Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Mazda CX-5 vs. 2019 Toyota RAV4 (Car&Driver)

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by 7eregrine View Post
    It won't. It drives so well at speed you're at 80 and don't realize it...
    This is true! i had a chance to drive my wife's CX-5 and I was constantly going over the speed limit (but not 80, LOL) and it's only a NA 2.5.

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Klatch View Post
    This is true! i had a chance to drive my wife's CX-5 and I was constantly going over the speed limit (but not 80, LOL) and it's only a NA 2.5.
    Same...all the time. Very effortless to do so.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 82k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    Quote Originally Posted by wlong01 View Post
    You're right. Even now with the sudden airbag deployment the Honda fanboys will still praise the CR-V. I check both forums since my wife has a CR-V and the latest with the
    airbag fiasco is just ho-hum. They'll take it in stride like they're doing with the oil dilution problem or the bad vibrations on the 2013 - 2016 models.
    I'm not sure they're taking the oil dilution in stride, unless outrage has died down since I was on those forums last fall when car shopping. I'd find it hard to believe it has, since we're talking a significant detriment to engine performance and life along with a jump in maintenance expense and inconvenience (changing oil every 1,000 miles in some cases). It's not like a fragile paint color.

That being said, I read an article some time ago claiming you don't always get the best car advice when asking the opinion of current owners (and I guess this applies to everything else). People are hesitant to admit their mistakes, so you get all upside and little reality.

I've never owned a Mazda before (been driving for over 45 years). Now that I see what you get for the price point, and now that I have experienced "Kodo," I don't know why they don't have a larger market share. Do people really spend this kind of money based on entertainment system and cup holder design?

Mazda wasnt all that amazing 20 years ago. That's why.

Registered Member

Mazda wasn't all that amazing 20 years ago. That's why.
    I hadn't thought about that. I recall the wankel commercials back in the day. And quite a few coworkers were buying Miatas in the early 90s (maybe earlier than that?). I'm not conversant enough in the brand to know if those early Miatas were nice sports cars or if they were all show and no go. I've never really been a gear head.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow 2019 Mazda CX-5 vs. 2019 Toyota RAV4 (Car&Driver)

Quote Originally Posted by Avoidin Deer View Post
    ... I've never owned a Mazda before (been driving for over 45 years). Now that I see what you get for the price point, and now that I have experienced "Kodo," I don't know why they don't have a larger market share. Do people really spend this kind of money based on entertainment system and cup holder design?
    IMO the history of inconsistency on reliability is why Mazda can't build up a bigger market share. People usually blame it on Ford, but you simply can't blame the rotary engine, and the recent CX-7 on Ford. When I purchased our 2016 CX-5, one reason was the reliability rating on Mazda from Consumer Report at the time is no. 4. Then next year it dropped to no. 6, and no. 12 the following year. It does come back up to no. 3 this year, but the inconsistency of reliability is the problem.

For a while I always recommended CX-5 to friends and family. A couple of them bought 2016 CX-5's were mad at me due to expensive LED DRL failure. Others who refused to get a Mazda mainly are questioning its reliability, some of them have had Mazda before and they all had bad experience on reliability issues from their previous Mazda's.

I don't recommend Mazda to friends and family anymore mainly because newly added cylinder deactivation and turbo, which to me are not good features for long-term reliability based on history record.
    Last edited by yrwei52; 05-23-2019 at 11:07 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    IMO the history of inconsistency on reliability is why Mazda can't build up a bigger market share. People usually blame it on Ford, but you simply can't blame the rotary engine, and the recent CX-7 on Ford. When I purchased our 2016 CX-5, one reason was the reliability rating on Mazda from Consumer Report at the time is no. 3. Then next year it dropped to no. 6, and no. 12 the following year. It does come back up to no. 3 this year, but the inconsistency of reliability is the problem.
    Interesting. That's quite the schizophrenic swing.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Mazda wasnt all that amazing 20 years ago. That's why.
    I dunno, they had some cool stuff back in 1999. The little B2200 was un-killable (It was a Ranger, whatever), and the RX7 FD was truly awesome, if a bit quirky. I tend to view Mazda's "bad years" as 2004-2012 or thereabouts. The RX8 was such a stain that it killed anyone sensible's love for the little company, as the RX7 FD was truly only the "cool" thing Mazda was doing. The rest was the B2200 (Ranger), and "junk".

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

IMO the history of inconsistency on reliability is why Mazda can't build up a bigger market share. People usually blame it on Ford, but you simply can't blame the rotary engine, and the recent CX-7 on Ford. When I purchased our 2016 CX-5, one reason was the reliability rating on Mazda from Consumer Report at the time is no. 4. Then next year it dropped to no. 6, and no. 12 the following year. It does come back up to no. 3 this year, but the inconsistency of reliability is the problem.

For a while I always recommended CX-5 to friends and family. A couple of them bought 2016 CX-5's were mad at me due to expensive LED DRL failure. Others who refused to get a Mazda mainly are questioning its reliability, some of them have had Mazda before and they all had bad experience on reliability issues from their previous Mazda's.

I don't recommend Mazda to friends and family anymore mainly because newly added cylinder deactivation and turbo, which to me are not good features for long-term reliability based on history record.
    Mazda's 2.5T engine has a great track record for reliability.

Registered Member

2018 cx5 GT

It’s to bad about the new rav4. I had a loaded 2005. Best car I have ever owned never a problem over 200,000 km. Wish I kept it!

Registered Member

2016 CX-5 (white), 2019 CX-5(red), 2019 Miata (white)

My 2019 Rav 4 test drive lasted 30 seconds.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow 2019 Mazda CX-5 vs. 2019 Toyota RAV4 (Car&Driver)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeroman View Post
    It’s to bad about the new rav4. I had a loaded 2005. Best car I have ever owned never a problem over 200,000 km. Wish I kept it!
    Nothing too bad against new 2019 Toyota RAV4 from the Car and Driver article!

In fact, RAV4 out-performed CX-5 in every category on performance and handling other than acceleration. But CX-5 has to pay for the turbo power with poorer MPG and more frequent maintenance.

Car and Driver failed to mention the premium 93-octane gas, which is 60~80˘ per gallon more expensive in our area, is required for listed 250 hp on CX-5 in its article, whereas RAV4’s listed 203 hp is from 87-octane regular gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Car and Driver
    2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature AWD
    Highs: The best chassis in the class, the best engine in the class, the best interior in the class.
    Lows: One of the thirstiest engines in the class, narrow interior, small cargo hold.

2019 Toyota RAV4 Limited
    Highs: Humongous interior space, cushy seats, thrifty on fuel.
    Lows: Noisy, feels brittle and insubstantial, polarizing styling.

On the Road

It's surprising for a Toyota, and especially so for a RAV4, how connected and communicative the RAV4's steering is. And the vehicle as a whole is pretty well balanced and planted. Before you get any warning light or big interruptions, you can feel the stability control intervening in subtle ways to keep the thing neutral and controlled around corners. We were quite surprised to learn that we like the brake pedal more in the RAV4 than in the Mazda. The CX-5's is a little squishy at the top of its travel, while the Toyota's is part of the brand's unexpected commitment to verve in its pedestrian products. And it's not just in feel: The RAV4's handling and braking numbers—0.84 g of grip on the skidpad and a 161-foot stop from 70 mph—are the best in the segment, while the Mazda's 0.78 g and 175-foot stop tend toward the back in spite of the CX-5's subjective composure and comfort.

The Mazda's optional boosted four is the burliest engine in the class. It doesn't rev very high or sound particularly great, but it does make the CX-5 the quickest by a substantial margin despite weighing a relatively hefty 3812 pounds. Our test vehicle's 6.2-second zero-to-60-mph pull was almost two seconds quicker than both that of a mechanically identical RAV4 Adventure model we previously tested and of the last CX-5 we took to the track with the standard 186-hp 2.5-liter. Paired with one of the last six-speed automatic transmissions in a segment increasingly turning to eight- and nine-speeds and CVTs to tease out every last mpg, Mazda's 2.5 turbo does suffer somewhat compared to others in terms of fuel economy, which the EPA estimates at 22 mpg city, 27 highway, and 24 combined. But experientially, the six-speed is deeply satisfying, being smooth, quick-shifting, and with perfectly spaced ratios that keep it from feeling or sounding too busy. Engine behavior is where the Toyota drops behind the Mazda; the RAV4's 2.5 is gritty and loud, and the eight-speed automatic feels slow and abrupt in its actions. But with its more modest output, the Toyota crushes the Mazda in fuel economy, with 25 mpg city and 33 highway for a combined 28 mpg. On our 75-mph highway fuel-economy loop, the RAV4 averaged 32 mpg to the CX-5's 30 mpg.

The Bottom Line
    The Toyota RAV4 is a spacious and comfortable cruiser and surprisingly engaging. On the one hand, the RAV4 joins the Camry sedan as unlikely indicators of a shift toward enthusiasm at Toyota. But on the other, both are the volume models, and their honing shows that Toyota is serious about modifying its reputation for building reliable yet staid vehicles. There's a competence to the latest RAV4 that has never been there before. All it needs now is a powertrain that doesn't sound and feel like it's two decades old.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Nothing too bad against new 2019 Toyota RAV4 from the Car and Driver article!

In fact, RAV4 out-performed CX-5 in every category on performance and handling other than acceleration. But CX-5 has to pay for the turbo power with poorer MPG and more frequent maintenance.

Car and Driver failed to mention the premium 93-octane gas, which is 60~80˘ per gallon more expensive in our area, is required for listed 250 hp on CX-5 in its article, whereas RAV4*s listed 203 hp is from 87-octane regular gas.
    A big thing you missed is the 3dB difference at 70mph cruise. That is HUGE and may truly be a sole deciding factor for someone who drove both. On long road trips it will matter a lot regarding fatigue. Sound levels on the dB scale are logarithmic. 3dB is a big deal.

Registered Member

I agree that it is disingenuous (or just plain sloppy) of Car & Driver to post those higher CX-5 *gotta use premium* HP numbers, especially since the CX-5 is 24 HP more than the RAV-4 when both are using regular.

Regarding the skidpad grip comparison: that surprises me. I would have expected this to be where the CX-5 blew the doors off of the RAV-4. (Stopping distance has always been an issue for the CX-5).

Registered Member

2018 CX 5 TOURING

Regarding the skidpad grip comparison: that surprises me. I would have expected this to be where the CX-5 blew the doors off of the RAV-4. (Stopping distance has always been an issue for the CX-5).[/QUOTE]

maybe tires make the difference?

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast