Cylinder Deactivation Questions

:
None
Mazda's video in the link below states that "in light-load driving situations, such as cruising on the highway, Mazda's new engine shuts down two cylinders to save fuel."

https://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/the-mazda-way/technology/mazdas-new-cylinder-deactivation/

1. Does cylinder deactivation also occur when the engine is idling and the car is not moving?

2. Or does cd only occur at "cruising speeds" whatever that means? I assume "cruising speed" means any steady speed with no acceleration, right? What if the speed is 75 mph? I would think two cylinders wouldn't be enough at 75 mph?

3. Is there a CD indicator lamp on the dashboard that indicates whether the engine is running on 2 or 4 cylinders?

4. Do the turbo models have cd?

1. No
2. Cruising speeds meaning between 25-50 MPH if I recall correctly.
3. Not that I am aware of.
4. No

Mazda CX-5's cylinder deactivation operates only at sustained cruising speed between 25 mph and 50 mph (40 km/h to 80 km/h).

And:
Cylinder deactivation is more effective at low speeds, improving fuel economy by some 20% when driving at a constant 40 km/h, and by about 5% at a constant 80 km/h.

Currently there're a couple of Service Alerts by Mazda concerning rocker arm falling off issue from cylinder deactivation:

Dangerous cylinder deactivation trouble on 2018 CX-5 and 6 models

On the new 2019 Mazda 6 in Europe, you can see cd activation in the economy app (where you also can see i-stop details).

FOUR cylinders are just barely enough at 75.

That's my experience as well - the poor 2.5 at "cruising" speeds is already borderline-choking... and yet, some moron had a brilliant idea of handicapping it by half...

I'd pay to see the durability stats on these engines, especially closer to the end of the warranty coverage.

1. No
2. Cruising speeds meaning between 25-50 MPH if I recall correctly.
3. Not that I am aware of.
4. No
Have heard that the turbo 2.5 does not have CD. Considering a 2019 or 2020 with the 2.5T and AWD. Where can I find info on what CX-5 engines do not have CD? Also does the turbo have that "fulcrum" thing in the torque converter like the non turbos do? Any other issues with the 2019 - 2020 CX-5 2.5T AWD?

All years of the turbo do not have CD. The 2018 and later 2.5 NA, have CD. The 2017 and older 2.5 NA, DO NOT have CD.

...I would think two cylinders wouldn't be enough at 75 mph?
I think CD will kick in even at 75mph if you don't need to give it much gas, such as when going down an incline. The car will never try to accelerate or fight a head wind with two cylinders, CD is for almost no load driving.

Back