Thread: Mazda Roadside Assistance vs. AAA

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 GT

Mazda Roadside Assistance vs. AAA

For anyone who has ever used this service, how was your experience? I'd like to know because I am contemplating cancelling my AAA account since I now have Mazda's Roadside service for the next 3 years. More specifically, how is their response time? Whenever I've had to use AAA, it typically takes them 15-30 minutes to arrive no matter what the issue is. Is Mazda's service as reliable? I read a thread a while back of someone having a truly nightmare experience when they had to use the service but was that a one time thing or are they genuinely slow in response. Also, if you need to have your vehicle towed, did you have to pay any extra fees?
    2018 Mazda CX-5 GT
    2016 Mazda CX-5 T -- sold
    2015 Yamaha FZ09 (Melisandre)
    2012 Yamaha R6 (Lucy) -- laid to rest
    2009 Mazda 3 (Fireball)
    1998 Chevy S-10 (Cindy)

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Mazda Roadside Assistance vs. AAA

I'd cancel the AAA if I were you. It's a new car and chances are minimum that you get stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Registered Member

2014 Mazda3 Sport GT

Short version: Drop AAA and use the free Mazda Roadside Assistance until it expires.

Long version:
    "Mazda's service" is a third-party dispatch company used by most major manufacturers. Whether you have a $20K CX-3 or a $120K BMW M5, your call reaches the same agents, who dispatch the same local towing companies. The only real difference is that in busy times the higher-end manufacturers' incoming call queues get priority, and the coverage levels (tow distances, amount of free gas, etc.) each manufacturer provides.

Service standard in most urban or suburban areas is 30min for a utility truck (battery boosts, gas delivery, and lockouts), 45min for a regular tow truck (which will usually have dollies if the vehicle is AWD), or 1hr for a flatbed. Unusual situations almost always mean a longer wait, whether it's needing a tow out of an underground garage that only has 6' of clearance, or in Dallas after an inch of snowfall.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5/Touring

I bought a CPO 2014 CX-5 last year and used the roadside assistance once until my CPO warranty ran out.

Had a flat and Mazda RA got Pop a Lock to come out and put the spare on. Very good service and response time was pretty fast.

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature

Here's the text in the 2019 brochure regarding 24/7 ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE (bold emphasis by me):

If Mazda vehicle is not drivable due to a warranted part failure during the coverage period of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty
    (36 months/36,000 miles), towing service will be covered to the nearest Mazda Dealer. In addition, if a Mazda vehicle is not
    drivable due to the failure of a warranted powertrain component, then towing service will be covered during the coverage
    period of the Limited Powertrain Warranty (60 months/60,000 miles).

I don't see anything there that implies they'll deliver gas, fix a flat, pop a lock, or any other extra service. Since a flat tire or driver negligence is not a warrantied thing, I don't see this as a replacement for AAA. Am I missing something?

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-5 GTR

DOES MAZDA PROVIDE ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE?

If a Mazda vehicle is not drivable during the coverage period of the New-Vehicle Limited Warranty or Limited Powertrain Warranty, towing to the nearest Mazda dealership is covered. For more information about roadside assistance and warranted part failures, please visit Mazda's Warranty page.

The following Roadside Assistance Services are also covered during the New-Vehicle Limited Warranty period of 3 years/36,000 miles from the original warranty start date:

- Lock-out Assistance

- Gas Delivery

- Jump Starts

- Flat Tire Assistance

If you require immediate assistance, please contact Roadside Assistance directly at (800) 866-1998 or download the MyMazda application for iPhone®* or AndroidTM**

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by pcardoza View Post
    DOES MAZDA PROVIDE ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE?

If a Mazda vehicle is not drivable during the coverage period of the New-Vehicle Limited Warranty or Limited Powertrain Warranty, towing to the nearest Mazda dealership is covered. For more information about roadside assistance and warranted part failures, please visit Mazda's Warranty page.

The following Roadside Assistance Services are also covered during the New-Vehicle Limited Warranty period of 3 years/36,000 miles from the original warranty start date:

- Lock-out Assistance

- Gas Delivery

- Jump Starts

- Flat Tire Assistance

If you require immediate assistance, please contact Roadside Assistance directly at (800) 866-1998 or download the MyMazda application for iPhone®* or AndroidTM**
    Thanks. That was not in the brochure I had. It was titled "2019 CX-5 SPECIFICATIONS".

As an aside, I can't install the Android MyMazda app. It complains because my phone is rooted. So I just added the Mazda phone number in my contacts for quick reference.