USB, Aux options greyed out, pulled fuses...

kremlon

Ok, so I am new to the CX-5... we just bought a used 2018 last weekend. On the infotainment system, I can't select USB 1, USB 2, or AUX even when I have a USB drive with music plugged in or when I plug in a headphone cable with music to the AUX. Read I could reset the radio by pulling fuses for Audio 1 and Audio 2 in the fusebox, and it didn't work. It didn't even resent the bluetooth or presets, which leads me to believe I'm missing something. Ideas?

I tried that by selecting "restore factory settings" and just now by doing the soft reboot (back + Nav + mute) but it still is doing the same things.

I tried that by selecting "restore factory settings" and just now by doing the soft reboot (back + Nav + mute) but it still is doing the same things.

If you plug something into the USB like a phone, does it show that the USB is supplying POWER?

You are likely going to have to bring it into the dealer and have the Bluetooth module replaced or reprogrammed. I had the same situation and resetting it does not work. I would call Mazda support (sorry I don't have the number) and get a case number. In my case, the dealer covered it under warranty even though the car was out of warranty. Common problem. I cannot prove it, but I am convinced the problem occurs when you try and charge a phone or tablet from the USB port.

it doesn't show any power for powering up a phone. It does nothing. Ive seen some stuff about the bluetooth module, but the bluetooth still works... could that still be it?

Ok, so... since no-one seems to have new ideas, I guess my next step is to unhook the battery and let the system reset that way.... does anyone see an issue with this? What "recalibration" am I gonna have to do on the CX-5 with the battery clearing everything?

Ok, so I am new to the CX-5... we just bought a used 2018 last weekend. On the infotainment system, I can't select USB 1, USB 2, or AUX even when I have a USB drive with music plugged in or when I plug in a headphone cable with music to the AUX. Read I could reset the radio by pulling fuses for Audio 1 and Audio 2 in the fusebox, and it didn't work. It didn't even resent the bluetooth or presets, which leads me to believe I'm missing something. Ideas?

what size is your USB drive ? and what format ? NTFS or FAT32

I think there is a max 64gb USB limit for older model 2016s and before, and it had to be FAT32 format

first try a cheapo 8gb or less USB formatted to FAT32 and add some MP3 files and see if the CX-5 recognizes it.

Last edited:
Ok, so... since no-one seems to have new ideas, I guess my next step is to unhook the battery and let the system reset that way.... does anyone see an issue with this? What "recalibration" am I gonna have to do on the CX-5 with the battery clearing everything?

If you are not getting any power either, sounds like your USB/AUXIN assy is not plugged in to the audio module, or the module is defective.

You can discon the battery with no issues.
Although you just bought this car... last weekend? Take it to the dealer man, why are you even mucking with it? :D

Unsure of jump drive size... but I've tried a few. No, it doesn't power anything I plug into it, even my iPhone. We bought it used.... 1500 miles past the dealer warranty (so very close) so, although the drivetrain is still warrantied, this is not. I'll try the battery disconnect, and if that doesn't work... I'll just have to get it to the dealer and pay out myself.

OK, so here is the latest. I pulled the battery cable, left off for a while... and nothing happened. Here is where I'm confused. I read here that pulling the two audio fuses should reset the radio. I did that, and it didn't do anything... all the presets where still there, bluetooth still connected to all devices it did before. So now I puled the battery, and exact same. What am I missing? How are all the presets, and bluetooth, and memory on the radio the same after having battery cable removed for 10 minutes?

Your used 2018 should have some kind of warranty still. Even if mileage is up, if you discovered this immediately after purchase, the dealer should take a look as they likely sold it with everything thought to be in working order.

If doing a factory reset in the radio itself did not actually factory reset it, you have bigger issues here because resting the redo like that is just as good as the other stuff you've tried.
You're saying after doing the reset that way, it still had your presets? That's not right.

Yea, factory reset (mute, back, nav all at once) restarted the radio, but everything was still there. Unplugging battery, pulling fuses, everything still there. This CX-5 is a terminator.

Yea, factory reset (mute, back, nav all at once) restarted the radio, but everything was still there. Unplugging battery, pulling fuses, everything still there. This CX-5 is a terminator.
That's not a factory reset. That's more like a forced reboot. If you go into the setting of the radio there is an actual factory reset option.
dee74874c96d02e5bb796a40c2d2a2cd.jpg

Last edited:
My apologies, I realize what you are saying now... yes, the factory reset did reset the stations, but USB and AUX still greyed out. Is there a secondary power source (auxiliary power) that keeps the radio presets and settings even when battery disconnected or fuses pulled?

I am guessing here.
You bought an used one.
Maybe the previous owner had some issue and opened up the center console, but the USB/AUX box was not plugged in properly (or is now broken).

If your car is still under warranty (depending on mileage < 36K), I would suggest a trip to dealership.
If not, you can open it up and take a quick look.

You can go to youtube.com, and search to see how people install the AndrodAuto/CarPlay.
The video will show you how to remove the box inside the center console.

I am guessing here.
You bought an used one.
Maybe the previous owner had some issue and opened up the center console, but the USB/AUX box was not plugged in properly (or is now broken).

If your car is still under warranty (depending on mileage < 36K), I would suggest a trip to dealership.
If not, you can open it up and take a quick look.

You can go to youtube.com, and search to see how people install the AndrodAuto/CarPlay.
The video will show you how to remove the box inside the center console.

I was able to remove the box in the console, and everything looks good and connected. Checked all fuses in both fuseboxes, all fuses good. Even the cigarette lighter plug in the console powers up just fine, it's just that the 2 USBs, the SD cards readers, and the AUX port don't do a thing, and the infotainment screen has them greyed out as if it's not even an option to select them... it's like they aren't even there when I plug something in.

I did call the used dealer I bought it from, and they said they'd be happy to take a look at it sometime next week, though I get the impression they are hoping it's something simple (me too) and that they wouldn't be replacing anything major. I've tried everything I can to unhook the battery to reset everything, but evidently the 2018 has some sort of auxiliary power on the radio and it doesn't reset like that (can't find anything online about it either), I even unhooked the battery and both fuses at the same time and left it all unhooked for 10 minutes... yet radio still has all presets and bluetooth still connects. Even though the car is past the warranty (at now 39k miles) I may just end up taking it to a dealer to see what's up..... I was just hoping to get it licked before we left for our weeklong trip this weekend, but it's upon us... so i'll just be using my iPhone bluetooth to connect, and I leave the ipod classic at home (yes, there are still some of us out there).

Thanks all

Back