Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Mazda CX-5 vs. 2019 Toyota RAV4 (Car&Driver)

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    Quote Originally Posted by FRED48 View Post
    Regarding the skidpad grip comparison: that surprises me. I would have expected this to be where the CX-5 blew the doors off of the RAV-4. (Stopping distance has always been an issue for the CX-5).
    maybe tires make the difference?
    That's what I was wondering, but was too lazy to look up the specs.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow 2019 Mazda CX-5 vs. 2019 Toyota RAV4 (Car&Driver)

Quote Originally Posted by FRED48 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Avoidin Deer View Post
    Regarding the skidpad grip comparison: that surprises me. I would have expected this to be where the CX-5 blew the doors off of the RAV-4. (Stopping distance has always been an issue for the CX-5).
    maybe tires make the difference?
    CX-5 has Toyo A36, 225/55R-19 99V tires whereas RAV4 has Toyo A39 Open Country, 235/55R-19 101V. Both have Toyo tires and how much difference the tire can make?

Even Car and Driver doesn’t use tire as the excuse for performance and handling differences.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    CX-5 has Toyo A36, 225/55R-19 99V tires whereas RAV4 has Toyo A39 Open Country, 235/55R-19 101V. Both have Toyo tires and how much difference the tire can make?

Even Car and Driver doesn*t use tire as the excuse for performance and handling differences.
    CX5 GTR/SG is pretty heavy, yo! The tires should be 245's. I was hitting some curves i the mountains with my gf in the car and actually trying to be kinda sedate and still got a ton of tire squeal. It was annoying, really, how low the limits were. Oh, it behaves itself, but jeez. I'm really really considering some 245's like Fitch? put on his, but am nervous that they won't clear fender-wells during extremes of suspension movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    CX5 GTR/SG is pretty heavy, yo! The tires should be 245's. I was hitting some curves i the mountains with my gf in the car and actually trying to be kinda sedate and still got a ton of tire squeal. It was annoying, really, how low the limits were. Oh, it behaves itself, but jeez. I'm really really considering some 245's like Fitch? put on his, but am nervous that they won't clear fender-wells during extremes of suspension movement.
    Well, who is to blame to make your CX-5 GTR so heavy? At 3,812 lb CX-5 Signature AWD is 147 lb heavier than RAV4 Adventure AWD. One of the major advantages of Mazda's original SkyActiv Technology is lighter weight. Now Mazda has walked away its original idea and made its new CX-5 "weighing a relatively hefty" according to Car and Driver.

Mazda GTR and Sig have 2.5T turbo which added 40~63 hp but has no changes on suspension to compensate. Even the tire size is the same. Again, who is to blame to make the tire so narrow?

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Even Car and Driver doesn*t use tire as the excuse for performance and handling differences.
    The difference can be huge. Actually, C&D often cites tires differences to account for differing results.

Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    The difference can be huge. Actually, C&D often cites tires differences to account for differing results.
    Exactly! But C&D didn't blame the tire on CX-5 which makes it inferior on performance and handling in the article.

Registered Member

16.5 CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech BRMica

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    It needs another .5-1 inch of wheel, too...

2012 CX-9 GT AWD, Copper Red/Sand

Exactly! But C&D didn't blame the tire on CX-5 which makes it inferior on performance and handling in the article.
    If you watch Alex on Autos' review of the CX-5, he specifically references the CX-5 tire width, and suggests that owners can improve handling by adding wider tires.

Quote Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
    If you watch Alex on Autos' review of the CX-5, he specifically references the CX-5 tire width, and suggests that owners can improve handling by adding wider tires.
    Then Mazda should do it from factory, not their owners.

And NelsonLewis said it correctly, with wider tires even if it's just 1 cm wider on tread, we need wider wheels too for optimal performance.

Registered Member

16.5 CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech BRMica

And NelsonLewis said it correctly, with wider tires even if it's just 1 cm wider on tread, we need wider wheels too for optimal performance.
    This is why I wish they offered an *M* or *S* type line, you know, like other premium automakers do. Maybe they eventually will...

Right now, it would include...
    1) wider wheels and tires
    2) lower and more aggressive ride stance and handling
    3) 3-330hp
    4) possible big brake kit

I*d gladly pay a $4-6k premium for this, and stretch it to the low $40k*s. I bet there*s more of us than one thinks, too...

Wanna really steal premium brand buyers, DO IT!!

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonLewis View Post
    This is why I wish they offered an *M* or *S* type line, you know, like other premium automakers do. Maybe they eventually will...

Right now, it would include...
    1) wider wheels and tires
    2) lower and more aggressive ride stance and handling
    3) 3-330hp
    4) possible big brake kit

I*d gladly pay a $4-6k premium for this, and stretch it to the low $40k*s. I bet there*s more of us than one thinks, too...

Wanna really steal premium brand buyers, DO IT!!
    +1... definitely with a big brake kit.

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Right, I misunderstood what you were saying.

Double right.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Well, who is to blame to make your CX-5 GTR so heavy? At 3,812 lb CX-5 Signature AWD is 147 lb heavier than RAV4 Adventure AWD. One of the major advantages of Mazda's original SkyActiv Technology is lighter weight. Now Mazda has walked away its original idea and made its new CX-5 "weighing a relatively hefty" according to Car and Driver.

Mazda GTR and Sig have 2.5T turbo which added 40~63 hp but has no changes on suspension to compensate. Even the tire size is the same. Again, who is to blame to make the tire so narrow?
    Changes were made. It handles the same or better than a gen 1...I am quite happy with the tradeoffs.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    +1... definitely with a big brake kit.
    GTR and Sig get 2 pot and larger rotors up front...not BBK, but it is improvement.

Registered Member

2001 Mazda Protege

Quote Originally Posted by 7eregrine View Post
    Mazda wasnt all that amazing 20 years ago. That's why.
    My old man started with Mazda in the late 80s (the 626) and upgraded to the 929 in 1992. That thing ran for 6 hard years and I drove it on occasion its latter half. Felt damn near luxury quiet and smooth in driving, granted I was only 17-19 yo but still. Mazda can build premium vehicles if they want. I think the current CX-5 is today's 929 in its compact CUV segment.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast