How fast does your CX5 go and how does it handle?

Cuz

Contributor
For those of you with 2018 & 2019 CX-5s, how does it handle triple digit speeds?

About 15 miles of my daily commute is usually spent in the 85-95 mph range with my 2011 Outback. Im wondering how a 2019/2020 CX-5 turbo would be at that speed. Would the new turbo be comfortable bumping it up to the 100-110 range?

I found an article online that said the top end was limited to 130 mph. Can it really get there? And how does it feel at 120+ mph?

Thanks.

Our main road trip vehicle is a 155hp 2.0 CX-5. We set the cruise control to 84-86mph for a 150 miles or so stretch until we get to California. Pretty sure having 100 more HP would help.

Max I've gone was 110 mph on I-80 through Wyoming.

85-95 mph is simple and easy on my 2.5L NA, should be moreso on your turbo.

Never driven a subie but the CX-5 handles better than most cars.

Never driven a subie but the CX-5 handles better than most cars.

Never driven an Outback, but my Mom's Crosstrek feels and drives god awful. If the Outback is anything like that, CX-5 should be a huge improvement.

Never driven an Outback, but my Mom's Crosstrek feels and drives god awful. If the Outback is anything like that, CX-5 should be a huge improvement.

I have a friend with a Crosstrek who traded a 350Z in on it and LOVES how it handles. People are funny like that, as I believe both of you.

I do 100+ mph in my 16 GT 2.5 and it's fine. These cars are sensitive to tire balancing at least in my AWD. Getting a road force balance vs. Traditional should keep it smooth at those speeds

Mom's Crosstrek feels and drives god awful.

I test drove a Crosstrek before getting the Mazda. It felt like a cheap, plastic toy car and it smelled like my '98 VW Passat (burnt oil all the time). But to answer your question, I drive the 95 corridor from NY to Philly once a week and typically keep it around 90mph and occasionally hit 100mph. I've never had it over 110mph but it's smooth as butter up to that at least.

Mines goes up to 124 - limit of the cruise control. RPMS limit at around 110, but if you turn on CC you can regain some RPMS. Gearing around that speed leaves little room for improvement anyways. Handles very well at all speed.. but I'm not on pickup truck suspension anymore.

I found an article online that said the top end was limited to 130 mph. Can it really get there? And how does it feel at 120+ mph?
The official top speed on Mazda CX-5 is 120 mph. You can't go over that speed unless you have your PCM modified.

There's a member posted a picture of speedometer at 120 mph from his US version CX-5 driving on the Autobahn in Germany. No problem at all.

The official top speed on Mazda CX-5 is 120 mph. You can't go over that speed unless you have your PCM modified.

There's a member posted a picture of speedometer at 120 mph from his US version CX-5 driving on the Autobahn in Germany. No problem at all.

It may not b e a problem, but noise and fuel consumption are horrible in the 2.5 NA <17 models. I have not done extended driving at 90-100 in my GT-R, but if its performance at 85 is any indicator, it's MUCH better suited to it.

I was on cruise at 100 mph for a few minutes in Utah. Plenty of pedal left, but wife was in the car. Handled very nicely.

I had an Outback rental when in Wyoming (5000 miles on it, so no excuse for abuse). It felt like driving a waterbed. The worst steering feel I have touched in a while. Made me wonder why people buy these things. Scary at all speeds.

The pickup at speed [NA] is nonexistent, but the stability is outstanding.

Haven't had a chance to push it yet (still 6xx miles on it) but I love the way car handles curves and how stable it is at 60-70MPH for a car this size.
Acceleration is a bit lacking however for the NA model but quick enough for quick merges and getting up to speed on the highway.

Back