2019 Mazda CX-5 vs. 2019 Toyota RAV4 (Car&Driver)

Turbo no, NA, yes. It is categorically a worse performer in the gen 2 vs the gen 1.

Pretty strong and damning, but, never having driven a gen 1, I can't comment. Perhaps the gen 3 will be more to your liking.

Turbo no, NA, yes. It is categorically a worse performer in the gen 2 vs the gen 1.

Pretty strong and damning, but, never having driven a gen 1, I can't comment. Perhaps the gen 3 will be more to your liking.

I've driven both NA versions. Daughter has a 2015 and we test drove a 2018. Both are dogs, and my wife would be driving something else, had the turbo not been introduced.

I've driven both NA versions. Daughter has a 2015 and we test drove a 2018. Both are dogs, and my wife would be driving something else, had the turbo not been introduced.
To call it a dog is bulls***. But gen 2 is slightly more of a dog in your scenario ;)

OCI is 12 months for flexible maintenance using both Schedule 1 and 2 in the US. A 6-month OCI is only used for a fixed schedule recommended for police, taxi, or dusty conditions. The RAV4 and CX-5 are the same time interval.
Here's the Schedule 1 (normal driving condition) Fixed OCI which is 6 months or 7,500 miles from my 2016 CX-5 owner's manual. The same Fixed OCI, 6 months or 7,500 miles, on my 2018 Toyota Yaris iA which is a Mazda2. I wonder how many CX-5 owners actually use Flexible OCI? Although I always urge people to use Flexible OCI, but most CX-5 owners seem not to use it and change the oil at 5,000-mile interval anyway.

attachment.php

2016 CX-5 Fixed OCI.jpg

The turbo is definitely a plus, but it's reserved to the top trims. I'd say a new NA equivalent, whether the Skyactiv-X or something else that improved the efficiency and performance of the NA trimmed CX-5. My biggest problem with the current NA Gen 2 is that it is very clearly worse than the Gen 1 CX-5 due to the rest of the style and design improvements. So to me an NA Gen 2 is a no go in terms of a successor to the NA Gen 1. MY fear with the 2.0L Skyactiv-X is that it won't outperform the 2.5L, even though it may be more efficient. I'd like to see performance improvements in the non-turbo trims as well.

Ok, so essentially you want a more powerful NA engine, or reduced weight, or a better transmission. Really anything that will make the 0-60 better than the Gen1. Improved fuel efficiency would be a bonus. I guess all of the other improvements/changes aren't enough (GVC+, slightly better handling due to lower center of gravity, improved safety systems, AA/ACP, etc).

The style and design stuff is subjective, so I understand that.

The bad news is, numbers for the first Skyactiv-X engines in the Mazda3 for Europe were published, and it looks like the engine loses a bit of hp and torque (though the torque peak comes on much sooner than the previous engine). Good news is that fuel efficiency has improved greatly. https://jalopnik.com/mazdas-holy-grail-engine-wont-be-very-powerful-but-hot-1835270352

Here's hoping they develop a more powerful option or tune the engine/CX-5 more aggressively for the US market.

Ok, so essentially you want a more powerful NA engine, or reduced weight, or a better transmission. Really anything that will make the 0-60 better than the Gen1. Improved fuel efficiency would be a bonus. I guess all of the other improvements/changes aren't enough (GVC+, slightly better handling due to lower center of gravity, improved safety systems, AA/ACP, etc).

The style and design stuff is subjective, so I understand that.

The bad news is, numbers for the first Skyactiv-X engines in the Mazda3 for Europe were published, and it looks like the engine loses a bit of hp and torque (though the torque peak comes on much sooner than the previous engine). Good news is that fuel efficiency has improved greatly. https://jalopnik.com/mazdas-holy-grail-engine-wont-be-very-powerful-but-hot-1835270352

Here's hoping they develop a more powerful option or tune the engine/CX-5 more aggressively for the US market.

Or the turbo brought down to lower trims. I'm just saying I'd like to see a true successor to the 2.5L NA that increases the performance. Skyactiv-X 2.0L certainly doesn't appear to be that, but maybe it leads somewhere...

I guess all of the other improvements/changes aren't enough (GVC+, slightly better handling due to lower center of gravity, improved safety systems, AA/ACP, etc).

I've made that abundantly clear that I don't care for nanny systems, the lowering, and other style/design choices.

That said, I could be swayed from a Gen 1 with a proper engine upgrade at the right price. The turbo is appealing, but at only the top trims, no bueno for me. I'm not really interested in top end trims.

Last edited:
I don't see Turbos coming to Sport / Touring. GT maybe - reason is it is expensive to sell high emission cars due to the ZEV / CARB structure in place. Some of that cost is offset on higher trims due to margins.
GM / FCA are having to buy credits from Tesla to keep pumping out high performance cars.

I don't see Turbos coming to Sport / Touring. GT maybe - reason is it is expensive to sell high emission cars due to the ZEV / CARB structure in place. Some of that cost is offset on higher trims due to margins.
GM / FCA are having to buy credits from Tesla to keep pumping out high performance cars.
The CX5 turbo is hardly "high emissions".
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Pow...r2=2019&make=Mazda&baseModel=CX-5&srchtyp=ymm
Kaps is correct. 2019 Mazda CX-5 SkyActiv-G 2.5L has emission control type T3B30/SULEV30 (Federal/California), a Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle whereas 2.5T has T3B125/ULEV125 (Fed/Cal), an Ultra Low Emission Vehicle.

Emission rating on 2019 Toyota RAV4 Dynamic Force 2.5L is rated as ULEV, whereas 2.5L Hybrid is rated as SULEV which meets Tier 2/Bin 3 Federal emissions standard.

Kaps is correct. 2019 Mazda CX-5 SkyActiv-G 2.5L has emission control type T3B30/SULEV30 (Federal/California), a Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle whereas 2.5T has T3B125/ULEV125 (Fed/Cal), an Ultra Low Emission Vehicle.

Emission rating on 2019 Toyota RAV4 Dynamic Force 2.5L is rated as ULEV, whereas 2.5L Hybrid is rated as SULEV which meets Tier 2/Bin 3 Federal emissions standard.

Ultra Low is not anywhere near "High"....

Thanks for sharing. Ofcourse, The 2019 Mazda CX-5 also offers an engine upgrade to its standard engine while the 2019 Rav4 does not. ... All-Wheel Drive (AWD) is also an option for both the CX-5 and Rav4 but the Mazda CX-5 Signature trim level receives standard AWD while no trim level of the Toyota Rav4 gets equipped with standard AWD. Click here
Not correct. RAV4 Adventure has standard AWD
Yes, 2019 Toyota RAV4 Adventure comes with Dynamic Torque Vectoring All-Wheel Drive (TV-AWD) with Rear Driveline Disconnect as standard equipment, which is different and more advanced from other AWD system on RAV4.

Also, 2019 RAV4 does have a different engine option, 2.5L Hybrid which offers more power, from 203 hp on 2.5L to 219 combined system net hp, and better MPG, from 25/33/28 to 41/38/40 (city/highway/combined on AWD). RAV4 XSE Hybrid also has sport-tuned suspension standard.

Ultra Low is not anywhere near "High"....
It's comparative. ULEV I believe is the minimum required emission rating to sell the vehicle in the US, while as SULEV has even "lower" emission.

I'm sorta in the market, so I test drove a 2019 RAV4 Hybrid in XLE trim back-to-back with ah 2019 CX-5 GT-R. I have to be honest and say I was more impressed with the Toyota drivetrain - the hybrid setup just seemed smoother and more refined with a little more power when you really romped on it. The CX-5 example I drove seemed less smooth and coarser than the non-turbos I've driven, although the extra power was nice. Maybe I was driving a green car that would smooth out later.

Very enamored with the HUD in the CX-5. This is super-cool technology and anything that keeps you eyes up and on the road seems like a huge win. If I get a CX-5, it will have the HUD.

The interior was a win for the CX-5. The RAV4 was harder to get in/out of and my wife seemed particularly bothered by the interior - she thought it looked cheap. I was Okay with it.

Since the wife and I aren't in agreement, we'll stay on the sidelines and see what the tide brings in. But I have to say that I'm starting to think my next car will be hybrid or maybe even pure electric. I love motoring away from a stop with electric torque, no engine noise, no gear changes.....just smooth thrust. Toyota's hybrid systems are really nice and super fuel efficient - the RAV4 hybrid ratings are 40 mpg combined.

- Mark

I'm sorta in the market, so I test drove a 2019 RAV4 Hybrid in XLE trim back-to-back with ah 2019 CX-5 GT-R. I have to be honest and say I was more impressed with the Toyota drivetrain - the hybrid setup just seemed smoother and more refined with a little more power when you really romped on it. The CX-5 example I drove seemed less smooth and coarser than the non-turbos I've driven, although the extra power was nice. Maybe I was driving a green car that would smooth out later.

Very enamored with the HUD in the CX-5. This is super-cool technology and anything that keeps you eyes up and on the road seems like a huge win. If I get a CX-5, it will have the HUD.

The interior was a win for the CX-5. The RAV4 was harder to get in/out of and my wife seemed particularly bothered by the interior - she thought it looked cheap. I was Okay with it.

Since the wife and I aren't in agreement, we'll stay on the sidelines and see what the tide brings in. But I have to say that I'm starting to think my next car will be hybrid or maybe even pure electric. I love motoring away from a stop with electric torque, no engine noise, no gear changes.....just smooth thrust. Toyota's hybrid systems are really nice and super fuel efficient - the RAV4 hybrid ratings are 40 mpg combined.

- Mark
Thanks for sharing your experience on 2019 Toyota RAV4 XLE Hybrid and Mazda CX-5 GTR. Are these the FWD or AWD?

I also would like to see someone test-driving a RAV4 XSE Hybrid which has sport suspension.

I have similar feeling like you towards electrical vehicle after I drove a Chevy Bolt. The torque is instant and it's very quiet. The only problem is still the range and charging time which makes it very inconvenient or even impossible to drive for a long road trip. Hybrid is still the best combination of both worlds. And Toyota hybrid has been known for reliability and efficiency. It has become a mature product for vehicles for sure.

It seems if the RAV4 assembled in Canada it'd have poorer interior quality and if it's from Japan it'd be better. But no matter the interior in CX-5 definitely feels nicer.

- Mark

If I were you, I'd buy the RAV Hybrid. You seem kinda torn, and over 10mpg one way or the other seems like a deal clincher to me.

Back