Key Fob Battery Replacement Question

:
2021 Acura RDX
So, I finally got the battery in my key fob is low message on my display (17 GT). I've had the car just short of 2 years, and currently have 17k miles on it. Is this about the average length of these batteries with periodic use? I know that this varies, but I'm just curious what kind of average length people are getting with these batteries.

Note - don't have batteries plus change it for you. They used a screw driver (didn't see them do it and scuffed up my plastic remote shell.) Kind of makes me mad, but oh well - my own fault for being lazy.

Thanks all!

Also, would you suggest replacing the spare remote battery yearly as well even if I never use the remote?

Good question. I've never done that, but probably a good idea after 6 years sitting for my spare.

There's no need to replace the battery until it tells you. It gives you a ton of warning.
Re: spare key. You should swap keys every now and then.

Now that my case is scuffed (thanks to me being lazy and having Batteries Plus install the new battery), I went ahead and replaced the other remote battery since it was a 2 battery pack. For that I used a stiff credit card and it worked great. I would recommend something like that to prevent scuffing up your casing. Lesson learned!

With the utmost respect: you're a bonehead jman. [emoji16] Seriously, a term of endearment with my friends.

Last edited:
There's no need to replace the battery until it tells you. It gives you a ton of warning.
Re: spare key. You should swap keys every now and then.

I had heard this before...perhaps here somewhere. Or maybe my sales guy.

This is not to monitor battery strength, is it? Doesn't this make certain that both FOBs stay recognizable to the car? I can't recall specifics, and the manual makes no such recommendation that I could find.

Or perhaps I imagined this.

That's nice. New CX-5s have that kind of alert?

From the manual:

Battery life is about 1 year. Replace the battery with a new one if the KEY indicator light (green) flashes in the instrument cluster (for vehicles with a type A/type B instrument cluster (page 4-13, 4-29), messages are displayed in the instrument cluster). Replacing the battery about once a year is recommended because the KEY warning light/indicator light may not illuminate or flash depending on the rate of battery depletion.

The manual does not specify which trims have which instrument cluster types.

The light is in the Start button...you press on the brake and it lights steady Green meaning it sees the key & is ready to start. The light flashes if no key is present (or I guess if the battery is too weak to transmit properly).

Last edited:
My 2016 GT alerts me when fob battery is low. Replacing the battery is super easy, maybe a 2 minute job.

Battery life is about a year, my foot. Sounds like Mazda is hoping you buy batteries from them. My car is almost exactly 2 1/2 years old still original batteries.

Last edited:
I believe my battery lasted 4 years if I recall correctly. I seem to recall replacing it in 2017. Bought the car in 2013. I could be wrong, but it was for sure more than 1 or 2 years.

Back