2019 Mazda CX-5 vs. 2019 Toyota RAV4 (Car&Driver)

bigtex

:
17 CX-5 GT 14 CX-5 GT (sold)
"While the Toyota is competent, the Mazda is exemplary. It's not the most spacious people hauler in the segment, but for those whose needs track more toward the modest end of the spectrum, the CX-5 is, in the words of one staffer, "a class-above vehicle despite its middle-of-the-pack pricing." Another, considering the Mazda against any other competitor, called it "no contest." In a field full of mainstream nameplates, the CX-5 feels like a full-blown luxury offering. That it drives in a way that will please enthusiasts merely takes what already has broad appeal and further distills it for those who care differently."

www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a27548756/2019-mazda-cx-5-vs-2019-toyota-rav4/

Thanks for sharing. Hopefully my CX-5 Sig will arrive next week, and I*ve been rethinking if I made a good decision. This will be my first SUV (always had more fun to drive cars). You helped put me at ease.

That Toyota interior looks awful. I thought the tablet jutting out the top of the dash was bad, but just look at that monstrosity on the Toyota.

What really stood out t o me was that the CX5 has 1 cubic inch more displacement. I will forever refer to it as the "big engine" and the RAV4 as the "small engine" CUV, respectively.

98 VW Passat, 2002 Audi TT Quattro 6 sad, 2007 BMW 328 XI w/ sports pkg 6 spd, and 2015 Mini JCW edition, auto with Paddle Shifters (trading for Mazda). I know I will miss the paddles

I believe paddles can be modded on.

Thanks Colorado - never even thought to check that. Will see how It goes. It*s a totally different beast than the Mini, but looking forward to the leather interior and tech. Plus 3 speeding tickets w/ the Mini. Maybe the CX will moderate me a little

It doesn't matter how positive or glowing of a review it is for the CX-5. Despite the Cx-5 having some of the best reviews by auto mags and websites, year in and year out in the segment, the Toyota and Honda homers always come out in full force to tell everyone why the Rav4 and CRV are superior choices over the CX-5.

It doesn't matter how positive or glowing of a review it is for the CX-5. Despite the Cx-5 having some of the best reviews by auto mags and websites, year in and year out in the segment, the Toyota and Honda homers always come out in full force to tell everyone why the Rav4 and CRV are superior choices over the CX-5.

You're right. Even now with the sudden airbag deployment the Honda fanboys will still praise the CR-V. I check both forums since my wife has a CR-V and the latest with the
airbag fiasco is just ho-hum. They'll take it in stride like they're doing with the oil dilution problem or the bad vibrations on the 2013 - 2016 models.

You're right. Even now with the sudden airbag deployment the Honda fanboys will still praise the CR-V. I check both forums since my wife has a CR-V and the latest with the
airbag fiasco is just ho-hum. They'll take it in stride like they're doing with the oil dilution problem or the bad vibrations on the 2013 - 2016 models.

I'm not sure they're taking the oil dilution in stride, unless outrage has died down since I was on those forums last fall when car shopping. I'd find it hard to believe it has, since we're talking a significant detriment to engine performance and life along with a jump in maintenance expense and inconvenience (changing oil every 1,000 miles in some cases). It's not like a fragile paint color.

That being said, I read an article some time ago claiming you don't always get the best car advice when asking the opinion of current owners (and I guess this applies to everything else). People are hesitant to admit their mistakes, so you get all upside and little reality.

I've never owned a Mazda before (been driving for over 45 years). Now that I see what you get for the price point, and now that I have experienced "Kodo," I don't know why they don't have a larger market share. Do people really spend this kind of money based on entertainment system and cup holder design?

Mazda wasn't all that amazing 20 years ago. That's why.

I hadn't thought about that. I recall the wankel commercials back in the day. And quite a few coworkers were buying Miatas in the early 90s (maybe earlier than that?). I'm not conversant enough in the brand to know if those early Miatas were nice sports cars or if they were all show and no go. I've never really been a gear head.

Back