Android Auto CX-5 2019

Bloodbones

:
CX-5 Touring 2019
Hello everyone,

I have a weird question. Just got my new CX-5 GS 2019 3 days ago. I'm a first time user of Android Auto and it's great!! But I'd like to find a way to use Android Auto without charging my phone (Galaxy S9). I'm not a fan of charging my phone all the time when it doesn't need it.

Is there any way to use Android Auto in my car without charging? Didn't find anything on that.

Thanks for the help! (headbang)

Alex

Not unless there is a setting on your phone to do that.

I've seen USB cables that include a switch to turn off data syncing and then only allow charging, but not the opposite which is what it seems you'd want here. I see a lot of similar general (non-charging Android USB cables) inquiries via a Google search, so a not rare request. There just doesn't seem to be a reasonable solution though. One forum talked about an app that does it, but it required rooting of one's Android device.

Supposedly it doesn't hurt the phone. I won't vouch one way or the other for it, but I don't know anyone who keeps phones as long as I do, and I've only had an issue with the HTC Incredible back in 2014? after about 4+ years of charging it while I slept all day.

Agreed with Unobtanium. Newer phones are designed to better manage the shortcomings of rechargeable battery life in terms of frequent short term recharges. I think it is literally called Power Management or something like that....

I mean, you are correct that overall it still isn't recommended to do this a lot, but the impact should be negligible unless you do it many times daily and every day. I find that sometimes I just use BT anyway for quick short trips where I only want music and when I am being lazy, so my own phone naturally gets a break now and then from unnecessary charging via my CarPlay connection.

Lithium batteries care more about heat and total lifetime charge than they do about the size of any particular charge. All modern PMC (power management circuitry) is designed to avoid any truly harmful situation like allowing a full discharge to 0%, or fast-charging at high ambient temperatures.

The only surefire way to make lithium batteries last longer is to keep them cool and use them as little as possible. Assuming that you do want to use Android Auto and you're not running it just to see it run, then don't worry about it also charging the phone; you'll be fine.

You can prolong your batteries overall capacity by never fully charging it but they return on your investment is single didn't percentage points annually. So it really only makes sense if you plan to keep the phone 3 years or more.

Back