2017~2024 CX-5 Turbo muffler development @ Racing Beat

:
NC2 Miata & CX-5 Sg
CX-5 Turbo muffler development @ Racing Beat

Hey guys,

Just wanted to share some info from my recent trip to Racing Beat (no affiliation), note the lack of turbo muffler here: http://www.racingbeat.com/CX5/Cat-Back-Exhausts.html

I brought my 2019 CX-5 Signature in to have the existing RB (non-turbo) muffler test fitted.

What we found was:
The OEM turbo muffler is about the same weight and size as the RB (non-turbo) muffler. - (both are about 10 lbs lighter and smaller than the OEM non-turbo muffler)
A test with a decibel meter showed no audible difference between the existing RB muffler and OEM turbo muffler. (the turbo quiets down the exhaust significantly)
and the tips stick out a little too far.

Racing Beat is developing a new turbo muffler version based on testing done that day and will contact me when the new one is ready for testing.
I plan on dynoing before and after (with no tuning at this time).

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you ever get the axleback fitted and do those dyno runs?

Hi, yes I did!
I'm getting some miles on it now to let the usual carbon build up in the muffler, sometimes they change how they sound after some miles; then I will take some video.

We made several dyno pulls and as expected; the ecu adjusts for the new component after the initial pull and the power drops... but not all the way!

Power gains are around +7 horsepower and +9 torque after everything levels out.

The sound is very slightly increased from stock, as I would expect a luxury car to sound. At first I thought it might be too quiet, but after driving it around a while I think its actually perfect. I will try my best to describe it in leu of a video:

Instead of it getting louder, I would say the noise you hear from the engine is now met with equal sound from the rear when you get on it but when cruising you don't hear anything. Due to the better insulation on this chassis (over the previous) it is a slightly different story if you are outside the car; it has a nice mellow note that you can tell is tuned up a bit if you're a 'car person', but not enough to alert everyone in the vicinity to your presence.

Attached is the Dyno plot. This is a Mustang dyno - if you aren't familiar with dynos, the Mustang dynos read a bit low and Dynojet reads a bit high, but since we are comparing run against run on the same day and same dyno it doesn't really matter; the gains would be about the same. This is with 91 octane (I don't have 93 anywhere close by).

I'm preparing for Miata Reunion right now, but when I get back I will work on getting a video clip of the exhaust. (My wife will be bringing the CX5 to Laguna Seca if you're there and want to check it out- its red.)

RB Tip.jpeg stock tip.jpg CX5-Dyno.jpg

Nice, thanks for the follow up! The exhaust looks great btw, much nicer than the OEM tips.

Looks awesome man, and I know it sounds great!

I think 93 octane would put both gains in the teens easily.

Good job, again, and enjoy it, it really is a nice touch.

Hi, yes I did!
I'm getting some miles on it now to let the usual carbon build up in the muffler, sometimes they change how they sound after some miles; then I will take some video.

We made several dyno pulls and as expected; the ecu adjusts for the new component after the initial pull and the power drops... but not all the way!

The sound is very slightly increased from stock, as I would expect a luxury car to sound. At first I thought it might be too quiet, but after driving it around a while I think its actually perfect. I will try my best to describe it in leu of a video:

Instead of it getting louder, I would say the noise you hear from the engine is now met with equal sound from the rear when you get on it but when cruising you don't hear anything. Due to the better insulation on this chassis (over the previous) it is a slightly different story if you are outside the car; it has a nice mellow note that you can tell is tuned up a bit if you're a 'car person', but not enough to alert everyone in the vicinity to your presence.

Attached is the Dyno plot. This is a Mustang dyno - if you aren't familiar with dynos, the Mustang dynos read a bit low and Dynojet reads a bit high, but since we are comparing run against run on the same day and same dyno it doesn't really matter; the gains would be about the same. This is with 91 octane (I don't have 93 anywhere close by).

I'm preparing for Miata Reunion right now, but when I get back I will work on getting a video clip of the exhaust. (My wife will be bringing the CX5 to Laguna Seca if you're there and want to check it out- its red.)

View attachment 221590 View attachment 221591 View attachment 221592
Looks great. I’m considering getting this for my GTR.

Any chance you could post those videos?

Thanks!

1) I wish @inertiadrifter4 (or forum admin) would fix the typo in the post title; so this could actually be found easier with searches.

2) any comparison of this to the newly developed (Feb 2020) CorkSport?

Hi, yes I did!

View attachment 221590 View attachment 221591 View attachment 221592
Is the turbo version the same part number? Also, any videos of this?

Reached out to Racing beat about mufflers for the turbo version, and received the following response:

"
Development did start on the Turbo some time back but we have since stopped the project. The NA exhaust does fit onto the Turbo model and we do have a few customers running this. Since this muffler was developed for the NA, it does have more packing material to quiet the exhaust so when used on the Turbo, it will sound subtle. It will be deeper under full throttle but most of the other times, you will not hear the exhaust.

Best regards,

Mike Liao
Racing Beat LLC"

So more packing for NA engine = quieter muffler + turbo = even quieter muffler. Hmm.

Back