it to be the correct choice. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

DI and carbon isnt really an issue on the cx5, and its awd is better than the rav awd by FAR in those year models. I had 106k miles on my 2015 when i traded it, and it ran like when i got it at 28k. The only real failure i can blame on it was the high pressure fuel pump, which is an anomaly, not a known issue.

Things I didnt like: toruing model sucks. No tech. Get a loaded grand touring with tech. Wind and road noise were annoying. That covers 98% of my gripes.

I have a 14 Touring with about 125k on it. I just replaced my rear calipers, likely due to the heavily salted roads in the upstate NY winters. Engine is fine, still getting about 27mpg overall and have no problem towing (sometimes overloading) a utility trailer. Internet complaints about the CX5, or any other vehicle for that matter, are way overblown.

I have a 16 Touring that I purchased new in April 2015 and have had zero problems. No caliper dragging, etc.

Only thing were two recalls (gas pipe and hydraulic rear hatch struts).

Both are reliable, both r good cars. Rav 4 suspension was a bit stiffer than cx5 but cx5 handled better. I like the Rav 4 seats better, back seat is bigger also. So it's down to personal preference. Take a long test drive in both to see what u like.

As you yourself suggested, I think your concerns are overblown.

I just bought out the lease in our 2016.5 Touring AWD, already have put 44k on it, and we plan on keeping for at least another 50k.

No issues to speak of, my gripes are about the road noise with OEM tires, and no paddle shifters, however we were able to fix both of those gripes with upgrades.

Back