Gas Problems

Hello, I just bought (1 month ago) a CX-5 2019 Touring AWD.

I started having 2 problems that drive me a bit crazy.

1. When I accelerate at a low speed (low rpm), and when I put on the gas pedal,
it starts making the ticking sound. When I start going in a high speed, it goes away.

2. The car smells gas really badly when I turn the car on and the AC on.

Do I have to check it out? I feel like it will be a bad problem if I just leave it.

it starts making the ticking sound. When I start going in a high speed, it goes away.

Do I have to check it out? I feel like it will be a bad problem if I just leave it.

I automatically thought this post was relating to a digestive problem.(evil)

What's the worst thing that could possibly happen if it is a gasoline leak? An explosion? A fire? You burn to death?

Of course it could be a big problem. Since you have a brand new car, I believe it is still under warranty and I suggest you waste no time getting to your dealer's service department.

Yes, you have to check it out. ASAP.

You sure its a gas smell and not just a shop chemical smell? The CX-5 is known to have a relatively pungent shop smell when its brand new and its nothing to worry about, its just the coatings/lubricants wearing in.

There are a lot of reasons for engine clicking at low speeds and many aren't serious but need to be addressed.

Let us know what you find out.

Last edited:

How many miles do you have on the CX5? Where is the ticking noise coming from? Engine? Tires/Suspension? How loud? I've noticed this on my 2018 CX5 from the driver side but only when the windows are down.

You sure it*s a gas smell and not just a shop chemical smell? The CX-5 is known to have a relatively pungent shop smell when it*s brand new and it*s nothing to worry about, it*s just the coatings/lubricants wearing in.

There are a lot of reasons for engine clicking at low speeds and many aren't serious but need to be addressed.

+1 to chemical smells. Factory engines have normally have all sorts of chemicals on them that burn off over time. The only thing that is odd is that you're mentioning it at start up and not after driving.

You sure it*s a gas smell and not just a shop chemical smell? The CX-5 is known to have a relatively pungent shop smell when it*s brand new and it*s nothing to worry about, it*s just the coatings/lubricants wearing in.

3600km on my new 2019 Turbo and I'm still smelling the 'shop smell'. Just FYI for anyone who's experiencing the same thing.

As a reference. Just took a 19' CX5 Touring on a spirited drive up through the mountains with 3700miles (6000km) and was still smelling the burnoff.

hey jjm86m , that doesn't sound right ... after 3700 miles ???

I got about 300 miles and took it to mountains few weeks ago when it had 200miles ,and we smelled that oily tar burning smell...
of course dealer said it would burn off within first 100 miles.............

Back